• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Might be getting an Albino Burmese Python

TeguNovice

I'm still debating whether or not I want to keep and breed ball pythons but at the moment, I've been looking into getting something much different. I might be coming home with a 2011 Albino Burmese Python really soon and I'm so excited! I've always wanted an albino burm and I love their personalities. I've read numerous caresheets so I think I'm ready to own a large snake :) I might get one from next month's reptile show so if I do, I'll be sure to post a lot of pics of my new little guy :D

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Sounds cool, same here though but i might be getting mines within the next week or two.

The only thing is you might want to still continue your research, things like Burms are not what i would call a care sheet animal. In all honesty i refer to care sheets as Decision Sheets,because all they really do is tell you what you will need to take care of the animal and if your ready for the challenge. The real research begins after the care sheets, you read books and join a forum gather other experiences both good and bad and learn from them.

Good luck!

Dirtydmc

Be prepared to have a snake that you can't handle alone. A 150lbs snake has the strength of a few men or more. They can be pretty tame but that's a lot of meat to handle. I've wanted one for years but for me its too much. I have ample room here for one but its a two Ann job to just move to the feeding area. Good luck!

got10

Burms get big and if you are not going to be in it for the long term , Dont get it. If cared for correctly the snake should be 10ft in three years . And a 55 gal just aint gonna cut it .
They are great snakes and the only drawback is the size and feeding them when they get beyond the pig size range . We used to go to the live market in queens and get a live goat every 60 days because it was more cost effective than buying 5 roosters a week .
We lucked out because when we decided to breed her we were able to cool her down and that cut down on her food intake and it sort of balanced itself out between the babies and keeping costs of the snake. Our last breeding project was to retic x burm (6 yrs ago). We didn't fare to well with that one there . In my overzealous attempts to be smarter than the next guy . I failed to correctly place my incubator in a safe area. and most of the eggs died due to overheating . We salvaged 6 out of 32 eggs .
be smarter then me and do burm ball crosses

Dirtydmc

got10 said:
Burms get big and if you are not going to be in it for the long term , Dont get it. If cared for correctly the snake should be 10ft in three years . And a 55 gal just aint gonna cut it .
They are great snakes and the only drawback is the size and feeding them when they get beyond the pig size range . We used to go to the live market in queens and get a live goat every 60 days because it was more cost effective than buying 5 roosters a week .
We lucked out because when we decided to breed her we were able to cool her down and that cut down on her food intake and it sort of balanced itself out between the babies and keeping costs of the snake. Our last breeding project was to retic x burm (6 yrs ago). We didn't fare to well with that one there . In my overzealous attempts to be smarter than the next guy . I failed to correctly place my incubator in a safe area. and most of the eggs died due to overheating . We salvaged 6 out of 32 eggs .

Yeah. Food. Lol! I spend almost $200 a month feeding my 17 pets. One that big would top it.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dirtydmc said:
Be prepared to have a snake that you can't handle alone. A 150lbs snake has the strength of a few men or more. They can be pretty tame but that's a lot of meat to handle. I've wanted one for years but for me its too much. I have ample room here for one but its a two Ann job to just move to the feeding area. Good luck!

That was my first thought lol.

got10 said:
We used to go to the live market in queens and get a live goat every 60 days because it was more cost effective than buying 5 roosters a week .
That is insane to me. I knew they ate pigs but not goats.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I haven't seen very many burns or retics that can't be fed a rabbit or two every 10 days. How big was this burm you were feeding goats??

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Even if it was approximately 20 feet small pigs or large rabbits could still hold it if you fed it frequently enough.... In the OP's case what I would consider is size. I don't know your experience level but if you are debating a ball vs. a burm you probly should go with the ball. That's 4-5 feet compared to 15-20 feet. A burm needs an enclosure of at least 8 by 4 by 4 as an adult, needs large and frequent meals, and if handled properly should never be taken out without at least 2 people there. I say go with balls....

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TegusRawsome80 said:
Even if it was approximately 20 feet small pigs or large rabbits could still hold it if you fed it frequently enough.... In the OP's case what I would consider is size. I don't know your experience level but if you are debating a ball vs. a burm you probly should go with the ball. That's 4-5 feet compared to 15-20 feet. A burm needs an enclosure of at least 8 by 4 by 4 as an adult, needs large and frequent meals, and if handled properly should never be taken out without at least 2 people there. I say go with balls....

Agreed, one of if not the worlds largest Burm at 23' is fed small pigs and rabbits.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Yeah you can either feed massive animals once in a while or feed smaller animals more frequently. I still thinking owning a 23 foot burm would be a bit impractical for most keepers but not so much where you'd have to buy it goats.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Reading this thread i see 8X4's and Goats and 20ft snake, how many of you actual own burms or are you just reading care sheets and horror stories -__-, no offence just wondering.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't own a burm, I'm stating facts from friends that own them. The 23' burm is at Prehistoric Pets in So Cal and I talked to the owner about her and what they feed her. I'm pretty sure she is the largest snake in the world, either by length or weight.

I have been contemplating getting a Retic, but don't have anybody to help he handle one so it probably won't happen. My wife won't touch any of my herps and my kids are too young. :(

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
That's a retic at prehistoric.... I have several close friends who keep burms and a burm that surpasses 14 feet(many do) is going to need more than a 6 foot cage...

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Yeah it's chill. The point still stands, large snakes can be fed smaller prey items. She's arguably the largest snake in the world although I have my doubts. I'm pretty sure there was a larger one in a country in Asia(I forget which), that some TV show measured.

wallace&mick

if you need any advice on the burmese python don't hesitate to ask i keep 2 and they are the most amazing pets in the world hopefully getting a retic by the end of the year
got10 said:

just about your post i have a 2 year old male albino burmese which is nearly 10.5ft some grow super fast and some grow super slow

i just read this full forum on the burmese python where would i find a 20ft burm please tell me as i would like to see it for myself retics are one thing like twinkie from prehistoric pets albino retic i keep 2 burmese 1 that is 2 years old and nearly 10.5feet and the other same age (brother an sister) who is only around 8ft they o get big but i handle both burms by myself with no problem at all maybe that's because i am a well built guy who is confident with the big snake i have each of my burms in 9x3x3 cages as i like some extra space 8x4x4 is minimum they need the proper heat and humidity and they also need alot of handling to keep them tame on the feeing note you can feed large goats but they last one month at least i feed mine 1 large rabbit fortnightly and once there bigger will be one 2 rabbits a fortnight if you have any questions needing answer and you don't want people who sit on caresheet adn horror storys no offense send me a message i'll answer anything you need by my 13 years snake and lizards keeping expierences

Dirtydmc

I'd love to have a big snake. I've held big Burms before. They were all super gentle. My woman will skin me if I bring home any more pets. Plus, they are too big for us. I want something my daughters can handle. Supervised.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980