• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

savannah monitor

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Water.jpg

Is this the picture?? If so he is on a retes stack with a ceramic tile on top for a basking spot. There is substrate all around and under that spot.
rhetoricx said:
It is your savy, you can care for it however you want. I don't think anyone meant to be rude when giving advice, they just wanted to try and help another keeper out. Its a forum, there are always going to be people you agree with and disagree with.

Well said, I apologize if I came across in an inappropriate manner.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
xocrieox said:
So your telling me not to beleave what is on the net but you give me a website link that has a care sheet on it isnt that kinda contradicting on what you just told me and i never asked anyone on here for care advice i just said i was getting a monitor and want peoples opion not how to care for them

James you said you havent been keeing them long but now its 3 years past experiance

beleave? That site is not a care sheet, and it's way different from care sheets, care sheets tell you exactly what to do, the site gives you choices and proper ways to do things and shows you the improper way to do things.

And the general rule with monitors is, "if you have to ask then your not ready". When a dedicated owner is ready, they know exactly what they want and how they are going to go about things. Including diets which is the most important thing with savs.

I just wanted to see some pics of your sav and set up that's all. But seems that's too much to ask for, oh we'll.

xocrieox

Thanks and i am gonna do what works for me and my savy and i was nice to the people that werent rude to me i have my opinion and they have theres

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
xocrieox said:
Doesnt matter im done messing with you dude get the point go dind another post to comment on

WOW... a 35 year old that acts like a 13 year old. Everything I have said has been correct and now you don't know how to react.

xocrieox

Go find a new post cause you dont know anything i have seen your posts about the good care you take of your animals a tegu that lost toes and mites on your snakes and gnates in your cages yeah man you are a good herper lmao see i can fight back not like the little kids on here so if you wanna go round again ill be here so you keep the good care up of those animals of yours look at your last post your the kid here a--hole

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Seriously,.. this thread has gone so far left,.. advice and opinions have been given whether the OP decides to take them or not. Agree to disagree and walk away or this thread should be shut down,.. I don't have a problem reporting it for that to happen.

CrankbaitJedi

I have kept several Savs. My early experience went something like this... kept my first sav (11 years ago) in a very large yet shallow custom enclosure... fed him right but with lower temps (100-115) including hot rocks and all that junk and in 2-4 inches of substrate. He got huge and everything seemed fine... til he died. No real indicators visible to me... he was eating... he was basking... he was dead. No more than 2 years old. I had not really done much research as everything I had set up looked AWESOME and he was growing! Everyone was so impressed, til it was dead. Anyway, I got ticked that I lossed my Bossk (yes, after the Bounty Hunter and Bosc monitor) so I read up. I now keep savs in large enclosures with super deep substrate (12-24 inches or more) and they have temp 'choices' all the way into the low 150s. You would be amazed at how often they use the higher temps. I have other spots where they could go for 100s, or 120s... but they often choose the super high temps... wonder why that is? Anyway, lots of growth... lot of fun and no more death. I am still learning but what I have come to apply in my husbandry is choices. I believe that as soon as I lock down my mind and tell the lizard what he should have... well, they prove me wrong by dying.

jdpFL

Well said crank. Horribly sad but true, the way you find out if your husbandry choices were wrong is often with a dead reptile.
Obviously I had my feathers ruffled on this forum too, but these guys do know their stuff and have researched plus experience. I'm still however going to give it my best to raise a super healthy AND TAME savy. Lol. We shall see. So far so good! Mine will now eat while sitting on my palm!
Don't let it get to you when folks offer constructive criticism. It's the love of the hobby and the animals shining through. :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well I sent the OP a pm to try and keep this civil but he called me out and said I was a joke and that's why I didn't post in thread.

My PM said that even the most experienced keepers have battles with mites/gnats. And the fact that my tegu lost two toes was a mistake in husbandry on my part that I can admit to.

hoosier

5 Year Member
wow see what i miss from not checking in! lol

I can say james is a great keeper and very helpful with advise and VERY KNOWLEDGABLE about varanids. The OP went in a very dark direction and wouldnt head any advise to help and even called out a few people. this shocks me. the OP could really learn from the people here. they said a dedicated keeper will not have to ask questions or something along those line but IMO a dedicated keeper will ask thousands of questions so they can better keep their animals. this thread was rediculious. some people just wont listen or be greatful for advise... its a shame. not for the person but for the lizard
xocrieox said:
Go find a new post cause you dont know anything i have seen your posts about the good care you take of your animals a tegu that lost toes and mites on your snakes and gnates in your cages yeah man you are a good herper lmao see i can fight back not like the little kids on here so if you wanna go round again ill be here so you keep the good care up of those animals of yours look at your last post your the kid here a--hole

wow buddy you are a grown up. super tough. i wouldnt want to go a round with you. how about next time you call him a stinky poo face or tell a your momma joke.

(im sorry i couldnt help myslef.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced