• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Re: Breaking News!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Years ago that would work, however now, there would be problems getting them through customs. I would be in jail, can't go that way. :roll: :)

hoosier

5 Year Member
haha sure you can. just leave me your chacoans if you do happen to somehow maybe, possibly go to jail lol :lol: ;)

Neil_E_C_P

5 Year Member
Don't you think?

Don't you think going to jail for Tegus; Is a little bit extreme?
:doh

Anyhow, Bobby:
* How did you get your Tegus?
* Why don't take some vacations and travel in search for new ones?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What's stopping importing these along with all the other B&W's? Where do the normals get exported from?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Neil,
Can you describe the ecosystem/habitat where you have been finding them? Or maybe get a pic or two of the land?
Thanks!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
What's stopping importing these along with all the other B&W's? Where do the normals get exported from?

Well the problems are a few, one is that the borders are closed to transport of tegus in most countrys down there. They do not allow harvest like they do in Argentina. Tegus are on the Cites list, and are listed as Cites II, this means they cannot be caught and shipped here or anywhere else. They do allow harvest in Argentina, but they can only export hides and not live wild animals under the Cites II act.

The tegus we have been getting from Argentina are farm raised, this means they are out of captive raised animals. As long as they are not wild caught, they can be exported from Argentina. The animals are protected in Bolivia and everywhere else in South America, this is what keeps us from being able to export from there and import them to here. I have no doubt it would be easy to get them out of Bolivia, but getting them into the US would be very hard to do, the animals would be taken, and the smuggler would be in jail.

hoosier

5 Year Member
the only way i could think of to get them to the US(legaly) is to go down there and do a captive breeding project with wild caught parents and then export them to the US. but that would take quite some time and money that alot of us just dont have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980