• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

savannah monitor

xocrieox

Im going to get this monitor i saw on craigslist for 20 dollars and he comes with a 55 gallon tank and i was wo?ndering what you guys thought? Can you add pics on here using a phone?

kellen.watkins

Yeah I do everything from my sidekick 4G, any smartphone should be able to, just click new reply and go down to add attachment, your phone should take you to your photo gallery

Big Dave

Make sure he is healthy first. Don't take on someone's problems. A 55 gallon will just cook and kill the little guy fast. A full grown Sav needs a 8'x4' enclosure. High humidity,140 degree basking spot, lots of insects and mollusks, a hide on the hot side as well as the cool side. It is also reccomended to have 1' of black dirt as a substrate. Check out this site http://savannahmonitor.org/ . Don't get me wrong, I love Savs but you have to know what they need. Very few people get them to live past the 1 year mark

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I second Dave. If it is healthy go for it, otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail or spend a ton of money trying to save a sick animal. Aquariums generally don't work for Savs since they need deep burrowable substrate and fairly high humidity. Post some pics of him and we can help you a little better.

xocrieox

xocrieox said:
Im going to get this monitor i saw on craigslist for 20 dollars and he comes with a 55 gallon tank and i was wo?ndering what you guys thought? Can you add pics on here using a phone?

I tried choose fille and add attactment and neither takes me to my camera roll

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Ask why he's selling him first, a lot of people (kids and adults) go on CL and try to sell sick animals to make a quick buck before the poor thing dies. Ask so ask questions and lots of them, go check him out and even ask to watch him eat and see some poop, ask if he ever took him to the vet for a check up or tested him for parasites. CL is very risky imo.

If all goes we'll take the tank and lizard, build yourself a 4x2 for now or jump straight to the adult size cage depending on the size of the lizard. The use the 55g for something nice looking like fish or a leopard gecko morph of some sort, a trio would be cool.

herpgirl2510

How old is the savannah if it is large and in that small of an area odds are down the line it could have problems if it is younger many of the mistakes in husbandry can be corrected.. They can live quite awhile in less than ideal conditions and then all of a sudden they are very sick.

xocrieox

Im picking him up in the morning im told he is about 2ft long well i plan on bringing it to the vet after it settles in

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If its 2ft I would strongly recommend getting it into a larger enclosure asap. I had a 16-18in in a 75 gallon and it was still too small IMO. There wasn't enough height to give the savy the right amount of substrate and it was hard to get the basking temp up that high and maintain a cooler end. Congrats on the savy though!

xocrieox

Well got him home and settled in he wasnt taken very good care of he was in a 55g tank with just cage carpet and and a heat rock in it but he has settled in really good he got a bath and a new cage and is looking alot better now hopfully his sheds will get better now that his temps are better and he has alot more room he loves it under the mvb bulb :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What size enclosure is he in? What substrate and how deep? What are your temps, ambient and basking? What is your humidity? What are you using to measure temps and humidity? What are you diet plans?

xocrieox

His enclousure is a 6 foot boamaster cage and the temps are about 115 in his basking area and about 75 on tthe cool side and im using a half mulch half soil mix the humidity is staying about 60 and im not to sure about his diet yet any sugestions would be great

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How deep is the substrate and the basking temp should about 140 degrees.

Get a dubia colony going yesterday. You are going to need alot of them.

xocrieox

Its about 11/2 feet deep and the basking temps can be that low i have looked on many sites and everyone has a different opinion

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes they can be but they won't thrive at low temps. So why did you say he wasn't cared for properly, maybe it was his opinion that he was doing things correct. Just because everyone has a different opinion, it doesn't make it ok or correct, but good luck with your sav.

Would you mind posting some links of where it says it is ok to have a basking temp of 115?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
115f seems a little cold, the lowest temps i have seen recommended was about 125f. I try not to be the judge of what temps my reptiles can bask at, so i offer elevated basking plat forms with levels, so at one point it can be as hot as 140 and the lower it gets the cooler, surprisingly enough i always find mines at the warmest spot.

Sav diet is serious! If you ask me i think sav diets are way more complicated than tegu diets, you cannot just toss them a mouse and some turkey and expect the best. Check this site out,http://savannahmonitor.org/ and good luck with your sav

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced