• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Parents

datflack89

So my parents are not letting me get a black and white tegu. I have the job, can pay for all of the expenses, have the space.... If it were for these circumstances i would respect their decision. BUT the reason they are not letting me get one is for the sole fact that they are scared of one.. They are literally scared that it will get out of his enclosure at night and attack them or something.. This is completely irrational and i don't even think if he got out his initial thinking would be to attack the first thing he sees.... like i said i would ultimately respect their decision but i just feel so disappointed that the reason i will not be getting one of these great animals is because of their completely ridiculous fear of one.. how can i change their minds?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
A. How old are you? B. I can give you tons of advice, as I have a lot of experience with parents and animals. I'm 18 and have gotten my parents to the point where they are perfectly comfortable with most reptiles. My mom likes the reptiles and has offered to care for them during college. With that being said, I think you need to help them overcome the fear. If you know anyplace they can interact with a large lizard or tegu that is tame, I think that seeing that would help them. Show them Rick Siscoes tegu interaction video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jva0NDlT_wk It truly shows how tame tegus can become. Also, explain to them that the tegu won't be big for quite a while in which time they will be able to get used to it. This all depends on age and the parents. If you're over 15 I doubt convincing them will be to hard, but if you're under it may be harder.

m3s4

Tegusareawesome80 - I was going to suggest the exact same video. As a matter of fact, the tegu attention video is actually the same video that sealed the deal for tegus becoming a permanent part of my life.

Despite your best efforts, they may be in vain.

However...

I don't know the situation with you and your parents but 10 minutes spent on YOUTUBE watching any video(s) pertaining to "tame tegu" will give a great representation of their incredibly docile, intelligent, and often attention seeking behavior(s).

It's a shame they can't meet Ally, my 5 year old B&W. She's as tame as any cat or canine, loves affection, gets pampered by my GF to no end (including getting pedicures, painted toe-nails and daily showers with her) and is as gentle as they come. If anything, she's quite shy when she first meets people and wants one of us to hold her or try and comfort her until she's sure she isn't in danger. Pretty much the exact opposite of a tegu looking to get out of it's enclosure and attack someone or something.

Good luck in your endeavor to acquire one of these beautiful animals. If you get one, I guarantee your parents will have a change of heart when they actually get to interact with him/her.

datflack89

I'm 17 years old, and I was thinking about that video but it may freak them out because of how many there are in that enclosure. Like I said I am 100 % positive I can care for it. Also we're are in the process of moving within a month or two but I told them that it will not get to its adult size in at least a year because of the hibernation. And that will not need it's adult size enclosure until after we move. I wish I had somewhere to go to show them a tegu. There is the white plains expo on April 22 but I don't know if they'll have tegus or if varnyard will be sold out by then

They also just said that they feel bad that such a big animal needs to stay in an enclosure. Even though I said they love a way better life in captivity

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hibernation is not a guarantee and they can reach 3' before they're a year old. At 17 what are your plans for the near future graduation, college, and getting your own place?

Not everyone gets over their fears so you may be better off waiting until you're settled with your own place. I could have just about anything fuzzy that I wanted when I was younger just not reptiles, especially snakes until I moved out. Sometimes that just the way it is.

datflack89

If college was an issue I would have stated it. I have had reptiles and before everyone they were scared and grew to love them.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Okay, well if college isn't an issue then by all means try for a tegu. Show them the video and show that all those tegus are tame and most are if you hold them when they're young.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm gonna keep this simple and leave it at that.

If you have been in a similar situation where they grew to love your reptiles. Then you should already know what to do and exactly what it takes to get them to change their mind.

Even with that, some people have fears that they refuse to face no matter how ridiculous it may seem to you.

Therefore you have two choices.

Do what you know to try and see if they change their mind and get over it.

Or Deal with it until you get your own place and can have what you want.

datflack89

Bubblz Calhoun said:
I'm gonna keep this simple and leave it at that.

If you have been in a similar situation where they grew to love your reptiles. Then you should already know what to do and exactly what it takes to get them to change their mind.

Even with that, some people have fears that they refuse to face no matter how ridiculous it may seem to you.

Therefore you have two choices.

Do what you know to try and see if they change their mind and get over it.

Or Deal with it until you get your own place and can have what you want.

I appreciate your replies, but I made this thread so anyone who had a video, fact about tegus to help me out with convincing my parents to allow one could share it with me. I understand what it takes to own one for I have greatly researched this species of reptile. If there was something holding me back from getting one I would realize it and not buy one. If no other person on the site had anything to tell me to help me convince them, the thread would dim down by itself. I do not appreciate your questioning of my future and if i could own one or your pushing me away from my own thread trying to tell me to convince them with my own knowledge. I simply made this thread to receive any help from other users of this site if possible. I feel both of your replies to be "in my face" on the topic of buying a tegu and not answering what i have asked of this sites users. So if you have nothing else to add to help me convince them don't reply back stating something irrelevant. and if no one else has anything to share with me to show them, so be it, and the thread will die down. thank you

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
There's no reason to get so emotional over someone checking to make sure that you won't have issues with college since you're a 17 year old many of whom will be going to college next year. If you're not going to accept some people trying to give you advice then you clearly aren't ready to convince your parents that you're capable of this. They're going to ask you the exact same questions.

datflack89

I am not emotional over it. But I'm offended to be questioned by someone whether or not I could keep something when they have no idea who i am. that's not why i made the thread. if that were the issue I would have made a thread asking for ideas of what to do with a tegu when going to college. I understand the choices I have of convincing them or waiting until i get my own place. im just asking for help convincing them. i understand his concern but it is not necessary.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
So what are you going to do with the tegu when going to college? If you understand his concern then why are you angry? Getting questioned by people isn't always a bad thing. No one's personally attacking you they're just making sure you know what you're getting into and have it all mapped out.

fox020708

Well. In my opinion nobody should have to answer personal questions. And if he knows he can take care of it, nobody should question his ability of doing that.

if i were you id show them the sisco reptile video.. That may do the trick :D

AP27

You could show your parents how smart they are and that you can train them like a dog! lol. Just tell them its a hairless puppy haha. I trained mine to come when called and do a little tri-pod stand on command. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kdncu7TWCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwFuvitjiNE

...of course now he's way bigger and too lazy to do the stand up trick anymore lol. A lot of people on here have absolutely adorable pictures of their tegus as well that show off their cuddliness :)
He even gets along with my cats. Hardly something that would escape and attack. lol

1334445082.jpg

There's plenty of evidence of their positive, non-aggressive nature on this forum, just gotta dig around for it a bit. Check out some of the picture threads and such, you'll find something. But if they can't be swayed, then they can't be swayed. Then I guess you'd just have to wait. ...or just bring one home and say "guess what I got?" :) lol...though that may not go over well.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Changed my mind,.. not leaving it at that.

datflack89 said:
I feel both of your replies to be "in my face" on the topic of buying a tegu and not answering what i have asked of this sites users.

You asked "how can I change their minds?" which I answered more than once you may not be able to.
Since it's something you've been through before and they came around then what's the problem now? Maybe there's more to it than just their "ridiculous fears" as you put it of tegus.

datflack89 said:
your pushing me away from my own thread

Nobody's trying to run you away from your thread but it's a public forum that anyone registered can respond to. Whether you like the answers you get or not and I guarantee (like this one) you won't. There's nothing you can do about it,.. besides take it for what it is or leave it and move on.

There was nothing offensive about what I said or even how I said it. But if you took it that way then so be it, take it what ever way you like.

datflack89 said:
I do not appreciate your questioning of my future and if i could own one

Of course I'm questioning you, it's the internet, I don't know you,... if I did then hopefully I'd know more and wouldn't have to question you. If you stick around long enough you'll see more threads, from more people asking the same questions, with the same woe is me attitude and my parents this or that sob story who thought they were ready. Then they're re homing or selling that same tegu a few months later over something that could have easily been prevented.

Get use to it,. there's always going to be somebody questioning you. Who doesn't agree with you (or me), your opinions or anything else. Just the same as rules and regulations about something you can, can't have or do. Whether you have your own place or not, some times you just have to suck it up, deal with it and move on.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
^^^ That... And why shouldn't people have to answer personal questions? No one's forcing him to. We're just asking him. He's acting hostile in return.

got10

Why all the hostility? All people are try to do is HELP you convince your parents on how to allow you to obtain and house a tegu. And since everyone here started out WITHOUT one ,before they HAD one. They would be the ones to know how to GET one into a home. God gave you one mouth and two ears for a reason ,to talk half as much as you listen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980