• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

MacGyver's Official Thread (Pics, Vids & Taming Stories)

nbmiller59

I have read and watched all this and it makes me want my b&w even more! He is crazy cute and amazing only ? I have is how do u deal with his messes he leaves behind ?

Scott Hogge

nbmiller59 said:
I have read and watched all this and it makes me want my b&w even more! He is crazy cute and amazing only ? I have is how do u deal with his messes he leaves behind ?

Right now I have a bunch of paper towels all around the house covering up all tegu turds on the rugs that I found when I got back so that they dont get stepped on and rubbed in. I have a mini steam cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3AA2S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00) arriving today so I can finally give them a good wash.

So far I have yet to get him to poop in his bath. I don't think bath pooping is gonna work though because he eats all day long and poops multiple times, and I can't give him that many baths. I'm thinking about getting some kind of heated & filtered/drainable pond so he can climb in himself and learn to go there.

Scott Hogge

That mini steam cleaner (BISSELL Spotbot Pet Handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner with Deep Reach Technology) arrived yesterday and is working out great. It is automated, so u just set it over the spot, press, a button, walk away, and a few minutes later it beeps to let you know its done.

All my tegu turd spots are all cleaned up now. I'm still trying to get Mac to go during his bath, but he is still refusing. I've been giving him a couple baths a day trying to line one up with one of his turds (he goes about 3 times a day on avg because he eats constantly throughout the day)

This will work for now though. I just let the turd dry so I don't end up pushing it deeper into the carpet... wait a few hours... pick it up with a paper towel, and then drop that bissel on the spot.

Scott Hogge

This was Mac's lunch today: 15 superworms and 2 fuzzies. I hand fed him most of them.

He doesn't have any problems with food agression because he spends so much time with us and is like part of the family.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NLHISrqccM[/video]

nbmiller59

That's great that it works but stinks how he won't go at bathtime. What stinks more is i don't think i will be able to get my tegu for awile cuz of it getting to be fall.

Logie_Bear

How warm is the water when you put him in the bath? Ezzy only likes to poo in the tub when its really warm water. I turn it on and put my feet in the tub to make sure its really warm but not *hot* and she's pood in there everyday since I got her. :)

Scott Hogge

Logie_Bear said:
How warm is the water when you put him in the bath? Ezzy only likes to poo in the tub when its really warm water. I turn it on and put my feet in the tub to make sure its really warm but not *hot* and she's pood in there everyday since I got her. :)

The bath starts off at about 100degrees but cools to 90ish after a few minutes. Today I took him out of the couch cousions and into the bath right away, before he had time to bask at all and get active. He's calmer today (not trying to constantly jump out), but its been about 15 minutes and still no turds =/

Logie_Bear

If he has a fave treat try giving him one after every successful bathtime poop. That's how we potty trained our iguana back in the day. (who LOVED strawberries

HeatherN

i think im in love with mac! im moving to my new apartment, and id like to have the same freeroaming setup as you do. any tips on tegu-proofing? do you just leave his food out in a bowl? howd did you get him to come to his name? i hope Tarot can calm down like that. hes a nervous nellie, but i have a feeling if he has some time in an environment like mac's, hed learn, albeit slowly. do you know how long he is now? :D

Scott Hogge

When he gets a little taller I am planning on using a bowl for his food, but right now im just setting it on paper towels/cardboard on the floor so that he can see the actual food at eye level from a distance.

As for tegu proofing... lots and lots of duct tape over any places he could crawl into... a few layers thick. The trickest spots are going to be in the kitchen around the appliances. Crawl around every wall in the apartment and seal anything big enough for a cricket to crawl through. Open up any closets or cabinets and check those also, sometimes they have weird openings into the wall or under something that you would not expect to find there.

Once you finish sealing all death traps around the perimeter, start blocking off things that are not the end of the world if he gets in/under, but make it difficult to get to him. You can do this phase as you go along if you notice something being a problem. It was impossible to get Mac out from under the couch without scaring him, so I just taped some cardboard to the bottom of the couch & the floor to seal off the area under it. Once he is big enough that he can't fit under the couch I will remove that. I also installed plastic door sweeps on all closet doors so I could be sure he didn't slide under the door. All the closets are also safe, but it is just easier to find him if you can rule out more places to look quickly. The more things you block off, the less time you spend freaking out trying to find him & asking yourself if you really sealed everything off completely. I can pretty much always find Mac in under 2 minutes even though he roams the entire downstairs floor of our place.

So the short answer:
1) seal any holes in walls, cabinets, closets & around kitchen appliances.
2) block off places that make it hard to look for/get him, such as under couches & behind bookcases

I also put plastic outlet plugs in all open electric outlets, especially ones on the floor in power-strips... they get warm and tegus like to lay over them

MacGyver is about 18 inches now and getting more red every shed. We talk to him a lot so I think he recognizes our voices.

nbmiller59

I just ordered a extreme male from bobby he had left over cuz some one backed out. He said its 4 weeks old. Im paying today ships Monday should get it Tuesday. Hope every thing goes as well for me as they did for you. :)

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
You are getting an extreme from Bobby on tuesday? And you just ordered it? Why,then,is everyone else waiting for tegus that deposits were made on months ago? I don't get it...

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

larissalurid

BatGirl1 said:
You are getting an extreme from Bobby on tuesday? And you just ordered it? Why,then,is everyone else waiting for tegus that deposits were made on months ago? I don't get it...

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

I don't see exactly how this person would get theirs before the people waiting, but I do know that many people pull out of their orders leaving extras available. I was originally going to get a reg argentine, but last minute i asked him if any extremes were available (although i dont count into the ppl who just ask and get one, mine was reserved almost a year ahead of time) and he said yes and how people do things like how one person ordered 5 then all the sudden decided they didnt want any. So i can see how more are available, just not how this person would get theirs before those on the waiting list.

Scott Hogge

Its a scam. He doesn't bother to keep real ordered lists anyway because he is only going to ship 5% of orders placed. He writes orders on sticky notes or something and puts them up on his wall of victims. One of the first times I called him he couldn't even find my order.

I got MacGyver from Ty... whole thing took 4 days. Damn Bobby Hill for being such a scamartist that the discussion has overflowed into MacGyver's official thread! Damn him to hell!

MacGyver's late breakfast today:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rD-CooQvw&feature=plcp[/video]

Screwed that one up and posted the wrong video.. board post-combining logic won't let me edit it because the first post is older than 10 minutes old now =/

Correct breakfast video:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztTXVc5fac[/video]

nbmiller59

Some or backed out of two extremes and in getting th male. He said it is 4 weeks old. Should ship Monday but if u guys are right ima shoot my self...$350...:( i guess i will just have to weight an see. I asked for b&w but all he has left are the 2 extremes and some all Americans. He said i can pre order for next year or if i want one of the left overs...if i get ripped off...:mad: sorry i brought this on your amazing tegus page...

Scott Hogge

I have some good news and some bad news with respect to MacGyver's intelligence & pooping.

The good news is, he knows I don't want him pooping on the rugs or on the couch.

The bad news is, he knows I don't want him pooping on the rugs or on the couch.

He has the bath pooping down finally, but he is now using his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th poops of the day as a negotiating tactic against me.

Last night he pooped on me, and on the couch, 3 times within an hour to try get me to leave him alone and let him sleep. He would crawl under a cushion, and a few minutes later I would take him out for petting. 5 minutes later he would walk away, and right before going back into the couch, he would let a little turd out, just like a little 'byebye *******' statement.

Today, a few hours after he had already pooped in his bath, he was walking around on the rug. I walked over to him, he looked up with with sneaky look in his eye, and proceeded to try and poop faster than I could move in. I got him up before anything came out and put him in the bath for a second time. He then waited about 10 minutes before finally letting something out.

He is super smart and I'm convinced he knows what he is doing.

His intelligence has made some other training very easy though. He used to go pick any random thing in the house to sleep under during the day. I wanted him to stay close and sleep somewhere I could easily see him. For the past couple weeks, any time he has crawled under random things to sleep, I have taken him out and put him back under his basking light... except when he sleeps under the ottoman by my couch. He has completely learned that even though its an open space I could easily pick him up if i wanted to, I won't. Now he kind of rubs it in my face thats its a human free zone. Sometimes when he doesn't want to be picked up, he will quickly walk under the ottoman, turn around, and stick his head and half his body out to watch & tease me.

MacGyver

aambumann said:
Hi Mac , your package has been shipped and lunch is on the way, bon appétit.

Best way to follow a food post is with a Poop video!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmXKMndZIuk&feature=plcp[/video]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam