• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Platnum het for albino blues

Logie_Bear

Did you get to see the parents? If they are high white blues and thats what you were looking for then you got two beautiful babies and i wouldnt fret too much about over paying. so few people are breeding blues and the demand is so high the price for babies will be up there whether they are het or not. I know i cant wait to see lots of update pics for these beautiful gus!

Penny&Dollar

well so far they dont do nothing but sleep i checked on them this morning took them out try to feed them but nothing,so i put them back in their enclosure and i'll check on them tomorrow. they dont like to come out all they do is hide and sleep i will post up picture every month promise.

@jtrux did you see the pictures of my male is it a blue or one beautiful blk/wht
oh this is my 6 going on seven year old female.

Penny&Dollar

We went out for a walk today

Attachments

• 20130726_145410.jpg
    20130726_145410.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So the way the Het works is you are always buying on a chance. Bosco himself is a 66% Het and I have never bothered to try and prove him out. Underground has a proven 100% Het albino blue tegu (believe it is female) as can be seen from there "purple tiger" tegus from last year. This is not a morph just a nice looking cross. They most likely crossed this female with there male breeder blue tegu, so there is a chance that the offspring could carry the gene for albino. Only way to prove it would to breed to an albino or 100% het albino. Breeding back to an albino if it is a het would give you 50% albino and 50% hets while breeding a het to a het would give you 25% regular, 50% hets and 25% albinos and that's if nature plays to the stats.

Honestly blues will fluctuate in price and quality and looks, $500 is high but not a rip off. When buying hets its always a gamble, after all it is genetics and we cannot always see that.

Keep us posted on how they are doing.

Penny&Dollar

So the way the Het works is you are always buying on a chance. Bosco himself is a 66% Het and I have never bothered to try and prove him out. Underground has a proven 100% Het albino blue tegu (believe it is female) as can be seen from there "purple tiger" tegus from last year. This is not a morph just a nice looking cross. They most likely crossed this female with there male breeder blue tegu, so there is a chance that the offspring could carry the gene for albino. Only way to prove it would to breed to an albino or 100% het albino. Breeding back to an albino if it is a het would give you 50% albino and 50% hets while breeding a het to a het would give you 25% regular, 50% hets and 25% albinos and that's if nature plays to the stats.

Honestly blues will fluctuate in price and quality and looks, $500 is high but not a rip off. When buying hets its always a gamble, after all it is genetics and we cannot always see that.

Keep us posted on how they are doing.

@ chelvis how do i get them to eat this is day three and they dont eat,they dont come out all they do is hide they haven't drunk water since i got them. im extremely worried thats a 1k im gonna lose.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I feed babies in the enclosure for the first few days. Often times I have the set-up very simple for brand new babies; some moist paper towls and a few hides. I will admit that I leave crickets in the cage with the tegus, I also make sure that there is food and water for the crickets so that they have something else to nom on. Keep in mind they absorb the egg yoke when they are in the egg and may not eat for a few days to a week after hatching. In the wild they would use this time to hide under things until they get accustom to using there legs and what not.

How are you feeding them? in a bin in the enclosure?
How often and how long?

jtrux

5 Year Member
What is UR return policy? I'm not saying that you will need to do that but I'm kind of curious. I would also co wider notifying them that they are not feeding just to see what they say. In these kinds of cases where you are having problems with the animals it is better to make the breeder aware now rather than wait until the animal dies. Once again, im not saying that is the case here but seeing as how you're having problems already I would definitely let them know.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Actually, I know of 5 breeders that have clutches of blues this year. This year there are more blues than any other year.

Penny&Dollar

I feed babies in the enclosure for the first few days. Often times I have the set-up very simple for brand new babies; some moist paper towls and a few hides. I will admit that I leave crickets in the cage with the tegus, I also make sure that there is food and water for the crickets so that they have something else to nom on. Keep in mind they absorb the egg yoke when they are in the egg and may not eat for a few days to a week after hatching. In the wild they would use this time to hide under things until they get accustom to using there legs and what not.

How are you feeding them? in a bin in the enclosure?
How often and how long?

i will not lie i take them out and feed in a bin,i offer food two times a day in the morning and in the evening. i called underground they said give them a couple of days cause the just hatched. @ jtrux my return policy is none! cause they gave me this pcs of paper and on top it say if box is checked off it say this animal has NO GUARANTEE. i know this other guy in homestead thats also having the same problem.

jtrux

5 Year Member
That is soo odd. I would not yet be worried but I would strongly suggest just leaving them alone for 24hrs, don't even let them see you. Cover up the enclosure with a sheet if you have to. When you go to offer food next time just place a couple crickets in the enclosure with them, not too many so you don't overwelm them, maybe just three or four. If they don't eat those, wait another 24 bourse using the same previously described method.

I have found throughout my years that reptiles often respond better when they are "neglected". I say it that way because by nature they are not cute and cuddly creatures like puppies or kittens. I have been dealing with tortoises mostly the last few years and I've seen it all too many times where a baby won't eat amd the owners are constantly trying to force things down its throat and messing with it non stop. If you just leave them alone and let them do their thing so to speak you will typically have far better results than when you try to coddle them.

I'm not saying you are doing that by any means but I don't want to see you get to the point where you are stressing them out ennecessarilly by continuously handling them and trying to get them to eat. Just give them some space and some time to relax and offer food once per day in limited quantities inside the enclosure. I strongly recommend either placing the enclosure in a spare bedroom or covering it up though.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Get some griund turkey wit the bines ground in them and put a tiny bit in the enclosure amd see if the eat and just sit ariund the enc lose and get them used to u

from Samsung Galaxy S3

UggLeeDog

5 Year Member
The parents have lots of high whites on them so they call em platinum. Not guaranteed that his will have the as much white though because it is just a coloration.
sorry brother this is a proven genetic trait as proven by myself and StPierre... RG

UggLeeDog

5 Year Member
They cover their a$$ by saying they are possible hets. This way if they do not produce albinos, all they have to say is that they were not guaranteed.

I'm not a genetics wizard by any means but this is what I know. In order for them to call them 100% hets they would have to breed an albino to a regular OR and albino to a 100% het.

In the event that they crossed an albino to a regular, ALL the offspring would be 100% het, no albinos would be produced, all babies would look normal but carry the genes.

If they cross an albino and a 100% het, then theoretically half of the offspring would be albinos and half would be 100% hets.

If they cross a het and a non het then you will end up with the scenario that you have. ALL babies will look normal BUT theoretically 50% of them carry the genes. Whose to say that their guaranteed het was indeed a het at all.

There are other scenerios out there but I was trying to give you an idea of how they got the 50% het part.

I'll tell you this...if I was in the business of producing high end animals and I was throwing any kind of percentage out there in terms of their possible reproductive capabilities, I would be able to show documentation of it. For instance, I would be able to show (pics and a sort of pedigree) where my guaranteed het had indeed been the producer of albinos in the past. Without any of that info, you have ZERO guarantees. You wouldn't have to ask for this either, I would freely provide that info to anyone interested as to make any would be purchaser more comfortable doing business with me.

when dealing with genetics in ball pythons boas retics or ANY animals the terminology is the same so when 1 parent is het albino and PROVEN out and the other parent not proven the term for the offspring that come out normal is 50% possible het sorry if that has caused confusion it is not meant to that IS what they are and that is how they are termed I love you guys but please reserve your judgements for facts and if your not sure just ask I'm here to help... RG

UggLeeDog

5 Year Member
I'm sorry, but I just don't care for the way UG does business. Instead of offering to help, he tells you if you don't want them, other people do? That's pretty arrogant. Platinum blue is a name they made up this year for their high contrast blues.

What did I do to you? You always say the ugliest things about me why? I have sold over 300 tegus this year alone and have had virtually no complaints about the animals the service the shipping ANYTHING but as per your usual there you are blasting me why? I try to love my customers answer my critics honestly and respectfully when the hate is logical and not just jealousy but you always got hateful comments Why? Please accept my apologies if I have ever done you wrong please feel free to call me to discuss this thing but please give me a chance to earn your respect I will try... RG

UggLeeDog

5 Year Member
S
i will not lie i take them out and feed in a bin,i offer food two times a day in the morning and in the evening. i called underground they said give them a couple of days cause the just hatched. @ jtrux my return policy is none! cause they gave me this pcs of paper and on top it say if box is checked off it say this animal has NO GUARANTEE. i know this other guy in homestead thats also having the same problem.

I am sorry so far that your experience with my company has been less than stellar. I am here at the store all day today feel free to bring the animals back for an exchange or call to ask advice on care and maintenance I am here to help and serve you with any and every question you have. I bred those animals and they are about 10 generation UR stock so maybe I can help you with them just maybe...(sarcasm) Please forgive any if my guys if they were rude to you we are just so bust that sometimes that comes off as rude but I promise that is not our intention. Please call the store 954 428 8434 ask for Rian G and I will answer and and every question you have because I so appreciate the business that feeds my kids and pays my bills and I have never taken my customers (the best in the world) for granted EVER... that goes for any egu talk members... RG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980