• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sex of my B&W

Chance

Howdy folks. I'm very glad to have found this forum. I came into possession of a young adult male Argentine B&W tegu a few days ago to use as an educational animal. I teach biology and anatomy and keep a wide array of critters in the classroom. Even though it's the end of the school year, the tegu has quickly became the biggest hit. He's incredibly docile and the students love interacting with him.

I have a rather large classroom and intend to get a large water trough to keep him in next school year. I am interested though in acquiring a mate for him since I really enjoy working with him.

So of course before I even consider the girlfriend possibility I need to make sure he's a he. He was bought directly from Bobby Hill and I believe he's from his giant line. He was sold to the lady I got him from as a male.

Here's what he looks like now:

41019DSC_1152_Medium.JPG

41019DSC_1155_Medium.JPG

41019DSC_1157_Medium.JPG

41019DSC_1159_Medium.JPG

41019DSC_1170_Medium.JPG

So what do you think? Is the consensus that he's a he?

By the way this is the first tegu I've ever kept and at this point I just have to ask myself, what took me so long?!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You are now the proud owner of an Extreme giant tegu, that is 110% pure Extreme giant from my stock. And it looks to be a real nice female. :)

Chance

Amazing. The lady who gave her to me said you told her it was probably a male but I've heard it's tough to sex young ones. I had my suspicions that it was a female based on seeing some videos of males that were big and jowly. That's a good thing though! The only thing that sucks is that I'm going to have to totally change my mindset and stop calling it a he...haha.

So, being a female from the extreme giant line, how big can I expect her to be? And how likely am I to procure a male from this same line?

Chance

Now let me take a moment to take my foot out of my mouth and say that I'm not totally helpless and just read some things Bobby posted on how to tell Extremes apart from normals.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At the bottom of the base of the tail, where you would expect it's "private parts" to be, on males you will feel two small, hard balls. On my 3.5' male they feel like and are about the size of bb's.

I was convinced mine was a female for the first 1.5 years of it's life. Then I felt for the bb's and they were quite noticable. In the last 6 months his jowles have become quite noticable.

I'm by no means challenging the suggestions that it is a female, I'm only trying to give you a way to confirm their suggestions.

Based on my assumption that mine was a female, my girlfriend named "her" Delilah. Depsite our confirmation that he is indeep a he, his name is still Delilah though the nic name "Big D" has stuck. Thus far I have noticed no psychological impact of the misleading gender specific name. ;)

herper9

5 Year Member
Make sure you read the housing portions of the forum as well. Tons of good information that will help your gu(s) have a happy and long life.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
WOW she is so perfect. Congrats on your new Tegu. Who ever had her before took very good care of her. Hope you will keep us updated on her and post some more pictures :) . Thank you. Good luck with everything.

Chance

Thank you for the compliments. All of them should be directed at the people who raised her: Jamie and Jeff Hough of Valley Dragons. They bought her from Bobby Hill a couple of years ago and have obviously devoted a lot of time and effort into raising a beautiful, well adjusted tegu, even if there was some confusion on the gender! :-D I only hope to be able to keep up the quality of care and to make her an educational ambassador for her species.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
She's quite beautiful and reminds me of my boy Beauregard, but she seems even lighter. You have a real gem there!

...Jefroka

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jamie did get her from me, and it is a Extreme. I have eggs in the incubator now if you want to reserve a mate. I would look for her to reach around 4ft long, as females tend to run smaller in all the species.

preston897

thats really awsome that you are using her for educational purposes. she is a beautiful tegu. and we need more herps to be educational ambassadors in this rough time in our hobby. congrats on a great gu.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Jamie did get her from me, and it is a Extreme. I have eggs in the incubator now if you want to reserve a mate. I would look for her to reach around 4ft long, as females tend to run smaller in all the species.

a bit off topic but bobby i had no idea you had some extremes for reserve still, i need to resereve one of those asap! i thought for sure they ere all reserved by now!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
VARNYARD said:

a bit off topic but bobby i had no idea you had some extremes for reserve still, i need to resereve one of those asap! i thought for sure they ere all reserved by now!

I have some spots still open, the eggs are incubating now. :drool :-D

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Chance said:
Also, is there a simple way to tell the Extreme Giants apart from the regular B&Ws?

Chance, here is the info to show the differences:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1978</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=13&t=199</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1275</a><!-- l -->

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
reptastic said:
VARNYARD said:

I have some spots still open, the eggs are incubating now. :drool :-D

awesome you can expect a call from me soon i also just have to get one of those roy x magnolia babies they are gonna be awesome!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The Roy x Magnolia's are normals, I think I might have a few open on them as well.

preston897

i surly cant wait to get my varyard baby. hopefully this summer i will be able to get one. i guess we will see. it may be next year before i am able to though

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu