• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New B/W Tegus

themedic

yes they eat like champs, eat anything i throw in their food dish. the male still freaks out when he sees my hands, the female is a doll.

they are truley smart reptiles, when they see the purple food dish i feed them coming in they immedietly get curious and approach me in a "hey give me that food" so to confuse them I am going to use different food bowls every 4-6 weeks.

also I take the food dish out after they are done eating so they dont get protective over there food dish, they eat twice a day once at 11, and agian at 1. by 4-5 they are asleep.

they are obviously outside right now in a pretty decent size cage I think they are happy for the most part, have a weekly misting to keep the humidity up, and i handle the female atleast an hour at time when I pick her up and she gives me no problems whats so ever.

hopefully in a couple of months they will get bigger, and I am hoping they dont hibernate this year but if they do, i guess thats part of a tegus life!

themedic

so every month I feed them something different

first couple of weeks i fed them alot of canned dog food/eggs/chicken.

last month I fed them alot of small mice, dog food/eggs.

this month they are eating, tuna/egg and crushed up dry dog food.

they love the little peices of dog food on the top of the wet tuna, there food is always fresh i never let it sit there and get old, when they are done eating I take out there bowl and wash it for later use.

They eat twice a day once in the morning at 7, once around 3.

oh all there food is supplemented with d3, twice a week.

change water every day and misted once a week, i noticed the cypress mulch stays pretty moist underneath the first 1/2 inch of cover.

I would say they are growing pretty nicely.

Enjoy!

PS - For all you people having issues with cage aggression, a way around that is just to feed them when they are asleep.

Attachments

• tegu2.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 5
  • tegu1.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 5

themedic

Ok so I havent picked up my male tegu in a while, wanted him to get used to my presence before I pushed myself onto him.

Today he lunged out of his cage to go for some food that I was feeding him, nothing out of the norm for him as he is very aggressive feeder but I dont mind I like his attitude he demands respect.

Anyway, he jumped out of his cage and landed on the floor, I was like "Holy crap, now I have to pick him up" so I put his food on the floor let him eat so he wasnt all hungry when I would pick him up, he ate then I very gently picked him up.

All I can say is OMG, he is so big now, I havent picked him up for atleast 60 days and today was the first time I touched him, he didnt even budge when I picked him up, didnt try to squiggle away or anything I was very suprised he was so calm.

needless to say I am very happy that my tegus are growing fast, healthy and are good spirited reptiles, i really lucked out thanks BOBBY!!!

themedic

so i made a bench that connects to the front of their cage when the door is open, so that they can get used to coming to the food rather then the food coming to them, plus it will get them both aquainted with not being cage aggressive anymore since now they will now they only eat outside the cage when they see the bench being set up, ill get pics asap.

themedic

Just a couple of pics to show growth of the tegus enjoying there food in the sun.

Attachments

• teg3.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 3
  • teg2.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 4
  • teg1.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 4

mastroj

Thats a great idea with the bench. I hope it helps solve the problem with cage aggresion. I am most liekly taking my tegu home this weekend, I have handled him a few times already and he is pretty good. He does a few warning whips when I try to take him out, but he is improving everytime I see him. HE is only like 8 inches so far, if that, so he couldnt do much damage. Once he is out he will pretty much fall asleep in my hands. After reading through your post I am definitely going to feed him in a seperate tank.

Thanks for being so detailed with your tegu journey thus far.

MAstroj

themedic

no problem, anything i can do to help just ask.

the bench has helped tremendously, they come out sit in the sun and grub out, i pet them when they eat and after and when they are ready to go back to there home they just turn around and head in.

if your tegu is a pain to pick up, use the bench method, he will come out to eat, stand there while he eats and watch him, he will get aquainted with seeing your stance, and within a few weeks he will understand you arent there to steal his food or to eat him either.

before you know it he will let you pick him up no problem, ive been working with my male tegu and now he is really awsome, doesnt even puff up when I go to get him.

very pleased with training, the trick is to NOT GIVE UP!!

BEST OF LUCK!!

themedic

so the bench idea is working fantastic.

they come out to eat then walk back into their cage when the foods all done.

they are eating twice a day, once in the morning then once before lights out.

they are growing tremendously, there tail bases are very fat and they are very healthy looking.

I read that as long as you can see the line on there back where their spinal cord is they are in good health and are not "obese" luckily i can see the line on both of them.

I was just wondering the common length and weight of a 1 year old tegu is, mine are currently around 25-30 inches long, about 6-7 months old, I have not weighed them yet I wanted to wait till 12 month mark to weigh them, then weigh them every 3 months after that.

Thanks!

tora

They're looking good. :D
I saw you mentioned d3, you're using calcium more than that too, right?

themedic

woops i ment calcium, its that repti zoo med calcium supplement, i give em a dose or two every week they eat it up!

thanks for the compliment.

maybe in 3 years they will breed for me.

tora

I'm thinking that since they aren't getting lots of whole food items this month they need more cal, since they aren't getting any from eating bones. You should have some powder with and w/o d3, since they needs lots of cal but you can OD them on d3. They should prob get the powder with d3 every 2-3 days or so, and cal powder every non whole food item feeding (turkey, tuna, etc.) day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980