• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tarot

HeatherN

[attachment=4568]
today i received my extreme giant from bobby, he came in excellent condition. let me pick him up straight out of the bag, and even let me gently peel of his loose shed.
[attachment=4569]

he surprised me with how curious he was, insisting on licking every corner of my hands, arms, shoulders, head, and even face!

i put him in his cage, and he alternated between basking and exploring. after letting him settle in a bit, a made him a little plate of ground turkey and beef liver. unfortunately, when i went to pick him up to put him in his bin, my dog snuck up behind me. as he quickly ran over to lick and climb onto my hand, the peered around my shoulder and spotted nika, my dog. :-/ it really freaked the poor little guy out, and of course i sent my dog out. i had to sit there a bit, but he came back to check me out, not half as excitedly though. eventually, i slid my hand under him and slowly lifted him, but it was clear he was still rather shaken.

i took him to his bin in my bathroom, and he immediately picked out the largest pieces of beef liver he could find and gorged himself. :rolleyes: i didn't want to force him to do anything, especially when he was shaken up, so it took a bit with my hand in the bin to scoop him out, and when i put him in his cage, he went straight for the humid hide.

he's been hiding every since, and i feel really bad because i didn't hear my dog behind me. and that liver is going to take forever to digest without basking. :s hopefully he'll come back out tomorrow for some basking, he's incredibly interesting to watch! :D

I'm going to try to update this thread with anything interesting developments, thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Photo on 7-10-12 at 11.14 AM.jpg
    Photo on 7-10-12 at 11.14 AM.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo on 7-10-12 at 11.19 AM.jpg
    Photo on 7-10-12 at 11.19 AM.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 11

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ahh he is soo tiny lol, and cute, hwrd to believe at that size justt how big they will get, if itt helps any, i requested a male snd storm is, well, a male lol

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Too cute, and don't beat yourself up over the dog incident - he'll get over it eventually. As for requesting a male, I did the same my first GU from Bobby, and got a male. My 2nd GU, Bobby showed me how he visually picked sexes and let me pick on my own - also ended up with a male by my amateur eye. The odds are in your favor that you have a male but as most things in this world nothing is 100%, of course, until you feel them buttons or he shows you his hemipenes.

HeatherN

i get the question about the name often, and honestly, i was thinking of names, then my mind wandered to gypsies for some reason (idk where i came up with that) then i thought of tarot cards, and i thought i liked the sound of that! tangents can be useful sometimes... sometimes lol.

and i hope he comes out tomorrow, i have to leave for something at college, and i want to get him fed before i go off for a couple days. it will give him some days to settle down, but i don't want to leave him to the mercy off my family, despite my explicit instructions on how to care for him while I'm away! o.o

m3s4

Awesome looking little 'gu! Love his name, too - very creative & quite original.

He'll be back to normal after he forgets the run-in with your dog...

Make sure to keep us posted with some awesome pics as he grows!

Enjoy your new companion and gratz on a great looking one at that.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
HeatherN said:
i get the question about the name often, and honestly, i was thinking of names, then my mind wandered to gypsies for some reason (idk where i came up with that) then i thought of tarot cards, and i thought i liked the sound of that! tangents can be useful sometimes... sometimes lol.

and i hope he comes out tomorrow, i have to leave for something at college, and i want to get him fed before i go off for a couple days. it will give him some days to settle down, but i don't want to leave him to the mercy off my family, despite my explicit instructions on how to care for him while I'm away! o.o

Heather, I got mine yesterday. I requested a male too. Mine would not eat the wax worms that I gave it yesterday, so today I made the food mixture that Varnyard recommends. I gave it to him along with wax worms and plain ground turkey. He ignored the wax worms and plain turkey, but ate the Varnyard mixture. I wish he ate a little more, but at least he got something into his belly. BTW, his name is Gwanji, after the Allosaurus in "Valley of the Gwanji".

ragnew

Very awesome pics of an awesome little tegu! It seems like just yesterday when Brahm was this size. It's truly amazing how fast these guys grow in just a year! Congrats on the newest addition!

HeatherN

heh it seems like the first day was an outlier for Tarot, he was out this morning like i said, but has been even more scared of me all day. i didn't want to do it at a llll, but i had to chase him down to try to put him in his bin to feed him before i leave later today. of course he got loose on my room, chased him down there, loose in my bathroom, chase him down there, loose on my back, chase him down there... and after all that he won't eat! ahh the joys of the flighty tegu! :rolleyes:

so I'm right there with ya, dubya ( love the name, so perfect ), but eventually they'll get hungry enough to eat more. until then, I'm on a trip for a little bit, and it'll give mine a couple of days to recover from that trauma! then his training is going to go reeeaaaaalll sloooowww

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
HeatherN said:
heh it seems like the first day was an outlier for Tarot, he was out this morning like i said, but has been even more scared of me all day. i didn't want to do it at a llll, but i had to chase him down to try to put him in his bin to feed him before i leave later today. of course he got loose on my room, chased him down there, loose in my bathroom, chase him down there, loose on my back, chase him down there... and after all that he won't eat! ahh the joys of the flighty tegu! :rolleyes:

so I'm right there with ya, dubya ( love the name, so perfect ), but eventually they'll get hungry enough to eat more. until then, I'm on a trip for a little bit, and it'll give mine a couple of days to recover from that trauma! then his training is going to go reeeaaaaalll sloooowww

yeah, mine was more flighty than yesterday too. I am also going to go slow and build the little guy's trust. He likes Bobby's food mixture, so I'll stay with that. Dealing with liver, though, is rough. Liver smell in the kitchen. On my hands. In the sink. YAAACK! Brings back bad childhood memories. But that is for a different forum. I guess I'll have to do it for the little guy.

bmx3000max

Dubya said:
HeatherN said:

Heather, I got mine yesterday. I requested a male too. Mine would not eat the wax worms that I gave it yesterday, so today I made the food mixture that Varnyard recommends. I gave it to him along with wax worms and plain ground turkey. He ignored the wax worms and plain turkey, but ate the Varnyard mixture. I wish he ate a little more, but at least he got something into his belly. BTW, his name is Gwanji, after the Allosaurus in "Valley of the Gwanji".

what is the varnyard mixture?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
bmx3000max said:
Dubya said:
HeatherN said:

what is the varnyard mixture?
Look on the Varnyard herps website in the care section. You just made me forget the mix. I think it was 3:1 ground turkey to beef liver with one tablespoon of cod liver oil per pound and also use Zoo Med calcium supplement without D3. When mine gets really huge, I intend to supplement his diet with the occasional hot dog end, which will be much to my dog's dismay. Good luck!

bonedoc

We are awaiting our Extreme giant, Spoke to Bobby when they first hatched. We are also getting a high contrast red so once they hatch and are ready bobby will notify us and will ship both at the same time. Can't wait....their enclosures are all ready...just need to install the bulbs, ready the bedding and we are good to go.

HeatherN

ground turkey, beef liver, and cod oil is what i believe he is referring to , a listed on Bobby's website. and Dubya, you took the words right outta my mouth. thats my plan with the trust, and i HATE the smell of liver. it reminds me of all the necropsies i've done, just in my kitchen! it's so gelatinous, you can't even pile it, it just spreads out like a smelly pancake. guess we know why i can get it so cheap lol.

i appreciate the compliments and support, everyone! all us freshies are going through interesting times for sure, it seems.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
HeatherN said:
ground turkey, beef liver, and cod oil is what i believe he is referring to , a listed on Bobby's website. and Dubya, you took the words right outta my mouth. thats my plan with the trust, and i HATE the smell of liver. it reminds me of all the necropsies i've done, just in my kitchen! it's so gelatinous, you can't even pile it, it just spreads out like a smelly pancake. guess we know why i can get it so cheap lol.

i appreciate the compliments and support, everyone! all us freshies are going through interesting times for sure, it seems.

YAAACK! HEAVE! I made it in my wife"s food processor, then cleaned it up really good. When he gets big, I'll make 10 lbs at a time so that I can do it less often. I swear I'd rather clean up cat puke than make the liver/turkey/cod oil mix. But I always put my animals before myself. (YAAACK).

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol you know after a few years, the smell wont even bother you, i been doing it since '07 so now its like "odor? What odor?" Idk if thats bad lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced