• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My friend doesn’t know how to take care of their damned tegu and it could be in pain for it

Artemis_549

Horrible owner. I live in seattle and would take him. Agreed with earlier posts on this matter. The stress of shipping could kill him. Regardless, I am happy to help however I am able. The reptile needs a new home and vet care
Well, to update you and whoever else might see this post, my friend wants to keep him despite having close to no money in the bank.
I don’t have too much either, but I’m trying to use an amazon gift card to buy a UVB light for him as well as calcium powder.
I’m currently feeding him hard boiled eggs with the shell (I read that that’s good for him) but he’s not eating and he keeps closing his eyes.
He’s extremely weak right now and if anyone can give me tips as to how I can take care of him then I’ll take as much as I can get. Anything’s helpful right about now. I’m just trying to get him better.

Artemis_549

So... I don’t know if this is healthy for him.
But I was eating blueberries while feeding him eggs (except he’s not eating them and keeps shaking his head from side to side) and thought I’d let him try one.
Now it looks like he’ll only eat his eggs if I give him a blueberry to go with it.
Is that ok?

Mike B

Well, to update you and whoever else might see this post, my friend wants to keep him despite having close to no money in the bank.
I don’t have too much either, but I’m trying to use an amazon gift card to buy a UVB light for him as well as calcium powder.
I’m currently feeding him hard boiled eggs with the shell (I read that that’s good for him) but he’s not eating and he keeps closing his eyes.
He’s extremely weak right now and if anyone can give me tips as to how I can take care of him then I’ll take as much as I can get. Anything’s helpful right about now. I’m just trying to get him better.

Hi, you can call or text me. 4258290409. Happy to help over the phone.

Mike

onnie0047

Im into this conversation a bit late. For those of us who have Tegus, I have 3 myself, the picture is heartbreaking. Its not my intention of busting your chops or even the "owner" of this poor Tegu but instead give you SOUND advice. Let me start off by saying I am cheap, I try to squeeze the last penny out of every deal I can, I wheel, deal and talk prices down to bear minimum when I can. I live on a budget thus I try to find a way of doing things CHEAPER. I found out quickly when I got my first Tegu, even cheap costs. Some who raise Tegus have no issues spending a ton of money on feeding and housing Tegus, But you can not do it properly with little to no money in your pocket or in hand. I live in the country so I have the option of raising live prey for my 3. I went from 40 dollars every week to about 25% of that just by raising my own live prey. But even that costs and I suspect it will be well over a year when the start up costs are eaten up by what I save by raising my own. So I guest what I am trying to say, if you can not afford 20 to 40 dollars each week for proper care, this included, live or frozen prey, some fruit, some veggies, the proper enclosure with the proper temps on each side, the proper heat lamps, the proper UVB bulbs, calcium, regardless of how much he WANTS to keep the Tegu, he really needs to think what is best for the Tegu and not for himself. Do Tegus, suffer, yes I believe they do, they are smart, they are moody and they know how to play their owners. This guy is hurting right now. He is most likely trying to conserve energy. If he is not eating, you are going to half to force feed him or he WILL DIE. There have been a lot of offers here of those who would take him but worry about him surviving shipping...Ill go one further. Ill come and pick him up and take him back to Michigan and do my best to bring him back to health, but from the pictures I don't think he has much of a chance of surviving. I live on a retirement budget but ill find the money to come there, pick him tip and do my best to get him back to healthy as possible. And no, he will not come back to your BF.

Last edited:

Zyn

Again Art I’m not trying to come off harsh towards you in anyway, just the situation.

Now If this was a dog your friend would be looking at criminal neglect. This is why these animals should never be sold to anyone still in high school unless proven to have a job or understanding parents, willing to help support their hobby.

I don’t care if you friend wants to keep it. It won’t survive this care much longer sadly. Even with a full recovery it’ll suffer dibilitating handicaps for the rest of its life.

It needs a doctor, it needs an IV drip and then forced fed ground up whole rats, that can be injected like a paste down his throat. He needs to be soaked maybe he’ll drink while he soaks. Just getting an UVB lamp at this point isn’t going to do much, its far beyond that point sadly.

Last edited:

Artemis_549

Again Art I’m not trying to come off harsh towards you in anyway, just the situation.

Now If this was a dog your friend would be looking at criminal neglect. This is why these animals should never be sold to anyone still in high school unless proven to have a job or understanding parents, willing to help support their hobby.

I don’t care if you friend wants to keep it. It won’t survive this care much longer sadly. Even with a full recovery it’ll suffer dibilitating handicaps for the rest of its life.

It needs a doctor, it needs an IV drip and then forced fed ground up whole rats, that can be injected like a paste down his throat. He needs to be soaked maybe he’ll drink while he soaks. Just getting an UVB lamp at this point isn’t going to do much, its far beyond that point sadly.
I’m hoping to try and force feed him.
He seems to like the blueberries so I was told to smear them over his other foods in hope that he eats it.

Jan Margelowsky

I really hate to say this but I truly believe this poor tegu is beyond help. Please, end his suffering, it's the humane thing to do. I am a retired animal technician of over 20 years and I love animals but this is passed the point of saving. I just spent $1,700 in vet bills for my tegu that got a blockage and impaction from eating a rat that was a bit too large. Tegu need a LOT of very specific care from day one to thrive, they are not a pet for a novice reptile keeper. Tegan, my Tegu, has a proper sized set-up, proper humidity, proper heat and UVB and a proper diet and still we had an issue. Thankfully, I managed the cost of this care and got her through this incident and didn't lose her.

I'd hate to invest that much money and still end up with a dead Tegu. Please do the right thing and put this poor Tegu to rest.

onnie0047

... Mike B as offered phone support, give him a call or text he can help you I am sure in that area, its kinda easy. again my offer is open to pick him up re-home him here in Michigan where ill see he get the medical attention he needs.

Artemis_549

Update for those who may be worrying about him: I have someone from this site coming to pick him up and rehome him tomorrow morning.
I’ve force-fed him as much as I could and he’s now soaking in a warm bath, after which I’ll bring him back to his enclosure to let him rest before he’s picked up.
Thank you to everyone who’s stepped in to help me.
Hopefully enoughs been done to help him survive the trip to his new home.
Once again, it means so much to me that you’ve all tried in some way to help. I just wished I noticed what was wrong sooner.

Julieonna

I hope to hear the out come on this. My fingers are crossed he will survive and is able to live a pain free life.
I have a beautiful Blue Tegu and have been asked a number of times if I would ever breed him. My answer is always, no. I couldn't bear the thought of one or probably more of the babies ending up with an owner who is irresponsible, un knowledgeable, or just flat out non caring. They are a huge responsibility. And a lot of reward when done right.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpg
    123_1.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 16

Sean Garrity

He’s not my animal but I know my friend doesn’t care about him anymore so I doubt he’d care if we have him to someone else.
But the thing is idk how to go about this, like where do I go? A pet store? I’ve never taken care of my own pet before so I have no clue how to do this.
This other lady I talked to said I should have him put down but if there’s a way we can avoid that I wish I wouldn’t have to do that. Not to mention I have no money I like JUST got out of high school.

Take him to the Odd Pet Vet: 500 Columbian Street, South Weymouth, MA 02190, 781-682-4878 Dr. Greg Mertz is a wonderful Vet who has experience with Tegus (he's owned them). If anyone can help, he can. He is EXTREMELY Reasonable. We take our Reptiles to him. Please keep us posted.

Where abouts in RI are you?

Sean Garrity

Take him to the Odd Pet Vet: 500 Columbian Street, South Weymouth, MA 02190, 781-682-4878 Dr. Greg Mertz is a wonderful Vet who has experience with Tegus (he's owned them). If anyone can help, he can. He is EXTREMELY Reasonable. We take our Reptiles to him. Please keep us posted.

Where abouts in RI are you?

We are in RI too. Willing to take him to the Vet.

Lindan

This is very sad and the animals quality of life must be determined at this point by a veterinarian. Two things I read above I would like to comment on. One, mbd cannot be reversed. It can be stopped and perhaps a small imrovement made but the damage already done is permanent. Two, and the most important freezing a reptile is not humane and in all circumstances considered animal abuse. Freezing actually crystalizes the blood and as that happens it is very painful. There are several write ups on it.

Gary

This is very sad and the animals quality of life must be determined at this point by a veterinarian. Two things I read above I would like to comment on. One, mbd cannot be reversed. It can be stopped and perhaps a small imrovement made but the damage already done is permanent. Two, and the most important freezing a reptile is not humane and in all circumstances considered animal abuse. Freezing actually crystalizes the blood and as that happens it is very painful. There are several write ups on it.
MBD can be reversed. That’s not to say there won’t be permanent deformities, but the disease itself (body drawing calcium from bones) can be stopped and the bones can be restrengthened.

Many people in this thread seem to think this tegu is beyond hope. I do not think that is the case. I’ve seen some very surprising recoveries. I hope Achilles turns out to be one of those. I’m very happy to hear someone is coming to pick him up and give him the care he needs.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know of any write-ups demonstrating pain associated with their freezing. I would like to read them.

Guman

I am very late to this conversation and just want to thank everyone for their supportive and compassionate responses. This tegue has been neglected, and many who see these pictures probably had the same response of anger when seeing this guy. Nevertheless, you guys were great to a young man who also wanted to help. I am glad Achillies is going to a rescue!

EnjoysWine

I don't know of any write-ups demonstrating pain associated with their freezing. I would like to read them.

I would have thought that at such a low temperature, the animal's brain function would have decreased to the point that they wouldn't feel the pain of their blood crystallizing. I did a search on the topic of freezing as a method for euthanasia, and the first paper I found seems to agree with me:
http://bio.biologists.org/content/early/2015/05/18/bio.012179

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam