• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Solar glo 160 watt Mercury vapor bulb uvb test.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Alright so got my new solar meter 6.2 ,new solar glo 160 watt.So i started to test the 160 watt solar glo uvb bulb and it was warmed up,but i started my first measurement below at 12'' threw 24''.
12''-118mw
16''-65mw
18''47mw
20''37mw
24''26mw
So from what i'm guessing you have to the bulb anywere from 12'' to 16'' to really get a good amount of uvb,they say 50-250 uW/cm2 mimics the natural environment enough to keep your UV-dependent BASKING reptiles healthy.

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
Alright so got my new solar meter 6.2 ,new solar glo 160 watt.So i started to test the 160 watt solar glo uvb bulb and it was warmed up,but i started my first measurement below at 12'' threw 24''.
12''-118mw
16''-65mw
18''47mwt
20''37mw
24''26mw
So from what i'm guessing you have to the bulb anywere from 12'' to 16'' to really get a good amount of uvb,they say 50-250 uW/cm2 mimics the natural environment enough to keep your UV-dependent BASKING reptiles healthy.

Now put a screen between the light and meter and you get even less , as much as 50% with tight mesh screens . also check you temps with a 160 watt at 12 '' it could be too hot . i sure would not put one within 12'' with out a screen . I put two lights over my rhino basking areas , one MVB and a 10.0 to get as close to 150 mw as posible . i wish i had a solor meter to double check my set up as they help get everything just right .:) Thanks for the info .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i did do the screen test to and at 18'' without screen it was 53mw,with screen at 18'' it was 38mw so yes the screen does filter some uvb.And at 12'' your right i think the temps would be too high,but at 18'' it would be ok.I too do the 10.0 and mercury vapor bulb over my basking spot and its funny how we both do that lol.Tomorrow i will do a test with the new mega ray 160 watt at the same distance so i'll post my reading.This solar meter is my new favorite toy glad i bought one.Also i'm going to measure my 10.0 repti sun 36'' uvb mw to and post them and thats three weeks old.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yes i've tried other brands almost all of them lol,i mean i had one blow on me that was 2 months old they exchanged it and gave me a bram=nd new one.But i had two before that that lasted 6 months but are pretty good.

Honestly the only brand that i never had any problems with it reptisun 10.0 but they dont put out heat,but i'm going to stick with mega ray and reptisun 10.0,and solar glo as a back up lol.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well alittle update on a 6 month old solar glow i tested this mourning at 12'' it read 17mw of uvb,at 18'' it read 9mw of uvb so i guess when they say you should replace them every six months you should REPLACE them.And the solar glo just turned six months old this month,all uvb bulbs decay but as low as the readings were i wonder if it was producing the low uvb mw before the six months,50-250 uW/cm2 mimics the natural environment enough to keep your UV-dependent BASKING reptiles healthy, depending on the species.:-/

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well that bulb it 6 months old and i didn't have the solar meter to test it when i first got it.But i did test a brand new one and the reading were alot better.I'm just wondering how fast these bulbs decay and lose there uvb there not cheap at $40 bulb,i think more people should buy a solar meter cause they might not be giving the reptile the uvb they thought it was getting and its really not the owners fault.:shy:
laurarfl said:
The information I read before had Solar Glo off the shelf with readings that low.

You did say before you read that solar glo put out low uvb readings you could of been rite.:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
That wasn't me saying i didn't think you were rite,i was agreeing with you cause in all the solar glo didn't put out much uvb after 18'' 47 mw and that was with no screen,with screen i think it was 22mw so it wouldn't do much for your reptile at all,without screen at 12'' solar glo put out 118 mw thats without decay so no more solar glo for me either mega ray or powersun just my opinion and testing i did with my solar meter hope the information helps.:)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I understand what you were saying. I was just wondering if you wanted to see the article to compare their readings with what you are getting.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah if it isn't to much trouble thank you.Im just not buying a solar glo because of what i tested myself,i mean the solar glo is 160watt the mega ray is 100 watt and again mega ray blew it out of the water lol.But now people know and i tried to help everybody buying the rite uvb bulb for there reptile and so they dont waste there money.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you guys mind if I post results on other fourms? I'll give you credit, of course, etc. It's just nice to share helpful info.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i thougt the same way rob for sure but i will keep checking my mega ray to see,i can say this the mega ray puts out so good uvb.Hope you get a solar meter it helps are reptiles and doesn't lie about uvb readings so again people aren't spending there hard earned money,plus the people who buy the uvb bulbs think there bulbs are doing there job aren't and it isn't the owners fault and the reptiles suffer too.Another thing i with say 10.0 reptisun put out 57mw at 18 which i still use so the darn sloar glo wasn't helping my lizards it was the reptisun,now mega ray and the reptisun i'm good to go and i dont need the reptisun cause of the mega ray.
laurarfl said:
Do you guys mind if I post results on other fourms? I'll give you credit, of course, etc. It's just nice to share helpful info.

The results i posted sure np at all its helping people out.:)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am using a 160W Solar Glo at about 14" away from the basking spot and get good basking temps. I don't have a solar meter to read UVB though.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well good temps great, but is your uvb out good for the 40 bucks you spent,and in a month or two is it still going to put at least 50 mw of uvb for your rhino/reptile to maintain good health?Listen for a extra 10 to 20 bucks buy a mega ray or powersun just my opinion and what my solar meter reads it dont lie.:-/

And im not trying to challenge anybody but since i have the solar meter and the solar glo bulb i'm just trying to help people and the most important your reptile thats it .:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980