• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sex of my B&W

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
The Roy x Magnolia's are normals, I think I might have a few open on them as well.

yeah i know, but they are still gonna be awesome! i just hope you have more openings when im ready!

Chance

I try to have a variety of reptiles and other critters in my classroom for educational purposes. The tegu is, for the time being, certainly the most impressive. My other gem is a young male eastern indigo snake that was donated to me by Matthew Rand. I don't know if I have any students who really appreciate what they have access to in that snake but I know I would've died if I had walked into my high school biology teacher's classroom and saw an indigo.

In addition to those two spectacular animals, I also have a pair of western hognose snakes, an albino hybrid mutant kingsnake/milksnake thing (not really sure what all is in her but she's pretty), a baby male dwarf reticulated python, a couple female Schneider's skinks, and a young sulcata tort.

As for nonherps I also have a couple of young pacu fish, a couple of chinchillas, and a couple of tubs of rats. The kids get to see the entire cycle of life with the rats as well as study genetics. My two founding rats I bought last November are hairless and T+ albino. As expected, all of their offspring look completely normal but carry both recessive genes. When they breed you get a myriad of babies including a few unexpected hoodeds and some other oddities. Most go to the snakes and now the tegu before they get very old though 8)

What I really love about being able to keep these animals in my room is that I can literally sit there and watch students and even other teachers get over their fears. Interestingly, the students seem far more open-minded about it than my teacher colleagues. Though I'll give my math teacher neighbor a lot of credit. She won't get near a snake and she was initially terrified of the terrible tegu (alliteration ftw!), but I had her out walking around my classroom yesterday afternoon and the teacher came in because she wanted to see it. She gradually worked her way up to touching it, and within 15 minutes she was holding her and even put her back in her cage before she left. How's that for being a perfect ambassador?

The tegu has certainly became the sweetheart of the classroom, even despite the super cute black chinchillas on the other side of the room. I guess there's just something about a lizard that size that seems so docile. She's not quite to the point where she'll follow someone like that big male in the video Bobby posted on his site, but doesn't shy away either. She's very easy about her eating habits as well and will calmly take a young rat or some turkey when given it rather than showing some kind of scary feeding response like some monitors I've had.

I really love teaching kids about why biology is important and the animals give me not only living examples of biology in action, but also reasons to be concerned with their conservation. And I can guarantee you that I've sparked at least a few up and coming herpetoculturalists (I'm sure they're parents just love me).

Chance

By the way, though my big girl needs one more season before she's ready, I'll be on the lookout for someone with a lonely adult male who may want to try for a breeding loan situation. I would love to just buy a male for her but with their price and my teacher salary I'm not sure how well I could swing that. So if you have a male Extreme Giant that will be ready next season and you want to pair him to an obviously beautiful example of this line, then shoot me an e-mail at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->, or call or text 479-477-0434. I have plenty of references in the herp world and I am a public school teacher so obviously I've had my background checked! (And my patience tested) :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu