• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My friend doesn’t know how to take care of their damned tegu and it could be in pain for it

Artemis_549

So my friend has had his tegu for a while but he never really knew how to take care of it from the beginning (and neither do I).
My friend went on vacation for a month and Achilles (the tegu) just recently grew a lump on his back according to my friends Mom who was taking care of it.
I have no idea if Achilles is in pain for it, or if it will go away or obviously what it is and I need advice with how to help him from this point.
I cleaned his tank thing but my friend didn’t have any new mulch so I had to sift it around and use a spray bottle to moisten it. But that’s all I’ve done (asides from feeding him today). Please help.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would think more information is needed and pics of the lump if possibe?

How big or old is he?
What are the Temps?
What is the Humidity?
Is there UV?
How often and what are you feeding?

Just for a few questions.....I know hes not yours but the more info you can supply the more chance that someone maybe able to supply an answer..... but ultamateley a Vet visit could be needed

Artemis_549

Honestly idk any of those other than I think he’s fed like chicken hearts and/or ground beef every other day? I give him strawberries whenever I can which isn’t too often. Sometimes eggs.
I’ll post a pic.
His lights are switched from a bright yellow heating light during the day to a red one at night. My friend set up a regular humidifier (idk if there’s one specifically for lizards but he doesn’t have one of those) in the room.

Artemis_549

6E29F4F3-3AAD-48A0-8F6F-48640237AAEB.jpeg

Artemis_549

I think he’s only like two years or so old? He’s really small but idk if that’s because he’s young or malnutritioned (idk if that’s a real word but you get what I mean).
I love animals and I’d hate to see him in pain.

Zyn

Umm first off he looks damn near starved to death? Extreamly sick, dehydrated, and starved that image is sickening to look at. I feel very sorry for this animal he needs to be rescued

He defiantly has MBD I take it he’s never had a UVB light at any point in his life. He needs to be taken away and put on an emergency regiment of whole prey and UVB exsposure. He really does look near death.

Last edited:

VenusAndSaturn

Do I even question how it's still alive? That just looks really bad...
He definitely needs a vet, a UVB bulb, a better diet... just a lot of stuff that probably needs fixing.

Artemis_549

He’s not my animal but I know my friend doesn’t care about him anymore so I doubt he’d care if we have him to someone else.
But the thing is idk how to go about this, like where do I go? A pet store? I’ve never taken care of my own pet before so I have no clue how to do this.
This other lady I talked to said I should have him put down but if there’s a way we can avoid that I wish I wouldn’t have to do that. Not to mention I have no money I like JUST got out of high school.

Artemis_549

Please tell me what to do I don’t have much money but I can figure something out if it helps him.
I don’t know where to go to get him help.

Zyn

Where does it live. If he doesn’t get help soon he will die. He may be better off being put down, reptile owners like this are why these people
Shouldn’t be sold these animals. I know he’s not yours, I’m talking the owner. If he’s in Ohio I’d tske him

Artemis_549

We live in Rhode Island...
I just can’t stand to see him like this. I was going to take him to my place but even then I have no money I don’t know how to take care of him and I have no space since it’s my grandmothers house.

Zyn

The problem is Art he needs to be given to someone that can afford what it’s going to take to save him.

We’re taking whole prey, a vet trip that may cost in the thousands, constant treatment and observation.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't mean to sound awful but It looks like hes just skin and bone.... Not very healthy at all, I know that MBD ( metabolic bone disease) can cause lumps..... It also sounds like your friend just has him under just heat lamps and NO UVB (Ultra violet-b) which along with other things causes MBD.

He needs...

1) UVB light
2) Moisture
3) Vitamin Suppliment
4) Whole prey for food

and thats with out even putting any deep though in to it

Artemis_549

So what you’re saying is the best thing for him is to be put down?
I don’t know anyone with that kind of money
I feel horrible I wish I could’ve helped him sooner I’m sorry

Zyn

I’d almost offer to pay for you to ship him but I don’t think he’d survive the trip. You could look for a reptile rescue that’s close to you

Artemis_549

Thank you so much for the help and I’m sorry for the trouble.
I’ll look into the reptile rescue and I just hope he’ll be ok. I’m so sorry

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Either A LOT of money with very uncertain positive results, or euthanize. A vet can euthanize. Freezing will also work. The animal goes to sleep as if it were brumation and then freezes. Humane in my opinion. Behavior of the past owner is a disgrace.

Gary

I am willing to rescue him, but as Zyn said I’m not sure he will survive the overnight shipping. If your friend would rather do that than euthanize the poor guy feel free to get in contact with me. It clearly has severe MBD which CAN be treated and reversed. Although this guy seems to have permanent deformities from the condition, there is still hope. This is a disgusting example of animal neglect/abuse, so I highly recommend you tell your friend to find a solution ASAP.

Mike B

Honestly idk any of those other than I think he’s fed like chicken hearts and/or ground beef every other day? I give him strawberries whenever I can which isn’t too often. Sometimes eggs.
I’ll post a pic.
His lights are switched from a bright yellow heating light during the day to a red one at night. My friend set up a regular humidifier (idk if there’s one specifically for lizards but he doesn’t have one of those) in the room.

Horrible owner. I live in seattle and would take him. Agreed with earlier posts on this matter. The stress of shipping could kill him. Regardless, I am happy to help however I am able. The reptile needs a new home and vet care

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980