• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

The start of ......

RobK.

Romi's new cage .

it going to be 4' wide 4' tall and 8' ' long , with a walk in door on one end . The bottom is really beefed up and will have 6 dolly wheels so i can be moved to clean under . It going to be prefab so i will build it , then take it apart and move it onto his room later , bolt back to together . Its going to have a ton of sand stone for three layer of basking area or i may use tiled for multi layer basking shelves . ?? The inside back corners MAY be rounded on the inside with a wrap around back drop of a rock pattern sheets . I decided to start now take my time and do it right . A little $$$$ each payday . It will have two 48''. 10.0 reptisun and two 5000 k lights and a 160 watt MVB too . The front 1/4 of the top and side will be tampered to give a good view . I went taller than longer as to make him climb rocks and shelves for exercise and keep his nails short . The floor and 4'' up the sides with be grouted with tile . So the floor needs to be very strong for the rocks and tile , no plex . The back right corner will have a small bath/tub recessed into the floor with a valve and drain . I will se about adding another humidifier if needed . The one i have will be dropping humidity from the ceiling over the tub , so i will see how far the humidity will drift .

roninwcage1.jpg

RobK. said:
Romi's new cage .

it going to be 4' wide 4' tall and 8' ' long , with a walk in door on one end . The bottom is really beefed up and will have 6 dolly wheels so i can be moved to clean under . It going to be prefab so i will build it , then take it apart and move it onto his room later , bolt back to together . Its going to have a ton of sand stone for three layer of basking area or i may use tiled for multi layer basking shelves . ?? The inside back corners MAY be rounded on the inside with a wrap around back drop of a rock pattern sheets . I decided to start now take my time and do it right . A little $$$$ each payday . It will have two 48''. 10.0 reptisun and two 5000 k lights and a 160 watt MVB too . The front 1/4 of the top and side will be tampered to give a good view . I went taller than longer as to make him climb rocks and shelves for exercise and keep his nails short . The floor and 4'' up the sides with be grouted with tile . So the floor needs to be very strong for the rocks and tile , no plex . The back right corner will have a small bath/tub recessed into the floor with a valve and drain . I will se about adding another humidifier if needed . The one i have will be dropping humidity from the ceiling over the tub , so i will see how far the humidity will drift .

roninwcage1.jpg

I know its over kill ,but this is what the inside of the floor looks like . Plywood on top and bottom and reinforce where the rocks are going to be .

roninwcage2.jpg

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like it will be awesome once it is done. Can't wait to see it progress.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's going to be massive! Can't wait to see photos of the progress and then the finished product! Keep up the good work! I wish I was good at working with wood...

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
Wish my house was bigger, err I had less furniture. Looks like it's going to be great! Will be anticipating the end result. ;)

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I can't wait to see step by step on how you do it :) . It's going to be a awesome encosure ;) . I was just thinking. Don't dolly tires loose air after a while when there is alot of weight put on them ? How are you going to put the air back in the tires when the enclosure sits on them ? There should be some tires that don't loose any air. It was just a thought.

RobK.

txrepgirl said:
I can't wait to see step by step on how you do it :) . It's going to be a awesome encosure ;) . I was just thinking. Don't dolly tires loose air after a while when there is alot of weight put on them ? How are you going to put the air back in the tires when the enclosure sits on them ? There should be some tires that don't loose any air. It was just a thought.

sorry , i meant coaster style wheels , solid rubber with bearings and the wheels swivel . I just bought 8 tonight , rated for up to 2000 LBS :D

Josh said:
That's going to be massive!

We will see how massive it looks in two years when he's 5 ' and 20 lbs . :huh: He is now 35'' and getting some girth to him , FAST .

I just love his profile .
Since i smashed my nose i thing he and i are starting to look a lot alike . LOL

roniheadshot.jpg

going to see if can pick 2 sheets of this in Salt lake . NOT sure $$$$$$ .

http://www.syntheticrocksolutions.com/products/faux-rock-panels/fieldstone/fieldstone.php

RobK.

RobK. said:
http://www.syntheticrocksolutions.com/products/faux-rock-panels/fieldstone/fieldstone.php

or some of this

http://www.fauxpanels.com/nailon/stonewall-panel.php?color=167

Maro1

Rob,

Looking forward to seeing this built. I am also in the building stage. well actually the design stage so I may use some of your ideas. Looking awesome!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very nice Rob. I look forward to seeing the end result. Roni looks like one hell of a stunner! Hope your injuries heal up quickly.

Draco D Tegu

You know you can make your own synthetic stone right? And for a whole lot cheaper. Get yourself some styrofoam, thinset mortar, glue and have at it. Create your form with the foam, glue it together and cover it with thinset. Cover it THICKLY though. Tegu claws will shred it if it's too thin (just like synth. stone).

Sorry I thought this was for a gu.....still, for a lizard as big as he will get, cover it thickly.

Maro1

Draco D Tegu said:
You know you can make your own synthetic stone right? And for a whole lot cheaper. Get yourself some styrofoam, thinset mortar, glue and have at it. Create your form with the foam, glue it together and cover it with thinset. Cover it THICKLY though. Tegu claws will shred it if it's too thin (just like synth. stone).

Sorry I thought this was for a gu.....still, for a lizard as big as he will get, cover it thickly.

I have used this method of making stone. It works great. I would add though. It takes about a dozen coats before Rhino iguana nails stop breaking through it.

Maro1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Good luck with the new encloser robk,i'll go a simplier route lol,but robk you always have great cage ideas and creative ideas.Cant wait too see it when its done.

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Rob,

Looking forward to seeing this built. I am also in the building stage. well actually the design stage so I may use some of your ideas. Looking awesome!

got to show us some Pics as you go . :D

well off to Lowes to get more wood , 2 - 4'x8' , 4 -1x1'' and screws . $$$$$

Maro1 said:
Rob, Are you done yet? :)

My $$$$ will run out for this month today , the next pay day do more and the next month and so fourth . My last cage cost me over 500.00 OUCH depending on background i get this will be way more .

RobK.

cage.jpg

teguboy77 said:
Well i payed 295 shipped for my new hatchling from tom crutchfield,i've seen hatchlings go 175.

yep toms are not cheap . i hope he was warm when you got him ??

owning these guys can be pricey . mine was also 295 shipped . vet bills 700.00 +/- , first cage 500.00 , i bet i have paid out 200 in lights , 165 .00 UVB meter and 30.00 temp gun . electric bill went up 50.00 a month this winter . distilled water $1.20 a gallon @ 5 GAL PER WEEK . he going through two bundle of collard green , one endive . 1/4 of green bean beans a week AND ON AND ON AND ON ...............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ . But i love and have no regrets , he's family !!!!

Maro1 said:
Rob, Are you done yet? :)

:D:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029