• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tarot

HeatherN

thankyou! sometimes, when you spend some time with them, names will just come to you. doesn't hurt to have some lined up though lol. but he won't mind if he spends some time without a name. ;)

HeatherN

its been awhile, but thats because i was off on vacation at Bass Lake, CA. (~30 mins from yosemite)

before the trip, tarot was making good progress on his taming and growth. i was nervous though, since i had to take him with me on the trip, and he wasnt leash trained or socialized well. to my surprise, he took to it very well. i transported him in a cat carrier with some of his cage's substrate and his hide. that is what he spent his nights in, and he spent the days in a large bin with his t shirt in it either under the basking lamp or the natural sun. at first he was jumpy around the new people and noise they made, but he quickly adjusted, and even let other people hold and pet him (gently with my supervision). he ate almost everyday, and towards the end of the week, i let him walk around of the sand and swim a bit since he was being so well behaved. he stayed close to me and didnt get into any trouble. he even would curl on my shoulder, arm, or leg to fall asleep, due to their warmth. i brought him back a sterile piece of driftwood from the lake that he really took a shining to.

now that were home, i dont have to chase him around the cage to get him out, and i trust him more to walk around on his own without running away. hes also much more calm in my presence, as well as just in general.

hes shed a couple times since my last post, including today. now hes around 14 - 14.5 inches long and losing most of the green on his head. even so young, the precursors of jowls are showing up; when hes in certain positions, he looks like a mini yearling starting to develop them, its quite funny to me.

being my worrying self, i am a tad distressed by what looks like the tegu equivalent to a "fat lip". its very mild, just a little swollen spot spanning maybe two lip scales. examining it (which he let me do without incident), there doesnt seem to be an open sore, or any type of debris. im hoping its just the equivalent of a little lizard canker sore and will heal up in time, especially when his mouth shed finishes.

thanks everyone for reading! :D

Thelegendofcharlie said:
I see youre feeling gratuitous word the word semi...
Me too - ;)

iBLrG.gif

HeatherN

quartz, i love that gif, no joke, its beautiful. :cool:

anyway, i fed him the last of the raw beef roast today, then let him bask outside in the intensely hot sun. he had some warm water to lay in though, so i wasnt worried about overheating. but for the first time since i got him, he actually preformed a behavior similar to seeking affection when he was basking. my hands were cooler than the surrounding area, and i had decided to give him some rubs on his back. and instead of sliding away or merely putting up with it, he slid towards me and fell asleep with i rubbed along his back and neck. i wont count it as actually enjoying or seeking affection, but its a step in the right direction as far as im concerned. i know that when he doesnt want to be around me, hes quite capable of walking away lol.
i took some pictures afterwards with my computer, but there was a cast in my room from a different enclosure, so please excuse the purple tint! his browns show up mostly right, but his head is barely green anymore. its really more splotchy than anything.

you can kinda see his little fat chin in some
[attachment=4765]

[attachment=4764]

[attachment=4762]

[attachment=4761]

[attachment=4760]

[attachment=4763]

Attachments

• Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.20 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.20 PM #2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.20 PM.jpg
    Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.20 PM.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.21 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.21 PM #2.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.21 PM.jpg
    Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.21 PM.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.22 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.22 PM #2.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.22 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 8-8-12 at 2.22 PM #3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 10

HeatherN

update on Tarot: im afraid he has some early stages MBD signs, as in hard swelling of the gums and somewhat difficult recent sheds. other than that, hes been growing properly, but after researching, id like to nip the problem in the bud as early as possible. ive been feeding him ground turkey with beef liver and cod liver oil every day. ive been supplementing with calcium and "vitamin dust" but apparently its not enough. luckily, tomorrow im going to the reptile super show in LA, i can get a good deal on new powersun bulbs, vitamin supplements, and good whole prey items. plus i love the super shows lol. i believe i caught it early, but ill keep an eye on it very closely, thats for sure.

if anyone has questions for me about the details of his symptoms or what have you, feel free to ask me anything and i will try to answer to the best of my abilities. thanks for reading!

HeatherN

well i went to the show today (it was awesome! as usual) and got myself a power sun, which consolidates my UV and heat bulb into one bulb, which i like. got it for cheap too, gotta love shows. also brought home some 3/4" dubias, zoo-med calcium, and some frozen/thawed pinkies along with some live ones, as i wasnt sure which hed prefer.

however, my hunch was right that he wouldnt like em live. i had to dip them in codoil and vitamins to get him to try even biting them, but he just doesnt like live meat. then i had to be that person no one wants to be, had to crush their skulls and cut them in half, and then all the sudden they became super tasty to tarot, and he ate 2.5. then took a lovely after dinner poop on my carpet, gotta love my little guy. :rolleyes:

i hope he gets to feeling better soon, since hes been a bit lethargic lately for him. instead of basking and exploring, hes been spending maybe 65% of the day chilling right behind his hide in the soft sphagnum moss. but there was the reassuring crunching of bones in his meal today along with the supplements, so hopefully his swelling will go down and the last bit of shed on the underside of his tail will slough off soon.

i like the dubias so much i might start a colony soon. ive never worked with them before, i bred my own super worms so i never really need any. but with my superworms gone and me getting a nice little group of youngin's, i might see how tarot likes them and move from there.

thanks for reading! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980