• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Smaug

Diablo

5 Year Member
So putting all the Varnyard drama aside, I am making this thread dedicated to my SOON to be Tegu. Tomorrow I will be receiving my new tegu from Johnny at teguterra! I must say that he gave me great service and I am 110% satisfied with everything. I order a B&W tegu from him last week and I am already receiving it. I'm really excited, I almost forgot what the feeling was like. I went over my cage today to make sure everything was perfect, I think I need to add more substrate and maybe adjust the basking spot a little, but other than that it is ready! I will be taking pictures of Lil' Smaug tomorrow when I receive him. Also I'm not sure if anyone else named their little guy Smaug or not but I thought it was a fitting name for a lizard.

Steven.

Sane here. You guys that ordered your b&w and reds from varnyard really deserve better. I hope everything works out for you and your new little one.

sent from my phone to your eyes

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I'm really glad you are getting a baby soon...that's what I did.kind of cut my losses and moved on.I think the anxiety from waiting and not knowing was worse than the money ...and I love my baby niles :) ( oh and smaug was one of my first thoughts for a name too...nice :) )

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Diablo

5 Year Member
He arrived earlier this morning, I took him out of the box and put him in his cage and he was very calm but probably just tired from the long journey! I let him be for a while and came back to see him sitting on his log and got one picture before he ran to his hide. Johnny also sent me a birth certificate for him, he was born on August 12th so he's just over a month old now.

Attachments

• 2012-09-19_14-58-30_295.jpg
    2012-09-19_14-58-30_295.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great looking tegu, I've dealt with Johnny a couple times in the past. He truly is a great guy.

Logie_Bear

I'm so happy that you FINALLY got your baby tegu, Diablo! Maybe not where you thought you would, but I bet its nice to see that cage no longer empty, ya? :)

Diablo

5 Year Member
Logie_Bear said:
I'm so happy that you FINALLY got your baby tegu, Diablo! Maybe not where you thought you would, but I bet its nice to see that cage no longer empty, ya? :)

Thanks! and it really is nice seeing a living thing in there running around. Now I have to remember everything I read and give my little guy a great place to live. Trying to remember all the taming techniques and such haha

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Smaug

Diablo said:
He arrived earlier this morning, I took him out of the box and put him in his cage and he was very calm but probably just tired from the long journey! I let him be for a while and came back to see him sitting on his log and got one picture before he ran to his hide. Johnny also sent me a birth certificate for him, he was born on August 12th so he's just over a month old now.

Yaaaaay! :D

Diablo

5 Year Member
I'm hoping he is just hiding because of the stress of the shipping, he hasn't come out since. Either that or he is hibernating which will be disappointing but who knows. I'm trying to take everything nice and slow for the little guy

Diablo

5 Year Member
Just fed smaug for the first time:) and actually thinking of renaming him if I can come up with a better name to fit his personality. I was worried that it might take a while to start bonding with him because at the very site of me he would run into his hides and get away from me as fast as possible. I made some turkey covered with raw egg yolk and brought it down to find him basking the very first time and I knew it was my chance. He tried to run from me and hid in a corner but I took some food with tongs and put it in his face and he started eating asap. I tried giving him some crickets but he wasn't interested at all with them. After he had had enough he laid under his basking bulb and I sat and watched him and tried to just be around and get him used to me being there. When I put my hand near him he just started walking away and went in his hide, so I think that may take some time to actually pick him up without freaking out. I wanna try and give him a bath tomorrow before work if I can.

Here he is after eating

Attachments

• 2012-09-20_18-50-16_301.jpg
    2012-09-20_18-50-16_301.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Odonata

Congratulations on your new addition!

I am curious on your picture, it could be the lighting that is making it look weird, but what sort of substrate is that?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Very cute guy...:shy: one question about diet though...I was under the impression raw egg was a definite no for them because of bacteria etc.? Is that true or have others heard differently?

Diablo

5 Year Member
Its top soil and play sand a mixture ive seen many people use on here. There were no safe alternatives i could find and he seems to love digging in it. And I searched it on the forums and many people said they fed raw eggs all the time. It is the egg white that is bad if given to much because of the avidin in it. However feeding raw egg yolk is fine from what ive read. Youre just not supposed to feed eggs all the time

Sent from my DROID RAZR

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Smaug

Diablo said:
Its top soil and play sand a mixture ive seen many people use on here. There were no safe alternatives i could find and he seems to love digging in it. And I searched it on the forums and many people said they fed raw eggs all the time. It is the egg white that is bad if given to much because of the avidin in it. However feeding raw egg yolk is fine from what ive read. Youre just not supposed to feed eggs all the time

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Oh ok cool.and thanks for the raw egg info.so the yolk is better than the whole egg if you're going to do raw then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan