• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ordering a baby red tegu, Help urgent

nat

5 Year Member
good point bobby, My tegu had bad nose rub for that reason from a previous owners... and that was from the top of the cage so the sides definately. Also, I can't imagine much of the substrate would stay in the cage with wires on the side.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
that's kinda what i thought, i have plexi glass so, i'll just replace that sometime this week before the tegu arrives this saturday, i actually had some guy put the doors up for me while i was away on school, only to find out that he put wires up insted of plexi glass i told him to use, completly not my fault, just didn't have the time to fix the cage

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nat said:
It would make a nice cham cage to with all the ventilation.
How would you keep in the crickets?? I wanted to build a bigger cage for our Veiled but I couldn't find any screen with 1/8" spacing. 1/4" might be too wide for him to comfortably grip.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
the dimentions are around 5 1/2' long, and 2 1/2' wide, as for the height it's about 3' tall
but the way, if anyone is concerned about the enclosure, please do
I had a guy put it up for me while i was at school
I told the guy to put cover the top with plexi glass on one half, and wire on the other half because of the heat
and i told him to use plexi glass for the doors, but he used wires insted
it's like 25 degrees everytime anyways, so it's pretty warm everytime, i sometimes bring my blanket and my pillow to my reptile room to sleep there, because my bedroom is way too cold during the night

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
btw, if anyone is interested i have some pics of my monkey tail skink on the skink forum, so check him out, he's really cool

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't forget you have to provide a basking spot (75W or 90W halogen bulb suggested) and UVB. Unless you're using a MegaRay he's not going to get any UVB from that height.

For a little guy, 4" of mulch should be OK. It looks like you've got enough depth for that.

Definitely replace to chicken wire. He'll rip his face up the first day.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
i am acutally building a hide that will be tall enough to reach the light, so the tegu will be able to bask and hide, but the hide will be tight also, i'll give you guys more pics of the fixed enclosure once it's done, when he arrives, he's going to stay in a huge rubber made container when he arrives anyway, when he gets about 2' he'll move into the enclosure and will be able to get the whole room to roam free around during the day

nat

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
nat said:
How would you keep in the crickets?? I wanted to build a bigger cage for our Veiled but I couldn't find any screen with 1/8" spacing. 1/4" might be too wide for him to comfortably grip.

I have seen similar enclosures where the feeder insects are placed in smooth sided containers that are high enough so that they cannot climb/jump out the sides. The chams are usually high up and can see into the bowl from the top and eat them out of that. I don't know much about chams as I haven't kept a lot of them myself but I have a couple friends who love the funny little buggers

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nat said:
DaveDragon said:
nat said:

I have seen similar enclosures where the feeder insects are placed in smooth sided containers that are high enough so that they cannot climb/jump out the sides. The chams are usually high up and can see into the bowl from the top and eat them out of that. I don't know much about chams as I haven't kept a lot of them myself but I have a couple friends who love the funny little buggers
We've never tried putting the crickets in a container. Our Veiled is the easiest herp to feed, dump some crickets in and a small bowl of greens. I've heard they can be finicky at times. If he sees a cricket, it's gone! They have amazing accuracy! They are cool, they have those goofy feet and eyes rolling all over the place. They can be real nasty when they're young (our was!!) but calm down.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
don't chams only live up to 6 years or less? i don't really like chams, you can't really handle them the way you want to, and they don't move around much, or just slowly, not my type

nat

5 Year Member
KoreanDeathKid said:
don't chams only live up to 6 years or less? i don't really like chams, you can't really handle them the way you want to, and they don't move around much, or just slowly, not my type

I am with you, I have never cared too much for Chams but I know a couple local breeders who absolutely adore their chams and can tell you all the variations of personalities and moods they can go through. to eat their own!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nat said:
I am with you, I have never cared too much for Chams but I know a couple local breeders who absolutely adore their chams and can tell you all the variations of personalities and moods they can go through.
The one we have was very moody (angry) when he was young. Now he's just cranky. But dang he's beautiful!!!

nat said:
to eat their own!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

nat

5 Year Member
ha ha ha each.. each!!!!!! ha ha ha damn I am NOT paying attention and my mind is some where else. oh that's good.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used to keep jacksons. Not my type either. More of a display lizard.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard the veiled are among the heartiest. I can't really say though, since I've never owned them. Although the Jacksons bred, they really weren't as much fun as tegus, monitors, or even beardies.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
ha yah, veileds are cheapest too
they grow up to a good size, and have the best coloring in my opinion, my friend used to have veileds, but all of them died for some reason, and now he's moving on to tarantulas and frogs
i like snakes, boas, pythons, monitors, tegus, geckos, and water dragons they are my favorite pet reptiles

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
well, before i start a new thread on the new red tegu that is going to arrive sometime next weekend, here are some pictures of the 2 red tegus that Jim from J&J reptiles sent me
the first 2 pictures is a 16 inch red tegu with lots of white in him
getattachment2nm9.jpg

getattachment1qx3.jpg

now here is a 13 inch red tegu with a very high contrast, Jim told me that he is currently in shed!! :shock: can you just imaine the coloring on him when he's done shedding
getattachment1kr4.jpg

getattachment1ug2.jpg

I went for the second one if anyone is interested in which one i went for[/url]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602