• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hey friends ,just passing this on

RobK.

i think this study would apply to iguanas and lizards also , good study . very good info on heat lamps and heat distribution .

http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8079

RobK.

rhetoricx said:
Soooo does this mean youre back on the forum
ronibathtime3012.jpg
?? :) :) :)

yea , if you don't mind ?

The other forums are ok but kinda boring IMO .

loving it outside . i wish i could keep him out more . winters are long here .

roni82012.jpg

bath

ronibathtime3012.jpg

posing

ronisep2012.jpg

Logie_Bear

Oh wow, I can't believe that's the same roni! He looks great! Did his head shaking stop completely with age?

Really nice to see you two on the forums again.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
welcome back.=] now i can talk to someone when i get my rhino eventually.=D

RobK.

TeguBuzz said:
Welcome back Rob. Roni is looking great!

thanks

james.w said:
Wow Rob. Your doing a great job with him.

thanks , he's a real joy to have .

Logie_Bear said:
Oh wow, I can't believe that's the same roni! He looks great! Did his head shaking stop completely with age?

not sure what caused it ?? but since he's been in his new cage no problems at all . But he's been outside a lot too . so see what happens this winter , I keep his new cage spotless . he poops in a bucket then its flushed . every now and then he poops twice in one day and then i have to clean it up . when he does that he get poop on his feet so he gets a bath .Using Tile makes its easy though . I '' TRY'' to keep him and his cage spotless , 100% of the time . its spot cleaned daily , and i remove everything and then its moped down twice a week .

RobK.

I though this was very interesting ( below ) and one reason i am not a MVB fan . as most do not cover a large area . The mega ray i have will be around 120-130 mw of uvb in the middle 2'' at 12'' and then tapers way off to 40-50 just inches from the centre . where as tubes cover a larger area and are even in the UVB output . I do notice when i put the mega ray in My Rhino Ovoid being directly under it and ALWAYS stays to the one side and its not because of heat . except the old MVB thats only putting out around 60 MW of UVB .

Quote from the what i posted at the top of this thread .

'' What is happening with many people's setups is that the animals are being 'blasted' by very high levels of UV-B, but their thermoregulation is at the same time being seriously disrupted by the inadequate IR distribution. Many of the body parts where D3 production occurs are not at the correct temperatures, while other parts are being "cooked". Hence, how much value they are getting from the UV-B is uncertain. That is another avenue that needs further exploration. We'll know more on that later... ''

just can't beat nature !!

this is the set up that ''MY'' Rhino seems to like the best . eats better and more active . The MVB is a old one and more for heat than UVB .

enclosurelight.jpg

RobK.

frost said:
i see what you're saying.so are you doing anything to try remedy this?

for one i don't use MVB for uvb , but use 3 10.00 H.O. tubes and three basking lights and one 5000k tube at 24'' . . i like this set up , he gets lower levels of UVB than the mega ray BUT his whole body i getting some . i added a third socket down the middle today . i hope this set up help during the long winters we have here , His room is also heated 85 during the day 75 at night .

RONILIGHT2.jpg

ronislights.jpg

RobK.

Not use where i read this , but if you have a MVB that blinks on and off and then goes off . You can put it in the freezer for a hour , then remove it , let it get room temperature and then put it back in . It does something to the integral ballast . The MVB i was using just for heat (has very low UVB ) was doing just that . so i tried that this morning and so far its been going all day . well see if it starts on it own when it cool off again . ?? Can't remember where i read this ?????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980