• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Solar Glo VS PowerSun

teguboy77

5 Year Member
To be honest with you i use to use powersun and i had a few blow out on me too a couple years back,but the warranty replaced two of them, but all in all they seemed to be great bulbs.But i always liked the mega ray and back in december i was going to order a mega ray and they were on back order,so then i was at petsmart and saw solar glo and picked one up and it seemed to be ok,but i'm going to stick with mega ray for now on.I just ordered a mega ray 160 watt lastnight should be here next week along with my solar meter that i will have monday.:D

Maro1

teguboy77 said:
To be honest with you i use to use powersun and i had a few blow out on me too a couple years back,but the warranty replaced two of them, but all in all they seemed to be great bulbs.But i always liked the mega ray and back in december i was going to order a mega ray and they were on back order,so then i was at petsmart and saw solar glo and picked one up and it seemed to be ok,but i'm going to stick with mega ray for now on.I just ordered a mega ray 160 watt lastnight should be here next week along with my solar meter that i will have monday.:D

Really, your mega ray will be there next week? still waiting for mine as are other people unless they corrected their problem.

http://www.reptileuv.com/uvb-meter-owners/problems-with-reptileuv.php

hanniebann

5 Year Member
i'm still waiting for my replacement for one that I bought last december... I wouldn't count on it being there for at least a month or two :/

Unfortunately I have to admit, though MegaRay has killer quality products, they need to get their act together, and unfortunately they'll never become as big as the lesser quality brands until they do so. In the meantime, PowerSun is the way to go, just bought 3 more. At least I know I'll be getting what I ordered in a reasonable amount of time.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm on an email list where Bob from MegaRay posted during this episode. I looked on his website and this pretty much sums up the situation. He is a small operation and recalled every bad bulb and is testing every bulb going out the door. That is the most impressive customer service I have ever heard of. He may not be able to answer your email, but he won't let your animal suffer. I don't know him personally, but wow. When Zilla had issues with their bulb, they said, "Oops, sorry" and didn't make a strong recall even when countless animals had eye and skin issues. Other bulbs are known to have low output, but MegaRay seems to be the only one doing anything about it. I don't know if Bob wants to be bigger, but MegaRay will always be the gold standard, in my opinion. I only wish they were cheaper. ;)

Westron makes several MVB bulbs
http://www.reptileuv.com/uvb-meter-owners/problems-with-reptileuv.php

hanniebann

5 Year Member
I have never gotten a response from their customer service number, his personal number or the customer service email. Obviously we've had polar opposite experiences :/

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My meg ray will be delivered to me on the may 24th by ups i got the email today :D.As far as the problems with mega ray i think there pretty much straightened out from what i read,also i to think there the best uvb bulb hands down in my opinion and never had any problem with mega ray bulbs before when i used them just my opinion.To i too dont thonk bob wants to be a huge company i think he more focused on the mega ray bulbs and how well they do there job,i know i heard people had problems with them and again by the emails and post on his sight hes taking care of the problem the best way he can.I'll stick with mega ray myself if i run into problems i'll go another way i guess.:)
[/quote]

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
Well i mean if thats what they state about the bulbs as far as micro watts that solar glo puts out 100 mw from the, 125w of UVB and powersun puts out 120 Micro watts, 100w of UVB,thats what they say i still would like to see a solarmeter to see if solar glo put out good UVB,powersun i think puts out the micro watts they claim,i 've used them before and they were ok,but i'm going to buy a solarmeter today and then i'll know what the solar glo uvb puts out micro watts,but i also use a 10.0 36'' reptisun linear fluorescent with my solar glo,i guess in a couple days when my solarmeter Model 6.2 UV Meter gets here i'll find out what micro watts my 160 watt solar glo is putting out.:)

No i dont buy mine online i get my solar glo 160watt UVB,5 minutes from my house at petsmart and there 39.99,but i'm going to wait and see cause i just ordered a solarmeter and i wanna see what uvb micro watts it puts out.:)

I also have a 24'' 10.0 tube next to the 100 watt powersun 12 '' above his #1 basking spot , and a ZooMed compact 10.0 next to the other exo-terra 125 watt MVB at the other basking area 14 '' above . so i have plenty of UVB going on in his cage .:) he has two options for heat under MVB , one is 105 on the edge and 115-118 in the middle and the other one at 14'' is around 95 -100 deg . he seems very happy and travels back and forth to both , BUT spend most of his time under the Powersun at 12'' and 105 -118 deg . he loves the heat .:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i still have one solar glo 160 watt left but i have a mega ray coming tuesday,this is my first solar glo to die out on me out of three i used so crap happens you know lol,the only uvb bulb i ve had really no problem with is the reptisun 10.0.Before the one solar glo just blew i had np with the other two so i still think there ok i just like mega ray just my opinion.:)

I think thats a great idea i do the same thing basking spot is 105f and my 10.0 36'' runs almost the whole cage except about a foot of it but all most all the time hes under the basking spot,so i too think mine gets enough uvb,i like the 2 bulb idea;)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
:pWell took back my 2 month old solar glo MVB 160 watt to petsmart with receipt and the had no problem giving me a brand new bulb so no i have a brand new back up bulb and a brand new mega ray 160 watt lucky me lol.

Sirhc401

Just curious. Why bother with any of those 3? Would it not just be better to buy separate bulbs? Why do you need a crazy expensive combo bulb? Im confused

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sirhc401 said:
Just curious. Why bother with any of those 3? Would it not just be better to buy separate bulbs? Why do you need a crazy expensive combo bulb? Im confused

I'm confused by this. Are you saying why use a MVB?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my opinion, it is cheaper in the long run and you only need one fixture. If you go with seperate bulbs, you would need a basking bulb and fixture, and a tube UVB and fixture.

Sirhc401

Well I guess that makes sense then. I already have so many fixtures that it does not really bother me. And you can buy a UVB light that is not a tube. So when I had one fixture I would give one day of UVB light and one day of UVA. In one fixture. And just use a heat pad. However, that only works for enclosures for glass. I am switching to all lights when I get my new enclosures

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The coil type UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye problems, I would stay away from them. Heat pads are also not good for Tegus being that they burrow to escape the heat. With UTH they are not able to do that.

numarix

This the one you bought? Cost me 59.99 @ petsmart. Plus i bought the reptil fogger.

20111111powersun.jpg

Sirhc401

I only keep the heat pad under his basking spot. And that's the one place I keep a carpet patch. I know you would probably say carpet is bad but he does not burrow at the patch. In addition the strings that come up from the carpet usually come up at the sides. Which are taped down. And I have rocks surrounding it for extra warmth and to separate the basking spot from the rest of the enclosure which he can burrow in

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sirhc401 said:
I only keep the heat pad under his basking spot. And that's the one place I keep a carpet patch. I know you would probably say carpet is bad but he does not burrow at the patch. In addition the strings that come up from the carpet usually come up at the sides. Which are taped down. And I have rocks surrounding it for extra warmth and to separate the basking spot from the rest of the enclosure which he can burrow in

Any pictures ?

RobK.

the two 10.0 reptisun tubes are lasting longer than any other bulb . so far i have not had any MVB last three months. for me tubes and halogen bulbs last longer . The mega ray is putting out less MW of uvb as the days go buy . I use one 10.0 tube next to a 5000k down the middle of his cage . its around 30 Mw of uvb below on the floor with the one 10.0 tube . when i was using two it was over 160 MW at 12' and 65 at 24'' on the floor . you should see the pile of MVB i have in my rhinos room . :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744