• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

High white blues.

DMBizeau

Bobby has an article on here covering that question, here is a copy of it.

VARNYARD said:
Tegus are polymorphic, meaning in tegus they are known for occurring in several forms and there are no set rules as for color or pattern. Normal tegus, red tegus,giant tegus and blue tegus can range from very dark to very light in color, and they can show whites, blacks, grays, yellows, reds, oranges, blues and even greens in the color. These all can also occur in the same clutch within siblings.

In 1859, Charles Darwin said this, On the Origin of Species:
I refer to those genera which have sometimes been called "protean" or "polymorphic," in which the species present an inordinate amount of variation; and hardly two naturalists can agree which forms to rank as species and which as varieties.

So all though, black and white are the primary color in normal Argentines, red, blacks and grays in reds, blue, black and browns in blues, creams, whites, grays and blacks in giants, many other colors may also occur as well. Same is true when it comes to pattern. You might breed two very dark tegus and get some very light ones, or breed very light ones and get dark ones, there are no set colors in tegus, and they can vary a lot from tegu to tegu.

You ever seen a child that had blue eyes and blond hair when both parents had brown eyes and dark hair? The same is found in tegus.

tora

That may be true but I'd assume there would be a better chance of two high whites making more high whites than a regular couple. Same deal with humans, just because two dark haired dark eyed parents could produce a light haired & eyed colored kid doesn't mean it's the norm.

DMBizeau

tora said:
That may be true but I'd assume there would be a better chance of two high whites making more high whites than a regular couple. Same deal with humans, just because two dark haired dark eyed parents could produce a light haired & eyed colored kid doesn't mean it's the norm.

I'm not assuming anything one way or the other. I'm just going from what I've read and what I've spoken with Bobby about and considering the numbers he hatches I believe what I hear. If color was a simple dominant gene in tegus you would be able to breed two high white parents and get all high white offspring. All that Bobby is saying is that it is not as easy to breed for color with tegus as it is with other reptiles. When you are getting clutches of 30-50 eggs with the amount of variance in color and pattern that tegus have all I am saying is that just because the parents where high white or higher then normal white doesn't mean yours will be. Especially when they all look the same when they are young.

GraphiK

5 Year Member
I'm hoping either Wil or Chris get some action with those high whites, I'm looking to buy a blue this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu