• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Name for a female savannah monitor

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I feel you, my croc monitor use to lunge at me whenever he got the chance, but he was just plain old mean. The local zoo has him now and I plan on checking in on him to see how he's doing now.

Sirhc401

I got him yesterday. And was told he is 3 years. And found out it was a male because he decided after pooping in the bath to erect a large double sided tube organs out of the vent. So we looked at each other and said "uhhhhhhh, I'm thinking that's a male" and honestly. He is pretty chill except for what I mentioned. He tolerates handling just fine and enjoys coming out.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Then it's not as bad, all you gotta do is straighten the feeding response, use a designated bowl for feeding, should help.

Sirhc401

Yeah. The cage Aggression is easy to fix. Just let the interaction be on his terms. I was planning to try a food dish or just bathtub. You think the food dish will work better or tongs? Or both? We were thinking on spraying or skin with perfume to really make us smell like we are not food as well. Any thoughts?

But see he nips at our skin. If he associates skin with food. How do I stop that?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The perfume may work, but would it be toxic? I use the food dish with my herps, but some times I'll use tongs, it depends on the food really. I've never had an animal who associated me with food, my croc monitor just hated the sight of people, then again he wasn't handled much if at all, he was more so a display, but I adored him either way haha. Im sure your sav will come around.

Sirhc401

I don't think perfume is toxic unless ingested so that is not an issue. I hope he comes around cause when I think about it. It is who has owned him that makes him aggressive. Cause he was hand fed, bad. Fed in a cage at the pet store, bad. And when he was retrieved from the cage he was yanked out if their quick and forceful, bad. So really he is a good monitor who has bad habits from where he has been.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hand feeding is bad, but what makes you think in cage feeding is bad? Monitors are not like any other reptile and really can't be treated as such. They have specific needs which unless met they will not survive. Tong feeding will help him associate you with a positive thing. What temps and humidity are you providing in the enclosure?

Sirhc401

It causes cage aggression does it not? The humidity is temporarily around 50 till I can figure out the substrate. What do you recommend? He has a basking spot on tile at 110 degrees. Which from my knowledge is just a bit low. And will the tong feeding stop the association with our skin being food?
And my assumption on a male is accurate right?
TeguBuzz said:
Name him Psych. You know why, haha.

That is hilarious. But a pretty good name too. I'm seriously considering that

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I fed all my animals within their enclosures. Nowadays the only time Sobek eats out of his enclosure is when he's already out, but he associates the bowl and my tongs with food, that's about it. I suggest going with the tongs like James recommended, in time he'll figure your skin is not food. Thats my take on it.

And as for the name, whatever you decide, do let us know.

Sirhc401

I will for sure. Along with pics for introducing after I have him set up better. Which is why I like asking here. And I'm researching every detail

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use dirt for my monitors and tegu, one of which is a Savannah. If the only time you go in the cage is to feed it could cause aggression, but otherwise it shouldn't. My sav seems to associate the tongs, plastic bags and me grabbing the roach tub with food. Basking spot should be about 130, just raise the tile or lower the bulb to raise temps. He sounds like a boy from what you describe, and males are much easier because they don't lay eggs, so you don't have the worry of providing a nesting spot or them getting egg bound.

Savannamonitor.org is a good place for info or feel free to ask here.

Sirhc401

I have been studying that website for the past few hours. And I plan on following it's good advice on monitor care. My only concern after reading on the site is that apparently excessive force handling can cause Irreversable negative response to handling

He is 3 years old, we know nothing of his past other than he has been force handled and hand fed

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What I would recommend is get him in a proper enclosure with proper temps, humidity and substrate. Leave him alone for about a month only going in the enclosure to spot clean, change water and feed. After this time start tong feeding and see how he reacts. I'm going to guess his behavior will change once he is setup properly. If you were looking for a tame reptile, you may have picked the wrong one.

Sirhc401

Well see, his cage aggression is not too bad when I make it on his terms. When I went to give him a bath this morning I put on gloves and he did nit like me coming to him, so I pet his head a bit and he was unsure, I stopped and let him decide what to do, he climbed on the glove and I scooped him up. He really had no fuss fir the handling. He is not too fond of petting on the body. But when I let him Freeroam with us he would look at our skin curiously then just go for what looks like a test bite.
He ran after my toes at one point though. And when we picked him up and put him back he would stop clawing at the cage and seemed content.

But because of monitor tactics I'm not familiar with what are stressful and good responses

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am going to guess once setup properly his attitude will change. There is a possibility you have a "tame" monitor, but I wouldn't be so sure until he is setup right. Monitors can become very docile when cold and 110 degrees is cold for them.

What are you seeing that makes you think he is cage/food aggressive?

Sirhc401

He would hiss and tail whip when I would try to retrieve him in the cage. And posture. But it is not so much that I'm worried about I just don't want a bite. Even a testing me if I'm food bite ya know?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced