• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu problem

pauljr456

5 Year Member
i used gloves but i didnt put my hand in the fingers he went after it bit it then calmed down a bit i pet him with the glove on then i took him out i took off the gloves and he was fine but when he sees my hand with no glove in the enclosure he wants to kill me

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
pauljr456 said:
i used gloves but i didnt put my hand in the fingers he went after it bit it then calmed down a bit i pet him with the glove on then i took him out i took off the gloves and he was fine but when he sees my hand with no glove in the enclosure he wants to kill me

First, George Patton would slap you for talk like that. That being said, did you get him just recently or did you raise him from a baby? I think that before you had him, he was fed live food inside the enclosure and was never handled. I think he is used to live prey just being dropped into his enclosure and then he chases it. That would cause the cage aggression. Try letting him climb out of the cage on his own and when he comes out, then handle him. Another thing could be that the previous owner fed him by hand and when the tegu started associating hands and fingers with food, he started going after fingers. Then the previous owner didn't know what to do, so he sold him to you. Now stop being a baby and put on your helmet and get in the game. Do like zee Dog Weesperer and be a calm, assertive pack leader. Make him calm submissive. Now get off the computer and get in there!

pauljr456

5 Year Member
first off i did that so he would get used to hands and he will let me enter his enclosure with gloves no problem to do cleaning and stuff and yesturday after i fed him in his enclosure i let him be he charge at the glass calmed down i opend the cage and he just walked out straight to me i picked him up had him out for awhile then he **** on me lol but other than that i think hes making progress and i just got him hes about 2ft and hes a male

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I had a rat years ago that I could not remove from cage without gloves, but once out she was fine.also, my daughter's corn snake wants to strike when removing from tank or from feed tub...so I put a sock on my hand when moving from tank, and from feed tub I just wait until she crawls over the lip of the tub to get her. The reason I mention these things is because perhaps, like dubya suggested, he was fed in tank and not handled, so associates fingers with food. And also I believe some beasts are just more territorial,etc than others (ie my rat,etc) so you just need to find your happy medium with him.like whatever way you get him out, once out touch his head and face a lot to get him used to your fingers not being food...try different 'exercises ' with him to develop a calmer association with your hands...then maybe eventually he will act more docile around them.just suggestions. :sleepy:

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Teg

I'm not claiming to be an expert !! but what seemed to work with my situation .. It may sound silly though !! Was to clinch my fist and put it to rest next to Teg's basking spot but the clincher was I think ! when i was lying down next to the enclosure doing this and rather him and me staring each other out all nervous !! lol i closed my eyes and pretended to sleep with him for about 45 min ! well what a difference in his attitude !!! Not to mention i was peeking !! lol Give it a go ! Mind your fingers though, like I said clinch your fist !! Good luck ! Teg is about 3-4 months old got him 2 weeks ago, been out of enclosure 4 times for app 20 min each time and now interacting with family and children and loves to bet stroked ! I'm surprised really !?

DavidRosi

I got my Colombian as a juvi and almost went down the gloved route... But kind of thought it'd be harder if he ever associated glove as friend and hand as foe...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029