• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Thinking of adopting....

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's sad. My Charlie was a rescue and then the guy who took him kept him in a 3ft tank and fed him a mouse or banana a week and water when he remembered. And that was the rescue! So he was rescued from the "rescue", and given to the guy who eventually gave him to me. Even though Charlie didn't have the best start, he's 42" and 11lbs. He has a bent tail and tender mouth, but looks healthy otherwise.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tjohnson722 said:
I am afraid I don't know enough about tegus especially a underfed, underweight one.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Spoken like a responsible keeper. Somebody "rescuing" an animal they know nothing or very little about is generally not a good situation. Also you don't want your first experience with tegus to be a negative one. Just find a healthy tegu ands you wilbe much happier.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I have done rescue with pets and wildlife, and believe me, even with information that is species specific you can run into such problems and never mind the expense. I feel for you though.my heart bleeds when I see neglect. :(

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Teg

tjohnson722 said:
I am afraid I don't know enough about tegus especially a underfed, underweight one.

Good point ! But surely he can't be any worse off than where he is now, few days on here and you will be up to it, fantastic advice !

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
If you 100% know what you're getting into...rescue him. But know that he may or may not be ok. Just be prepared. If you don't feel like you have the time money or stamina to aggressively maintain his health, just go for a healthy one. I had to give up rehabbing insectivoris bats and other random wildlife and pets because my limits had been reached and i kept taking on more than I could reasonably handle. I saw my dismal plight and as I rehabbed and released the last of them I promised 'no more '. So like i said, if you are up for the time money and research it takes to do it...do it. I know it's hard to say no to an animal in need...TRUST ME. either way...good luck with whatever you decide :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

tjohnson722

I have an idea what I would be facing. However, it would require so much attention. I'm not prepared to give. More attention than a healthy Tegu. With my kids who are very young, I'm not sure a sick Tegu would work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980