• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptiles you plan on getting

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You might be able to get away with a 40 gallon for one, but getting a proper temp gradient might be tough. A 20L would definitely be too small.

roastedspleen

Oh. Im kind of in a pickle right now as my mom expects me to use it for my baby ball python. It has a screen top which ill probably cover with either plastic or aluminum foil and cut out part of it for the CHE. Will it work?

j.sawyer48

james.w said:
roastedspleen said:
Try housing a pair of beardies

A 40 gallon is too small for one beardie, let alone a pair.
j.sawyer48 said:
im thinking on getting another reptile i got an extra 40 gallon tank i dont want anything that will grow as bigg as my tegu and i dont trust snakes lol. wat would anyone suggest thats cool and alil more easier to take care of than the my kamanchii
why are tanks not good for humidity?

Tanks aren't really good for anything other than fish or low humidity requiring reptiles.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glass tanks take too much modification to hold humidity. It is easier to just use the proper enclosures to start with.

kellen.watkins

Well if its a gu a 8'x4'x2' (minimum) if you really wanna get technical the tank should be as wide as the lizard is long and the lenngth should be twice that of the lizard STL

Oh lol and I really want a blue tegu (not hybrid) :)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think the height should be more like 4ft if you have light fixtures inside the enclosure. I use big flat rocks on cinder blocks to double for basking areas and hides, then the tegus are on top of that, then I have the light fixtures above those. You can probably get away with 3ft if you have the heat lights on the outside of the enclosure.
Mid-spring guru found out that if he stood on his hind legs he was tall enough to knock the uvb tube fixtures around, I had to take those out and hes just got his MVB bulb now.

babyyitslove

rhetoricx said:
I think the height should be more like 4ft if you have light fixtures inside the enclosure. I use big flat rocks on cinder blocks to double for basking areas and hides, then the tegus are on top of that, then I have the light fixtures above those. You can probably get away with 3ft if you have the heat lights on the outside of the enclosure.
Mid-spring guru found out that if he stood on his hind legs he was tall enough to knock the uvb tube fixtures around, I had to take those out and hes just got his MVB bulb now.

Smart little...err....big Gu. Lol
j.sawyer48 said:
i was thinkin leopard geckos

I LOVE my Leos. They're such enthusiastic eaters that I could watch them hunt for hours! Not to mention they're sweet.

new2tegus

Surprisingly I'm thinking of an argus ( I know I will catch hell for that ) or another tegu. I'd like a female if I get another gu, banking Jekyll is a he

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
j.sawyer48 said:
and wat would u say the proper enclosure is?

For what animal?
rhetoricx said:

My tegus cage is 3' tall and works well, I could go a little shorter, but it would be a pain to get to the back of the enclosure for cleaning or any other maintenance.
new2tegus said:
Surprisingly I'm thinking of an argus ( I know I will catch hell for that ) or another tegu. I'd like a female if I get another gu, banking Jekyll is a he

As long as you do your research and are prepared for a large, active lizard I say go for it. Just know what you are getting yourself into before you do it.

kellen.watkins

My first tegu (who I owned for 9 years) lived with 2' of height and it worked out fine except cleaning was kinda of a hassle gotta admit

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
kellen.watkins said:
My first tegu (who I owned for 9 years) lived with 2' of height and it worked out fine except cleaning was kinda of a hassle gotta admit

Did you have your lights inside or out?

kellen.watkins

inside, there was a basking bulb attached to modified ceiling fixture and the uvb tubes were attached to a fixture on top, her basking spot had less substrate otherwise she would be too close to the light

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602