• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

This Is A Call To Arms Will You Stand Beside Me?

This is our time to fight. No More Compramising. I think we need to get really serious in the reptile pet trade and find a loop hole to get other tegu species into the u.s even if we have to make a patition to where you have get certified to own/inport/export various species of them and other reptiles. any thoughts on this?

roastedspleen

im sorry to say all of none of us are even herpetologists... the thing about this dull dead forum is its for the purpose of more advice and stuff like people sharing their news of their lizards or snakes.... we cant petition for a permit we just wait and see if its lifted

plus it would mean more diseased imports

roastedspleen said:
im sorry to say all of none of us are even herpetologists... the thing about this dull dead forum is its for the purpose of more advice and stuff like people sharing their news of their lizards or snakes.... we cant petition for a permit we just wait and see if its lifted

plus it would mean more diseased imports

this has nothing to do with being a herpetologist, even the reptile inthusiest, conservationest, and reptile lovers would be glad to see such a ban be lifted and most of the ones ive talked to on here already have been wanting to do somehting like this and do some conservation things. the thing is being a herp doesntm ake you a herpetologist, it just means you love rpetiles which we all do or we wouldnt be on here. and we can actually do this with a petition, it was done else where when some snake laws went into effect so owners of certain species could keep them. and for some now you can get certified and liscense to own them, itd be the same sanero only with tegus ect. and there will always be disease ect, that doesnt really matter it can be weeded out and killed out over time with proper care and help until its eradicated before releasing them into the public as pets. its a really a meer buttl oad of signatures and letters till someone gets fed up in office and caves in which is what happened last time and it finally made them listen to logic after they saw the boa and pyhton owners were dead seriously and really cared baout this issue and wouldnt sotp fighitng for it til it was resolved. which it was in that area. i just wish i wasnt half asleep so i could remember what state or states that was in.
RobK. said:
roastedspleen said:
. the thing about this dull dead forum

why do you bother if its so dull and dead or boring to you ?? :huh:

love your work if you took those. ive always wanted photos of my bands with imagesl ike that just out in nature pro shot with abornal weatherings ect going on caught visible only for that instant then trapped forever within that stil image that appears to be alive. :D

RobK.

BlackendMetalDeathHead666 said:
roastedspleen said:
love your work if you took those. ive always wanted photos of my bands with imagesl ike that just out in nature pro shot with abornal weatherings ect going on caught visible only for that instant then trapped forever within that stil image that appears to be alive. :D

Thanks , yes i took those near our home here in N Utah . WE moved here from Sacramento 6 years ago . I love it here , its very quit , very very little crime and all my neighbours are great Sacramento was the complete opposite , very high crime , and gang members everywhere , gun shots every night , and the ghetto bird ( sheriff helicopter ) flying over every night . IT was a very bad area to live unless you made big money to live in a higher income area . So moving here was the best thing we ever did , i just wish we had done it 20 years ago so our kids did not have to live in the bad environment .

Here i am in my duck boat with my hunting buddy( Jake ) , you can see what it looks like in the valley ( Cache Valley Utah ) we live in .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/6/2b5aKiave1k

I didn't thing this was still on there , but if you look on National geographic web site you will see a photo of a old house i took at sunset . Scroll to the bottom on the link below .see where it says'' JUNE WEEK 3 '' in the box ? scroll down on that click on August week 3 , then use the arrow and and scroll right ( click three times ) until you see a old house bright orange , that's it .

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/daily-dozen

thanks for you complement !!!!

Rob Kempton

RobK.

RobK. said:
BlackendMetalDeathHead666 said:

I didn't thing this was still on there , but if you look on National geographic web site you will see a photo of a old house i took at sunset . Scroll to the bottom on the link below .see where it says'' JUNE WEEK 3 '' in the box ? scroll down on that click on August week 3 ,( '2007') then use the arrow and and scroll right ( click three times ) until you see a old house bright orange , that's it .

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/daily-dozen

thanks for you complement !!!!

Rob Kempton

sorry but it august ''2007'' week 3 , at the very bottom when you scroll down in the box that says June week 4

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think the import/export ban is appropriate to keep overharvesting of native species. Tegus are also harvested for food by S American natives.

Grendel

Agree with laurarfl. Bans are there to protect wildlife. There are already plenty of exotic and interesting animals available in the US. Lifting a ban just to have yet another animal to keep in captivity, is not a good cause.

montana

Money buys anything you just haven`t found the right people yet ...

You want to pay for it people will sell it to you ...

Just watch for setups tho ...

Who would ever know what kind of lizard it is you have unless you were to tell some one and what do you think they would really do to you if you were caught ...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with Laura, while i would love to see some of those interesting tegu species in the pet trade and my home, i have to respect the wildlife, and i think if the ban was lifted you would have some greedy people who would go hunting down these animals and that could lead to overkill then what If the tegu farms exported other breeds than merianae and rufecsen that would be a much better because the animals would be bred on the farm not hunted down (just as long as they arent leather farms) hopefully oneday they will farm raise them and export them

montana

While I have never been to Argentina I did spend a few years in Panama ,Nicaragua and Costa Rica back in the early 80s ...

I know many of you that live in the cities cant find a flat rock and it may be hard for you to Imagine but those places are BIG WOODS ....

If you think that people could in any way affect reptiles someone has been feeding you a line ..

Most places there no one ever goes [or can go ] It`s all political and while they are clearing many areas that is the reason for the demise of species [they still have a ling way to go ]

People catching lizards and selling them can in no way affect populations of said reptiles ...

got10

First, you would have to pay off the politicians. Then youd'e have have to find a reputable exporter dealer to bring them over . As much as I would love to have them here .I still would have concerns as to the health and husbandry of the animals being imported to this country..

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We're picking up steam! :) Anything suggestions on how I can improve the site?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I respectfully disagree, but agree with you, Montana. It is a combination of habitat destruction and over-harvesting that reduces reptile numbers. Yes, I really do believe that harvesting can impact numbers. There are species that have have seen reduction in numbers from such practices including Hogg Island Boas, Tonle Sap water snakes, and a variety of turtle species. Sometimes it is widespread decline and sometimes it is sharp decline in certain areas.

It is a matter of more than petitions. People have been petitioning against stricter laws, but more and mroe bans have been popping up, rather then the reverse. Import and transport laws are getting tighter rather than more lenient. And it is not just reptiles, but California is facing tighter regulations on their exotic cat laws as well. I don't want to be the doomsayer, but I don't see the importation of reptiles opening up soon. Plus, a lot of it is not solely on the US side, but on other countries with an interest in protecting their native flora and fauna.

Josh said:
We're picking up steam! :) Anything suggestions on how I can improve the site?

do something kinda like photo bucket where we can click onto a page where theres a list of members who have created albums of their tegus and dumped their tegu phots into their albums? so if yo uwanted to see say, Josh's Blue Tegu youd just click Josh, then click blue tegu photos. and tada there you go! :) maybe a tegu talk weekly news letter as well?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with laura, it will get worse way before it gets better. Many states are attempting to ban the ownership of many large reptiles. What makes you think they would allow more to be brought in.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my state, they are already banned. You can only own certain large animals if you are grandfathered in (they can't be replaced once they die) or if you have them for business purposes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980