• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Preparation for a new Rhino Iguana

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So i have been thinking long and hard about this, i really want to get another Rhino Iguana but at the moment i just Cant, so i have devised a plan, i am going to get everything i need for one and keep everything in a storage facility(mainly the enclosure) in hopes of oneday owning one, heres a list of all the supplies im getting(if i left anything out let me know):

300 gal stock tank
1 160 watt repti glo mvb
1 100 watt repti glo mvb
few slate tiles
1 large filestone
a few large brick(im building a second basking spot higher up)
a few large drift wood pieces
subtrate will be dirt/sand mix(about 3-4" high)
and 2 large hides
i will construct a top that will be 2/3 plexi glass(to hold some humidity) and the rest chicken wire screen
what do you think

This is the stock tank im ordering:
300 gal stock tank

Maro1

I have seen these tanks many times. They seem pretty small for a Rhino unless you are planning on upgrading. They seem bigger then they really are as they slope inward some.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Im debating on a custom enclosure, if i did go custom i have to find a new carpenter to build one and i want to go 6X3X3( i would prefer a lil hight) i havent seen the stock tanks in person, it does seem pretty huge(i also noticed the slope now that you mentioned it) the enclosure is my first and most important priority, then all the rest will follow

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Look into the metal horse troughs if you don't want to have to have a cage built.

Maro1

reptastic said:
Im debating on a custom enclosure, if i did go custom i have to find a new carpenter to build one and i want to go 6X3X3( i would prefer a lil hight) i havent seen the stock tanks in person, it does seem pretty huge(i also noticed the slope now that you mentioned it) the enclosure is my first and most important priority, then all the rest will follow

I can build you one. Just finished mine :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maro1 said:
reptastic said:

Wheres the pics??

Maro1

[/quote]

Wheres the pics??

[/quote]

I'll take some pics tomorrow in the light. 6 x 3 x 3 Sliding glass doors on 3 sides

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks, Ill check those out, james do you use dirt/sand with your rhino? I have heard its a great substrate for them,i dont want to use newspaper this time around way to much trouble changing it everyday

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I do use sand/soil, just recently switched to it. Many people recommend using tile, and I have thought about taking the dirt out. My rhino seems to not like it very much, I'm not sure what to do at this point.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maro1 i would love to see those pics
james.w said:
I do use sand/soil, just recently switched to it. Many people recommend using tile, and I have thought about taking the dirt out. My rhino seems to not like it very much, I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Aahh i see, i just want something easy to clean, it was a pain cleaning the newspaper daily with my rhino they way they poop, im not going that route again for certain

Maro1

I use tiles. It easy to just wipe clean in a couple of swipes with a good disinfectant. Rhino poop like Pugs!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I didnt even think about slate tile as a sustrate, it would definately be more cost effective and easiest to clean

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For those that use slate tile, do you use grout or are the tiles just placed in the cage??

herpgirl2510

I don not use grout in my beardie cage makes it easier to remove. I had them cut to the exact measurements of the floor they fit together nice and tight. Interesting about the substrate for the rhino I use dirt/soil to add some humidity. My guy does not care for it either he never sits in it he loves being up very high like 6 feet. I love using th slate at lowe'sor home depot it is very inexpensive and looks natural. It is the kitchen floor I have always wanted.

Maro1

Adhesive Vinyl tiles are very good also. They fit tight together. Wipe clean easy and are VERY MUCH lighter than stone. Very durable as well

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Herpgirl, do you know what the guy you got yours from used for substrate? My rhino sits up high as well ever since I switched to dirt, he jumps up on top of his flourescent light fixture.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Im thinkin slate tiles are better, wouldnt vinyl be more slippery, i prefer something with a bit more traction to it, also i also thought about the enclosure and Im thinking 2' probably wouldnt work for me, i want a basking spot off the ground level and Im thinking, if i went 3' i could have a basking spot at least 18"-24" off the ground, that way he could climb and still be at a safe distance from the mvb bulb

Maro1

reptastic said:
Im thinkin slate tiles are better, wouldnt vinyl be more slippery, i prefer something with a bit more traction to it, also i also thought about the enclosure and Im thinking 2' probably wouldnt work for me, i want a basking spot off the ground level and Im thinking, if i went 3' i could have a basking spot at least 18"-24" off the ground, that way he could climb and still be at a safe distance from the mvb bulb

3' is a good height. It would allow some vertical movement. Either type of tile is slippery. Stone or vinyl. I have used both. Neither surface is natural in that it does not provide much traction. But then they are not running or escaping from anything. The biggest value is ease of cleaning. Big Rhinos poop like a dog! Messy. With tiles either type just spray and wipe!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol my rhino was only like 20-22" and pooped like a grown green iguana lol, i use these slate tiles in my tegus enclosures and they give great traction and help file down their nails too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980