• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Monitor Taming

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I read this on another forum and got permission to use it. I thought I would post it being alot of people either have monitors or have posted about possibly getting one. I think this perfectly explains how "taming" a monitor should be handled.

"This has always been a hotly debated issue in the varanid keeping community and I figured id express my point of view....................If you want to have a monitor that is fairly easy to deal with and not the typical H3LL on wheels horror story we normally hear about, LEAVE THEM THE HECK ALONE! Here's my variation on an analogy I once read on the subject: Lets say you want to "tame" a wild squirrel or a wolf or a feral cat in the wild. You wouldn't grab the squirrel / wolf / feral cat and force handle it until it gives in and likes you. You try to get it use to you by just being around it first , getting it to tolerate your visual presence and act normally when you are within eye sight before anything else. Then eventually one day you start by tempting it closer to you with food by tossing it over to it. It probably wont happen at first (the animal will most likely just run away at first, but then at some point it will start to grab the food first and then run away to eat) but, with time, patience, and never touching it (just offering food) it will then start to eat in your presence. Eventually overtime, that wild animal might even sit on you or next to you and take food right from your tongs, again only if you are patient and if you NEVER, EVER TOUCH IT! It is the same thing with monitors. By constantly handling a monitor in the hopes that it will "tame" you're actually teaching it that you're a NEGATIVE experience and it will hate you! But by associating positive behavior with a positive reward, like food, the animal starts seeing you in a positive light. That is how you begin the "taming" process and "tame" a monitor. Remember a "tame" monitor will still not let you just pick it up out of no where (for the most part) and handling just for the fun of it is still bad, but it will not be scared of you and will actually come to you to see what’s up (food??) And nothing is cooler then having your pet varanid beg for food or beg to be let out.

P.S. Cut out the bathtub time, it's highly stressful at best, torture at worst."

Hope this clears up some things, and of course if you feel force handling works, by all means go for it, this is just my take on it.

jdpFL

I've gotten lucky with Rex. He never hides or even moves away when I put my hand in, and now I can touch him gently and he will climb onto my hand. But I only mess with him at all for feeding time, maybe that's why? He also comes up to check me out if I'm next to his enclosure. Today when he was put into his new home, he was actually reluctant to leave my hand! I think I just got a weird one...he's not typical with behavior, but eats and sheds well. Who knows?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There might very well be exceptions to the rule as well.

What are your basking temps for him?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wonder if his temperament would change with a basking spot of 140 degrees. Would you mind trying it out and seeing what happens??

jdpFL

Sure. We had it higher, new enclosure we are still adjusting. But last one was still 130 or so. Well try the 140 and let you know what happens!

jdpFL

Changed basking set up, new rocks....higher and closer to light. Temp reads 135-140. But.....since we put him in the bigger tank and made those changes, he hasn't been out much. :(
Maybe the new place stressed him? He's been out a couple times, but used to be out all day. Now he's burrowed under the new rock. Thoughts, input? Think he will get used to it and be normal again? Any other possible reason?

Put bugs in there today, had no choice since he wasn't out to eat, and I won't destroy his burrow or poke at him in there.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are a couple things that could be going on, he may have been out all the time before because the heat was too low and he had to spend more time out to get up to temp. He may just be stressed from the move and needs some time to acclimate. I would give it a couple weeks and if he is still never out, maybe try dropping the temps and see how he reacts.

jdpFL

Thanks....I hope he adjusts. I miss him! Lol. Don't handle him except for feeding time, but I like to watch him wander around. Will let you know what happens!

jdpFL

Update: out basking and exploring this morning! Yay! Substrate is about 75% topsoil, 25% playsand. Burrowing great. Stuck with screen lid for now, but foiled and sealed with tape, humidity at consistent 80-85%.
[attachment=3187]
[attachment=3188]

Oh, and I will be covering the tank on the outside on at least the sides and part of fourth.

Attachments

• IMAG0712.jpg
    IMAG0712.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0714.jpg
    IMAG0714.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

herpgirl2510

I think people also need to relize that when these monitors become full grown it is not something you hold and cuddle on your lap. My savannah wil tolerate me but does not enjoy being held. All the interaaction I can have with her is on her terms. If she is not in the mood she will not hesitate to give me a back off look and if I continue to approach her she will whip me. savannah are very reclusive creatures who are very wary of humans. This is why it is very hard to observe them in their natural enviornment.
JDPFL.. How long have you had you monitor? I think once he gets up to the proper temps you will see more typical monitor behavior. Lilo loves to go and hide in her burrow she thinks she is hidden even though the way she did it her tail and feet stick out. That is also how they thermoregulate. You have to remember in the wild they spend so much time hidden in termite mounds away from people. The fact that 99% are not cbb their natural instincts are still going to be there. The best way like stated above to bond with your savannah is by tongs.

jdpFL

If I wanted a pet to cuddle in my lap, I'd have a puppy. And, when I say a"tame"monitor, I mean occasionally able to be handled, and trusting somewhat of me. Perhaps you misunderstood. A monitor that is not active and wary of a human is ill or terrified. I have done my homework, and had monitors as a kid. ;)
Anyway, thanks for your input.

hoosier

5 Year Member
great post james. i think it should be "sticky" or whatever its called so it doesnt get lost over time. very few people understand and even fewer accept this fact.

herpgirl2510

Sorry sometimes things come across wrong I was not referring to you in the puppy post. :) That was very general statement. Read the book I suggested it will explain how savannah monitors(not all monitors) are very wary of people and are almost never seen in the wild. My savannahis always very aware of everything I do unlike my tegus who are more mellow. That is why the studies of them in the wild are so scarce it is in the Danial bennett book it is a great read. There is also pics of a guy with his puppy dog tame savannah so it is possible. This is the main source of where I get my info from. All of the monitor forums are a little too intense for me I always feel intimidated by some of the real experiened monitor keepers.

jdpFL

Lol...me too, definitely. And I've read a lot if excerpts from that book, need to get a copy. I agree that it us one if the most misunderstood and wrongly kept animals in the pet industry. Their needs are very different, from diet to temps, to handling. James is right, most don't love part the first year. Mine is still a baby, and I want to do everything right. A healthy, happy, and secure-not frightened monitor...may as you said "tolerate" handling. But they definitely don't love it like the tegu...lol. :)

Grendel

I like the original post. I have to admit I was sort of a fool when I got my Argus monitor.
First few days I wanted to hold it, watch it, have it near by, so he would get used to me, and I thought it was working because he was sitting still. Well, now I realize he was sitting still because he was petrified of me, and was probably pretending to be dead.
Since he got used to his enclosure ( high temps, and deep substrate), he no longer sits still, he is finally acting like a monitor should act. I since joined the varanus.nl forum and learned a lot there (definitely not a "cuddly" forum). I no longer "try to tame it", I think he is happier, and my fingers no longer bleed (if they want to bite you, its lightning fast, no time to react).

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jdpFL. I would try and get him out of an aquarium and into a wooden cage. It will hold temps and humidity much better.

jdpFL

Yep james. I know. I wish I'd known moving would stress him, would've just left him alone until we built the adult enclosure. Got the bigger tank and thought it would buy us a couple more months. But he didn't love the change....for sure. Next move will be permanent!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602