• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

im new

rocket

hello i am trying to find out some more about this pet. so far i know how big does it get, i know what it eats and i know what people get them self into when it huge. my question to you guys is, how much attention do you have to pay to these animals and also how much time do they need to be with the light on?

G

Lots of attention if you want it to be tame and when it grows you want it to be tame .. They need twelve hours of light a day from a U.V. bulb during the summer a little less in the fall none in the winter if hibernating ... They are quite an undertaking but it is very do-able with some devotion ..They hibernate so you won`t have to deal with them much in the winter but when active they eat a lot and demand daily attention..

G

If hes tame basically whenever he is up he is game .. They will let you know if they want to be left alone .. Even a small one is pretty strong ...

slideaboot

5 Year Member
My tegu will literally scratch on the glass when he wants out. He'll even go back IN his cage when he's had enough attention or free-roaming--it's incredible, really.

As far as attention goes, I really gave my tegu a LOT of attention when I first got him. I handled him EVERY DAY, let him hang out on my lap for as long as possible while I read, surfed the net, or watched TV--these extended, frequent interactions were VITAL.

I was able to spend a lot of time with him at first because I'm a teacher and the end of my summers are usually pretty open, schedule-wise. But, now that school's in session, sometimes I don't get to even SEE my tegu for a couple days in a row. However, when I do have the chance to interact with him, he's still as tame as can be--I've given the poor thing enemas and force-fed it and it STILL is tame. The reason, I believe, is because I spent so much time with him during those vital, younger days of his life. I interact with him whenever I can, but it's never more than a couple days a week and our relationship is fine--I never, ever feel threatened by him.

As far as your dog, it'll probably be your dog that has the issue with the tegu, not the other way around (if there's going to be an issue at all). My tegu could care less about my 75 pound lab mix, even when the dog's barking her head off at the tegu. They're such a laid-back reptile--they make GREAT pets if you have the time and space.

rocket

i heard the grow about 4 feet? is that true? i will like to see a picture of a full grown tegu to see how big they get.

G

Clock on Varnyard Tegus at the bottom of the home page also on Youtube. They get four foot but that would be a big one .. That being said there is nothing small about an adult Tegu . Tegus need a BIG box and a bigger one outside if you want them to do well ...

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site!

Every animal takes work and requires A Lot of attention especially in the beginning when you're dealing with bonding, taming and training. Once you get pass that (when they're bigger) you can be a little more hands off and let them do their own thing while exploring outside their enclosure and what not.

Light requirements you can do 12 on 12 off but some people also go by the seasons. We use timers and or dimmers to mimic the longer, shorter days (timer) or the rising and setting of the sun (dimmers).

They're not a hands off, put'em in a cage and feed'em every once in a while kind of animal like some others.

Depending on the size of the tegu you get in the beginning you'll have to worry more about your dog hurting the tegu. Depending on the breed, how well you know your dog and its training you may have to keep them separated at all times.

How much they eat also depends on the size of the tegu and what you're feeding it when the time comes. There's no exact amount that any tegu will eat at any giving time. Obviously a smaller tegu will eat less, maybe a teaspoon to a tablespoon of food in one setting.

Size also varies with the kind of tegu you get, some go grow longer than 4ft.

These are all basic questions you're asking and I'm not convinced you know as much as you think you know. You have a lot of home work and researching to do before you get your first Gu and here are a few places to start.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20</a><!-- l -->
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353</a><!-- l -->
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21</a><!-- l -->

rocket

during the winter, do they need to be kept warm? i live in los angeles, so being cold here is like summer, but there is days where it get cold in L.A.

Chuey

5 Year Member
They're the craziest animals and intelligent! I don't know if any other Tegu does this. But sometimes when he gets bored he will jump up on our bed using his tail to push off and his claws to climb. Once he gets up on our bed, he will begin to chill out and stare at us.

If he catches us staring at him and thinks he has a shot at getting a hand massage he will stretch out his fingers on his front feet, once we start giving him a hand rub he proceeds to fall asleep soundly! Its just nuts, don't know any other type of reptile that seems to enjoy hand massages, lmao.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's another thread that will answer that question;

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=21&t=826</a><!-- l -->

G

I have a regular black and white that I purchased from Bobby last year . The price shipped to my door was 150.00 .. I would guess a regular black and white would be all the Tegu that you need ...

rocket

How much $ do u spend on them on daily basis, like food or other supplies, how much am I looking to be spending every month?

G

They need to have mice at least one a week and when full grown they can go through some food . They hibernate so they don`t need to be fed in the winter but if you have to buy food for your Tegu plan on a dollar a day .. You need substrate , MV bulb and timer, calcium , ceramic heater and thermostat .. A big box[ Rubbermaid ]to put him in .

rocket

awesome, so in total you guys spend about $500 on this little creature correct? man u guys are soo awesome, i really appriciate u guys helping me out with the info. how fast do they grow?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980