• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Monitor Taming

jdpFL

James....it WAS a humidity issue! Savannahs in the wild stay buried during the dry season. To keep hydrated. My brilliant hubby noticed the new set up was not holding humidity well...he sealed the screen with heating duct tape...we now have 85-90%, foggy glass, and a happily active, basking monitor! Whew, you can screw something up in a hurry with these guys! Gonna keep feeding in the tank and let him be for awhile so he can relax.
Thanks for the suggestions and input. :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad you got it figured out. Be careful with humidity that high, mold/fungus can and will grow.

jdpFL

Ugh. What do you do about that? I think I read somewhere about adding organisms that eat it to your substrate, but sounds complicated. Do you just keep an eye on it and change if necessary?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is all you really can do, keep an eye on it. I'm having problems with it on the cool side of my tegus enclosure.

shinobi602

Made a lot of sense reading it, thanks for the post!

I'm planning on getting 2 Ackies in the next couple months and that taming path sounds like the right idea to me. Generally aren't Ackies the "easiest" monitor to care for and "tame", so to speak?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shinobi602 said:
Made a lot of sense reading it, thanks for the post!

I'm planning on getting 2 Ackies in the next couple months and that taming path sounds like the right idea to me. Generally aren't Ackies the "easiest" monitor to care for and "tame", so to speak?

I've never kept Ackies, but from my understanding the reason they are said to be the "easiest" is because they stay smaller and don't need as large of an enclosure. Husbandry is pretty much the same as other monitors and taming them is as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced