• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

housing 2 tegus

mike97

ok so im selling all my reps... which will get me enought to get a pair of tegus. so im wandering if its possible to house them together. i can possibly pursuade my mum to let me build an 8x4 viv.
thanks mike

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/animal-care-sheets/lizards-and-monitors/-/argentine-black-and-white-tegu/ was looking at this care sheet and thought it may be possible. and would love to eventually breed them!

mike97 said:
ok so im selling all my reps... which will get me enought to get a pair of tegus. so im wandering if its possible to house them together. i can possibly pursuade my mum to let me build an 8x4 viv.
thanks mike

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/animal-care-sheets/lizards-and-monitors/-/argentine-black-and-white-tegu/ was looking at this care sheet and thought it may be possible. and would love to eventually breed them!

If you plan to keep them together, you will need a back up plan in case things don't work out. I would also recommend something bigger than an 8x4 for keeping two, in case one wants his space. Also are you selling your other pets just to afford the tegus? They have expensive upkeep.

Raicardoso

mike97 said:
thanks mike

Possibly persuade to build a 8x4? You need at least a 8x4 for one. There's also a good chance they won't get along together and you'll need two separate cages.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
[attachment=6716]I'm with Raicardoso on this one. Housing can get expensive. Even a simple box type enclosure will go over budget. I think you should start off with one in a 4x8 and see how that goes first. You can always get another later when you have money for a larger enclosure.

Attachments

• Lizards 2009 wide format.jpg
    Lizards 2009 wide format.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 20

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If plan on getting a pair to breed, you will need 2 enclosures, now if you start off with hatchlings you may have a year or twos time before you need a 8x4 enclosure, the minimum is 6x3x3 which is what I have, and a 7x4x3 coming next week, a 4x2x2 will hold 2 tegus up until they are 2.5' @ best

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can two get along in an enclosure, yes, and it might go amazing for a long time. All it takes is one second to lose a pet. If you are going to get two tegus you should plan on having two cages.

Dubya is right in that starting with one is good thing. This will let you test the water and see how much work and money a tegu will take.

mike97

ok i canbuild 2 6x4x2's but they will be ontop of each other? but would the other viv fall through? with supports?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
mike97 said:
ok i canbuild 2 6x4x2's but they will be ontop of each other? but would the other viv fall through? with supports?

Not if you build it sturdy enough. How will you mount heat bulbs in the bottom cage if it is 2 feet tall? the bottom one will need interior lighting if another cage is resting on it and 2 feet will make the heat bulb really close if you have an adequate amount of bedding. I would also leave an air space between the two so heat from the lights in the lower cage do not overheat the top cage during warm weather. I still think you should start with one. Buying the tegus and related equipment and building the housing are going to cost way more than you think. Even Drylok for the interior is about $25 per gallon and a gallon does not go far.

mike97

Dubya said:
mike97 said:

Not if you build it sturdy enough. How will you mount heat bulbs in the bottom cage if it is 2 feet tall? the bottom one will need interior lighting if another cage is resting on it and 2 feet will make the heat bulb really close if you have an adequate amount of bedding. I would also leave an air space between the two so heat from the lights in the lower cage do not overheat the top cage during warm weather. I still think you should start with one. Buying the tegus and related equipment and building the housing are going to cost way more than you think. Even Drylok for the interior is about $25 per gallon and a gallon does not go far.
i was going to use osb3 and seal it, im in the uk so i dont work in $ its about £15 for 2 gallons or something?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
OSB does not hold screws well, it outgasses a lot, falls apart, and looks terrible. Even luan plywood floor underlayment is better with extra supports. I would not use OSB. How will you mount lights in the bottom cage and keep them far enough from the tegu? I think you should think your plan through and sketch out your design on paper so you can visualize it better. BTW, $25=16.55 pounds.

mike97

Dubya said:
OSB does not hold screws well, it outgasses a lot, falls apart, and looks terrible. Even luan plywood floor underlayment is better with extra supports. I would not use OSB. How will you mount lights in the bottom cage and keep them far enough from the tegu? I think you should think your plan through and sketch out your design on paper so you can visualize it better. BTW, $25=16.55 pounds.
drill holes in the side and use clips to hold them in place, i plan to use a mvb. i will probably just get one for now anyway.

mike97 said:
Dubya said:
drill holes in the side and use clips to hold them in place, i plan to use a mvb. i will probably just get one for now anyway.
and ive seen osb used manytimes by very experienced keepers for boscs? and they hold 2ft of substate?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Do not mount the MVB bulbs at an angle. They burn out fast that way. Make sure they point straight down. A 100w MVB should be about 12-14 inches from the lizards back, but check the instructions.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
mike97 said:
so would it work? with support beams going under the other viv?

Maybe. A few 1x2 boards mounted on edge across the short side might do it. You are on your own with the OSB. Good luck.

mike97

Dubya said:
mike97 said:

Maybe. A few 1x2 boards mounted on edge across the short side might do it. You are on your own with the OSB. Good luck.
but would it be strong enough? 18mm? with supports and a frame? i will start off with one but its my bday in september and may get an other?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
mike97 said:
Dubya said:
mike97 said:

but would it be strong enough? 18mm? with supports and a frame? i will start off with one but its my bday in september and may get an other?

The OSB is strong enough. Until it deteriorates where your tegu scratches it and water starts getting under the paint.

mike97

Dubya said:
mike97 said:
Dubya said:
mike97 said:

The OSB is strong enough. Until it deteriorates where your tegu scratches it and water starts getting under the paint.
http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/sheet-materials/Oriented-Strand-Board-3-L-2440-x-W-1220-x-T-18mm-9276290 or melamine?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
mike97 said:
Dubya said:
mike97 said:
Dubya said:
mike97 said:

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/sheet-materials/Oriented-Strand-Board-3-L-2440-x-W-1220-x-T-18mm-9276290 or melamine?

Exterior OSB might just work. Melamine is the worst. Some here use it, but you must seal the edges REALLY well. A lot of people on this forum really hate it. What is wrong with exterior plywood? 3/4" for bottom, 1/2" for top and sides?

mike97

Dubya said:
mike97 said:
Dubya said:
mike97 said:
Dubya said:

Exterior OSB might just work. Melamine is the worst. Some here use it, but you must seal the edges REALLY well. A lot of people on this forum really hate it. What is wrong with exterior plywood? 3/4" for bottom, 1/2" for top and sides?
£30 a sheet? and not that great from here! and why so thick on the bottom? if its on the floor? and i was going to use thicker on the top if im gunna have another viv on top? and yeah i heard melamine is crap! instead of glass could i use mesh with plastic sheeting covering it? if not then fine but trying to build it as cheap as possible without cutting so many colours. and ive seen it done before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.