• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hyperactive/persistent tegu?

div129

Hey everyone,
So im a new tegu owner and im still not sure if everything is normal. My gu (haku) arrived almost a week ago now. I know people say to not hold their tegu for a week or so but my tegu just climbed on my hand. Hes about 2 feet so from what i know going through what people call ‘guberty’? He loves when you arrive at the cage and never showed aggression, other then when you pick him up. Its a 50/50 sometimes he is just chill. And sometimes he goes crazy, when he does this i let him run through my hands and he will eventually chill (Usually when im putting him back into the cage). He (like I said in my last thread) Paces his cage a lot, cool side goes down to the 75 and hot spot 100 or so. His routine this past week is:
12-1/2PM wake up and warm up. Once he warms up he begs for food, licking the glass. After hes done eating he goes back to basking, a few hours later he starts pacing and scratching the glass, when i open the cage he goes up to my hand and i head to the room he can safely roam in (an empty bedroom + bathroom) he explores for an hour or two before i put him back into the cage.
Now ill go to my question:
1. Is it normal for a tegu to roam a room for 2 whole hours non stop? Or is he uncomfortable? He isnt looking for a place to hide or anything he just walks around aimlessly
2. He loves this one closet door and two days ago he went in and found a warm thick blanket and for a second i thought i lost him. The next days when i let him out he consistently tries to open that door or paces it (the other closet door with a different compartment is open where i have prepared a blanket) he is the smartest lizard ive ever had. He walks up the wall next to it and pry the doors open with his arm and head). Today i give in and let him open that door, though when he sees that ive moved the blanket he looks confused, i put in a towel so he can relax and he seems content though, not as content as before. Do your tegus love soft thick blankets? And are they suppose to be as persistent as mine in getting one? And im in the process of buying him a pet bed since ive seen that he loves blankies.

rantology

Doesn't sound terribly unusual. Strongly recommend getting yourself a temperature gun, try to bump your basking spot up to ~115 degrees (hatchlings are okay at 105-110, but closer to adults you want 115-120- at 2 feet, you want to try for 110-115). As long as enclosure perimeters (heat/humidity) are adequate there shouldn't be anything to worry about. And don't worry about socializing with him, the more the better as long as it's within reason and you're reading the animal's body language - the goal is a positive bond.

div129

Doesn't sound terribly unusual. Strongly recommend getting yourself a temperature gun, try to bump your basking spot up to ~115 degrees (hatchlings are okay at 105-110, but closer to adults you want 115-120- at 2 feet, you want to try for 110-115). As long as enclosure perimeters (heat/humidity) are adequate there shouldn't be anything to worry about. And don't worry about socializing with him, the more the better as long as it's within reason and you're reading the animal's body language - the goal is a positive bond.
Okay ill try to make it a bit warmer

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah the behavior sounds normal. Maybe with a heat spot he'd chill out somewhere. They certainly get to have a mind of their own. it's cute.

bocacash

5 Year Member
Sounds like a HAPPY boy too me ! And smart, generally Tegu's are considered the most inquisitive and intelligent of lizards. You'll find he will learn lot's of things...IF he want's to !

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
If he's 2 ft, then he's really headed toward the adult age, and will be looking for that nice hot spot of 110-115 degrees. That searching he's doing isn't really aimless. They love to explore and get into things and he's possibly needing that heat. Mine will walk around my kitchen, but always return to the bask spot to rejuvenate and process food if I've given it to them.

Both of mine love a good romp with a towel or blanket. (Try an empty shipping box too) Also - it sounds like Haku has landed on a new planet and is eager to figure out what he can do....and not do. I've never heard anybody say don't hold them for a week.... what might be heard is "let them come to you, and don't force anything". Each animal is different. If he's climbing your leg, and has possibly been well-treated by a human before, he will most likely be looking for you pick him up. Most owners pee their pants when their Tegu decides it's time to crawl up that arm. It's as good as a humans' first word.

If he's a he, and 2 ft - then he's also in puberty as we speak. Just expect the unexpected.

Godzilla Earth

if he's a little more calm, try just grabbing him confedently. this will show you are not scared of him and if you hold him for a bit, he'll eventually calm down. This has worked for my snake and crestie so it might work for you to

Chris & Stitches

my b/w is similar but has never really freaked out or showed any true fear of me.but he will do as you said and walk around a lot and persistently go back to where he’s not allowed.well this morning we were on the couch in the living room(just me and stitches) everyone else asleep in the house he ran and jumped off the couch and hit the floor running on his back legs down the hallway and makes a left into my bedroom before I can scream WTF and jump off the couch, so I just walked to my room and he was trying to climb the leg of my bed and just turned his head back and looked at me.i set him on the bed and he went and curled up with my girlfriend.today is the first day in over a week that I let him out of his bed tote onto the couch.ive been letting him crawl directly onto my bed with her every morning and he wasn’t happy I broke the schedule.he knows where we sleep o_O

div129

my b/w is similar but has never really freaked out or showed any true fear of me.but he will do as you said and walk around a lot and persistently go back to where he’s not allowed.well this morning we were on the couch in the living room(just me and stitches) everyone else asleep in the house he ran and jumped off the couch and hit the floor running on his back legs down the hallway and makes a left into my bedroom before I can scream WTF and jump off the couch, so I just walked to my room and he was trying to climb the leg of my bed and just turned his head back and looked at me.i set him on the bed and he went and curled up with my girlfriend.today is the first day in over a week that I let him out of his bed tote onto the couch.ive been letting him crawl directly onto my bed with her every morning and he wasn’t happy I broke the schedule.he knows where we sleep o_O
I tried not letting him out for a day so he can be used to not ALWAYS being out and he HATES it. Keeps hitting the glass door its kinda scary. Looks like hes gonna break the glass or something.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Both of my tegus did that kind of splat on the front glass of their enclosure prior to the puberty year (so under a year old). They are now used to the routine, and don't bother with it anymore. As Walter1 says....."you're in charge". It reminds me of puppies.
They will rule your every waking moment unless you lay down the law. Well, actually my 2 (4 yr old) Jack Russells still try to bend my life to their advantage every day. They're def not puppies.

Lots of times they succeed, and a new game is developed. We have been playing hide and seek every day for months now.

Chris & Stitches

Stitches will start misbehaving too if I don’t let him out.he has made me nervous of the glass breaking also but it would take quite an impact.he has tried to flip a stone into the glass though so I’ve eliminated any possibilities of that

div129

Stitches will start misbehaving too if I don’t let him out.he has made me nervous of the glass breaking also but it would take quite an impact.he has tried to flip a stone into the glass though so I’ve eliminated any possibilities of that
today i experienced my first, and i hope last tegu bite. he saw me carry his bowl (when he sees it it means food). and he rushed to the front of the enclosure and before he jumped down i pushed him back into the cage. although, a few seconds later he bit my hand and shook it, thinking its food. i waited until he relized its not food and let go not long after. the bite hurts a bit but didnt bother me too much. hope i can reduce his food aggression. anyone got any tips?

Last edited:

Chris & Stitches

Sorry to hear that :( feeding tactics are not something I of all people should be giving advice on, but I do hand feed my tegu live mice every day and even used to finger feed him crickets the first couple weeks and he has never actually bit onto me.My tactics are considered dangerous but I have had perfect results so far.i always wait until right after he poops, he poops every day 1-2 times, he comes out right after every time.i rub his mouth and massage his throat and neck and right beneath the eyes and I think he just likes my fingers.i let him out at least 5 times a day and his feeding is pretty random.ill let him eat 3 fuzzies about a half hour apart and the next day he may eat one, or non, maybe two and then two, he eats about 10 small hoppers a week

div129

Sorry to hear that :( feeding tactics are not something I of all people should be giving advice on, but I do hand feed my tegu live mice every day and even used to finger feed him crickets the first couple weeks and he has never actually bit onto me.My tactics are considered dangerous but I have had perfect results so far.i always wait until right after he poops, he poops every day 1-2 times, he comes out right after every time.i rub his mouth and massage his throat and neck and right beneath the eyes and I think he just likes my fingers.i let him out at least 5 times a day and his feeding is pretty random.ill let him eat 3 fuzzies about a half hour apart and the next day he may eat one, or non, maybe two and then two, he eats about 10 small hoppers a week
weirdly, if i feed fillets he usually take it out of my hand carefully, but whenever theres ground anything he goes insane. the bite isnt as bad as i thought it would be but ill be more carefull when feeding him then. better train it out of him before he reaches adulthood or that would hurt :).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980