• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hyperactive/persistent tegu?

Chris & Stitches

Yeah I was at a pet store in Chatham a few years ago and they had a 2 foot savannah monitor for $40 and he looked great, so I asked about the price tag and the guy told me the lizard had bit anybody that ever reached in and touched him.he told me if I’d like to let him try me to feel free, I’m a mechanic so my hands are a little more seasoned than the average person.i wouldn’t say it was painful but it was like firmly grabbing your hand meat with pliers.that experience really knocked the “fear” or anxiety of getting bit right out of me.
Surprisingly my Burmese python was not only one but the two most painful bites and she was only around 10 feet, her head was about as big as a pudding cup and boy was there blood....

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
There's lots of info on this forum about this subject.

It sounds like div129 was only doing what we all do while feeding our Tegus, and got bit. They are not considered a predictable animal - they are considered high maintenance. Minimizing the damages is on us. The only tip I can think of for your situation div129, is that you misread the body language. When he charged toward the front of the tank, heading toward the food, he's famished and he's going to devour it before it's not available anymore. You're dealing with his instincts. You're also dealing with their eyesight. Not their best feature. After 2 years of feeding my buddies, they still bite the dish and miss what they're aiming for. So sorry you got bit - sounds like a typical accident to me.

Still, some people choose to feed with their hands and with live prey.
Have at it. To be blunt (which is not my desire), I consider it fairly ludicrous.

Chris - You're trying to keep the animals' wild instincts in a captive situation. Why? For the Tegu? It's not fair to the animal. Telling new members to feed with your hands and fingers is irresponsible. Easily misinterpreted - because your Tegu still fits in your hoodie. Most of the members here try to prepare new people with practical expectations. It's all we can do.

Chris & Stitches

It sounds like div129 was only doing what we all do while feeding our Tegus, and got bit. They are not considered a predictable animal - they are considered high maintenance. Minimizing the damages is on us. The only tip I can think of for your situation div129, is that you misread the body language. When he charged toward the front of the tank, heading toward the food, he's famished and he's going to devour it before it's not available anymore. You're dealing with his instincts. You're also dealing with their eyesight. Not their best feature. After 2 years of feeding my buddies, they still bite the dish and miss what they're aiming for. So sorry you got bit - sounds like a typical accident to me.

Have at it. To be blunt (which is not my desire), I consider it fairly ludicrous.

Chris - You're trying to keep the animals' wild instincts in a captive situation. Why? For the Tegu? It's not fair to the animal. Telling new members to feed with your hands and fingers is irresponsible. Easily misinterpreted - because your Tegu still fits in your hoodie. Most of the members here try to prepare new people with practical expectations. It's all we can do.
I agree and am not encouraging hand feeding at all, just noting that I do it knowing it could end badly but it has not yet.just for the info to be out there.i personally think the animals are smarter than “instinct only” and that’s why if yours rarely get the chance to bite you due to your carefulness, they will make an accident when you make an accident and get too close..give them every opportunity to bite you, and if they’re smart they will come to realize you aren’t the food no matter how hungry they are.if they operate on instinct only you would be bit every time.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I agree and am not encouraging hand feeding at all, just noting that I do it knowing it could end badly but it has not yet.just for the info to be out there.i personally think the animals are smarter than “instinct only” and that’s why if yours rarely get the chance to bite you due to your carefulness, they will make an accident when you make an accident and get too close..give them every opportunity to bite you, and if they’re smart they will come to realize you aren’t the food no matter how hungry they are.if they operate on instinct only you would be bit every time.

That's just simply not how it works. I'm close to my Tegus all the time - like today when I was pestering my 4 ft 3 yr old male - moving him by his tail, scrunching his face, rubbing under his neck, massaging his head and stomach while he basked, wiping his mouth after his messy ground turkey, picking him up and holding him....I could go on, but I'm afraid you would still try to deflect.

Never said they were "only" instinct based. But - you don't give a stallion a chance to kick your head in with the hopes that one day he decides it's getting him uh...nowhere? Actually, he'll decide that if he kicks you - maybe you'll go away, which is what he wants. Successful move on his part. Instead, you finesse him and stand tough when you have to, showing him respect. Your theory doesn't hold up. Why do you think that monitor you encountered just bites at everything he sees? Because someone took the time to tame and subdue him? Nope.

I am not opposed to some of the ways people feed live prey on this forum, because they sound very experienced and controlled with it. Feeding them with your fingers, and telling new Tegu owners about how easy it is just seems reckless.
It's contrary to everything I've learned from the members here that have been here much longer than me. And, they were there for me when I accidentally got bit very badly after months of feeding him by hand. Scars are still there....memory of the pain is still pretty vibrant too. There wasn't a sense of pliers on the meatier section of my palm....it was pounds of pressure from a vice grip with sharp teeth - and it isn't a nothing that I'm now desensitized to. I hope to hell, it never happens again.

He didn't mean to do it, but he purposely over-shot his aim (he was not going to miss this opportunity) and took in my thumb with the lunge at the "thawed" mouse. He didn't let go. I had to pry his jaw off with my left hand. 100% my fault. I should have never fed him by hand. Ever.

div129

I agree that its more of an accidental bite, since he missed the food and went for my finger, usually the food doesnt move but that day it seemed alive so he decided to shake it. Once he realized its my hand he lets it go and went for the food. The bite is weirdly the most mild bite ive had, although my bts hurts even less. Everyone who witnessed the bite was like “omg your finger is bleeding” etc as it looked like it hurts a lot. But really didnt. getting bitten a macaw Hurts more. And im used to that so thank goodness i didnt flinch like what i did when my tortoise missed the food (pulled my skin off a bit). Ive also experienced an “untamed” adult iguana since ive rescued him from a friend that couldnt care for him anymore (unpleasant biting and tail whipping). Ill be more carefull when hes in feeding mode then. Hes in flighty mode which i know is normal for his age. He happily climbs up my hand asking to be brought to the tegu proofed room, but the second hes there. He runs as far away as he can from me. Oh well, hope this phase will end soon. At least hes easier to tame than my iguanao_O. (Not looking forward to getting bitten when his full adult though)

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
It's incredible how individual they are. Speaks to their intelligence. Have you been bit by the iguana?

I've heard about Macaw bites.....those aren't usually accidental are they?

div129

It's incredible how individual they are. Speaks to their intelligence. Have you been bit by the iguana?

I've heard about Macaw bites.....those aren't usually accidental are they?
The iguana have never bit me, although someone who helps around with the animals here have. Lots of blood dripping, didn't need stitches though. He was opening the iguana’s cage to feed it, lunged at him. Since ive had the macaw for years, Its easy to see her body language, although my friends who come over dont know. They reach their hand and when i see the bird before biting them i usually put my hand in between. Im not really bothered by the bite, but i dont think my visitors would like it. Little blood usually but the bite leaves a big bruise. My macaw is really lovey dovey when it comes to me but strangers are a nono.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602