• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu problem

pauljr456

5 Year Member
I got my tegu today he was acting really good but when i pet his head he lifts it up and when i pet his back he arches it idk what that behavior is but anyway my main concern is that he got settled in his enclosure and now when i open the door and put my hand in he charges at me and i dont want that can anyone give me advice to whats going on the guy i got him from said he was under for about 3 days so im thinking hibernation but yet now hes up also hes about a year if that helps and hes 2' long

pauljr456

5 Year Member
i dont want to feed him in the enclosure

whats the back arching behaviour though and how am i gonna be able to feed him

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Feed him in the enclosure for a week or two as to reduce stress. It's what's best for the animal. If you don't want to then you could forcibly remove him, put him in a tub with the food and hope he eats but I would suggest switching to tub feeding AFTER he has time to adjust.

pauljr456

5 Year Member
well he ate today no problem out of the enclosure but if its gonna stop him from charging to bite me then i guess thats what ima have to resort to

pauljr456

5 Year Member
if i open the door hes fine he watches everything as soon as he sees my hand or even my finger go into the door he charges at me super fast

Deac77

5 Year Member
Just depends Kirby never came after me but then again he's still a baby and I have him 2 weeks to acclimate properly and he has the proper cage/diet requirements and that makes a big difference also your dealing with a highly intelligent reptile with its own personality they vary

Diablo

5 Year Member
As everyone has said before.....leave him be for a week or so. Yoshi at first wanted nothing to do with me. All I ever did for two weeks was open the cage to tong feed him or change the water. When I first put my hand in he gnawed on it until he realized he couldn't eat it. After that he has never tried biting me. He licks me all the time but never bites. Honestly I say stick your hand in and let him bite the hell out of you until he realizes he can't swallow you. After that he shouldn't anymore.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
pauljr456 said:
i cant put my hand in there without him charging at me

Do not feed him live food. He probably is used to chasing anything that moves. I feed mine inside the enclosure all the time and he is never aggressive. He only goes after the food dish, not my hands. If you feed him in the enclosure, get him used to seeing your hands doing other things such as changing his water dish, spot cleaning, cleaning off his basking spot, etc. When I put my hand on the floor of the cage, he just sniffs it and climbs up my arm. Once you start feeding dead feeders or raw meats, eventually, he should calm down. Alternately, you can immediately stop him from charging by just taking away his credit card.

pauljr456

5 Year Member
well hes a year or so so how bad would the bite be i guess ima just have to suck it up and stick my hand in there

hes also never eaten live food

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
pauljr456 said:
well hes a year or so so how bad would the bite be i guess ima just have to suck it up and stick my hand in there

hes also never eaten live food

Chuck Norris would stick his hand in with an alligator and pull it out with a pair of alligator boots. Put on your chest wig and put your hand in there.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
[attachment=5684]Just do it. Chuck Norris would.

Attachments

• Invasion+USA+Chuck+Norris+Alligator.jpg
    Invasion+USA+Chuck+Norris+Alligator.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 5

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029