• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

im new

G

When they come out of hibernation they grow like weeds so start work on your big box 6x3x3 min ... soon after receiving your Tegu ..

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Males get an average of 4', females an average of 3' with either being capable of breaking that average.

I suggest an 8' (minimum) length for males and 6' (minimum) length for females. Thus 8' x 4' for males and 6' x 3' females, or larger for either.

They generally spend their time on the ground but are capable climbers. My Adult male has a slightly raised platform he uses a lot and a shelf he uses sometimes. When they are young they will eagerly jump and climb while exploring and as adults they will often climb on/over obstacles such as a couch, bed, fence, etc.

They are fast growing animals reaching adult size at around 2.5 years old. They are born mid to late summer and grow fast through fall... Their second summer they put on length at an impressive rate. Mine grew as much as 1.5" per week at his peek... Their third summer they fill out. My male doubled in weight from 5~6 lbs to 10~12 lbs. At 50" and 12 lbs he was quite robust, but in no way obese.

I feed mine a variety of foods mostly made up of: mice, chicks, ground turkey, liver, fish, chicken gizzards and seafood (in order of frequency used). Most of his foods are found at around $3 per lb. In the height of summer he (as an adult) eats �¼ lb of food per day, with slightly smaller meals every other day in spring and fall and in winter only eating a couple ounces of food a couple times a week. This comes out to around $10 per week in peek summer and around $1 in winter.

The price of the Tegu ($150) and the enclosure ($varies) are one time expenditures so should be considered separately, yet just as importantly.

While I feel proper attention is extremely important in taming a Tegu, I feel the size of the enclosure is just as important. Too small of an enclosure will put a constant stress on the animal that no amount of attention will be able to overcome.

Tegus are born in mid to late summer and hatchlings become available around August. So you have started inquiring at a perfect time. You can spend the next few months learning about them and their needs, then the next couple months preparing for your Tegu, then the end of this year to enjoy your Tegu. Then this time next year you�ll be planning and building his next enclosure. Because by the end of their second summer (15 months old, a little less than 2 years from now) he will need to be in his full size adult enclosure.

Do note any reference to mine was in reference to one that was cooled each winter. If you keep him at full heat/light, his metabolism will slow less allowing him to grow faster. This will not make your Tegu�s adult size any bigger, but will make him achieve that size sooner.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yup, that's what happens when I have a day off in the middle of the week :p

rocket

do you guys got your cage done by someone or you guys made it your self? i will like to build one but i feel like it wont come out right.

G

They arn`t cheep to build ether ..
Many members find theirs second hand and get fantastic deals ..
Make sure it`s big enough 6ftx3ftx3ft and don`t buy junk ..

G

craigslist has always been my best friend for these. i got my tegus tank off craigslist for $50 its 90'' x 36'' x 27''. you could also try posting ads to see if there is anyone locally who would build you a tank, just be careful. another idea i've seen is people taking coffee tables, entertainment centers or even dressers and converting them into enclosures.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is difficult and (can be) expensive to build a "furniture quality" enclosure, but your first build doesn't need to be that fancy. You can easily build a hatchling/yearling sized enclosure out of a 2x2 frame covered in plywood, sealed on the inside with Drylock for $50~75.

If possible get a friend or relative to volunteer to help out.

G

Your Tegus should be of the same size if housed together.
Separate enclosures should be provided tho many house their Tegus together problems do arise .
No Tegu should be housed with another that is significantly larger than the other..

At least that is my opinion ..

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
rocket said:
Can I house two regular regardless of the size they are?

Hatchlings can be kept together without concern and it is fairly common for similar sized Tegus to get along fine, but there is always a risk at any time they will have a disagreement and need to be seperated.

Personally, if I kept more than one, I would want seperate enclosures for each Tegu that is of adequate size, then have a "communal" area they can be put in to socialize.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980