• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Iguana owners, help me out. Or anyone for that matter

nessanicolle

Hey guys, I just got a new iguana at the expo and when he's (I had him sexed today) in his enclosure hes calm until i come near it and he freaks out. Then when I pick him up (after a chase) he's as calm and sweet as can be, he just sits in my hand and lets me rub his head while closing his eyes. He even ate from my hand a few times. He's so cute but vicious when hes in the cage, tail whiping, gaping, and nodding. No biting but it's not if but when. What should I do to make him more comfortable with me around him? Give it time? Is it okay to gram him when he's thrashing around so he'll calm down? Any advice?

-much thanks

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Give him time to settle in to his new home. You do realize you have a lizard that can potentially reach 6' if provided and cared for properly. How do you have him setup?

nessanicolle

I do realize the size and power it will have eventually. right now it's in the 55 gallon (I know, shame on me) but as mentioned before i am getting new enclosures. I have him in the 55 with a few natural wood branches, a fake plant, a big water bowl, his food bowls, a 150 watt heat basking bulb and a 10.0 uvb 18" tube light

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All he needs is some space while settling in. Depending on whenever it is you got him, I'd recommend about 2 weeks of zero handling and reduced encounters. When i first got Buzz I only use to go in for spot cleans, didn't handle him for a couple weeks then started regular handling until he tamed down. Now hes about 4ft maybe less, and weighs 14-15lbs, hes as sweet as a dog.

What type of iggy did you get? And on a side note--

James - did you decide on a rhino/water monitor/cayman/cuban yet?

Glad to see youve joined us iguana keepers nessan!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Was he tame before and is going through an adjustment period? Glass enclosures are really stressful. It can take a long time to tame an ig- be prepared for a lot of consistency and backwards steps.

nessanicolle

Yeah like i said, I'm getting him a fairly large enclosure (screen of course). I got him at the expo and in the cage he was so calm and i held him before i got him, also calm but i think ite was the drive home.. First of all the put him in a giant green net and then he was sitting in that for another hour, also bringing it by the local exotic pet shop to have it sexed and to find out how old it was. THEN getting into the tank. I mean he's gorgeous, he's bright green with turquoise on his face and the bumps on the back of his neck and it follows with the brown striping on his body. And does really well in his enclosure now (right now he's basking and loving it) when my hands arent inside but as soon as i put my hand in he freaks out and thrashes inside. I mean yesetrday he even ate out of my hand.. He's a few pictures:) [attachment=4673][attachment=4674][attachment=4675]

Attachments

• ig1.jpg
    ig1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 13
  • ig2.jpg
    ig2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 13
  • ig3.jpg
    ig3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
One of the finest looking green igs I've seen. What are the dimensions of his new enclosure?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A screen enclosure will not work unless you plan on keeping the entire room humid.

How exactly did the pet shop determine his age?

nessanicolle

Then what type of enclosure do you suggest?

And they had owned multiple iguanas from birth to adults. They even had a fully grown male iguana names spike that was their mascot and he roamed around. So I knew they were good with them. She told me that by the size of him and his femoral plugs/pores that he was a male more than likely

Could I use a screen cage if i had a humidifier in the room?

jwyo

I find that alot of animals at some expos and even pet stores are kept at sometimes lower temps. so the animal is not as "active", thus more handleable. Then you get them home get some heat on them and they act "normal". I have a sav. monitor that was this way. Sold as tame, and sure acted it, until he hit that 130 degree basking spot at home.

nessanicolle

well I just had to move his tank around my room and the next 30 minutes after were hell.. thrashing around the tank when i came anywhere near it and he got super dark colored. I know that means that hes either angry or stresses. i couldn't help but hold him and calm him down. sure enough he calmed down and i set him back in his basking spot and now he's content.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I kept my ig close to where I sit. For a while he was in the office where I could be on the computer and talk to him. Now he lives outisde in a big enclosure and I visit him daily.

What seems to work is getting just before the point of freaking out. Watch his eyes and expression for signs of stress. Sit close to the enclosure and talk to him. How does he react? Is he lazy eyed or freaked out looking? They freeze when afraid at first, so eye expression is a good indicator of comfort. Make small adjustments, but not enough to make him nervous. get closer to the cage, open the door, put your hand inside. Do these in really small steps.

nessanicolle

Usually I can sit in front of the cage and he'll have that freaked out look but is still in a calm stance and his dewlap isn't extended and same when i open the screen top but then it comes to me putting my hands in he gets onto his legs and his dewlap extends then lashes.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Then right now I would just sit close to his cage and not look at him. Sit and read out loud for 5 min a couple of times a day. Don't make eye contact. When you feed him, don't make eye contact. Do this for a week and see if he relaxes bit.

This is an old photo of my Jackie
KingJackie.jpg

When I first got him

Jackie2-3-11.jpg

RobK.

laurarfl said:
Then right now I would just sit close to his cage and not look at him. Sit and read out loud for 5 min a couple of times a day. Don't make eye contact. When you feed him, don't make eye contact. Do this for a week and see if he relaxes bit.

This is an old photo of my Jackie
KingJackie.jpg

When I first got him

Jackie2-3-11.jpg

nice job , what a deference .

Logie_Bear

See if you can't figure out his favorite treat/food. For ours it was strawberries and the occasional hibiscus flower. The key to taming him (and eventually potty-training) was thru his stomach. :p

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're right, Logie Bear, the key is through the stomach. :) Hibiscus flowers worked well for me, too. He only likes the red ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980