• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Growing Faster Than Bamboo!!!---September 10, 2009

Jefroka

5 Year Member
His last shed was two days ago. Today I measured him at 25". I never would have believed an animal could grow this fast, simply amazing. Just to reiterate, he was hatched out June 10, exactly three months ago today.

Here's some pics: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/September92009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPy8-NS0jNGNRQ#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalu ... NS0jNGNRQ#</a><!-- m -->

...Jefroka

AWD247

5 Year Member
Looks great man, it's awesome how these guys grow, I have to measure vegeta and see where he's at now so I can do an update in the diaries,
yours has gotten big in 3 months, I wonder what I'll have in 3 months, he's coming up on 2 months now and last I checked was 18".

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I had no idea it was possible they could grow this fast. Perhaps its because I'm in the south and my temps are still in the low 80's F. His appetite is still very good, and he's very active, no signs of slowing down for hibernation.

...Jefroka

AWD247

5 Year Member
Yea mine is slowing down a bit, by the time I get home at 5pm he's burrowed some where, I check the enclosure for any poop etc change the water and he pops out for a few, I handle him for about an hour, get him to eat then he'll bask for about 30mins and disappears again lol
he stays out more on the weekends, maybe cause there's more action in the house with us home idk

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Let me clarify, when I say very active, I mean very active for him, as he is active only in the morning for a few hours, maybe three. His lights come on in the morning and he comes out from underneath the mulch, then basks on his rock for around 30-45 minutes. I then, if he comes to me, fed him in his bin, then handle him for a short while, or wheel him outside to bask in direct sun for 20-30 mintues. Then its back in his enclosure where he basks some more, but shortly after that he buries himself again. This has been his routine for a few months now.

...Jefroka

Jefroka

5 Year Member
The captain said:
Nice tegu! What is the predicted sex?

I requested a male and I believe he may be one, what do y'all think?

Mike, I believe there's another on here with an exceptionally fast growing argentine like yours. They seem to possibly grow even faster than the extremes.

...Jefroka

Beasty

5 Year Member
It all depends on incredibly variable factors. My boy Z was like 17" this spring when he came out of hibernation. Now he's around 30" and would likely be even bigger if he hadn't had a belly full of mulch most of the time! Silly lizard!
That's a really clean baby you got, Jefroka! Z is light but speckle/freckled on his neck. Your boy has clean lines. Very nice! IfI had a gun put to my head over it I'd say male, but it's early yet and secondary characteristics haven't kicked in yet. I'd be feeling for bumps, IF he'll sit still long enough to discern them.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Beasty is a beautiful animal, do you have any recent pictures of him? Oh, and thanks for the complements on Beauregard, I'm very happy with him.

...Jefroka

Beasty

5 Year Member
LOL! Beasty is ME!
ATWIBAS.jpg

Check my music site link in my signature.

Z or Zaltys is my Extreme. Here are some taken yesterday.
Z9-10-09.jpg

Z9-10-09cu.jpg

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Measured Beauregard yesterday at 27" today, he is shedding, writhing and a scratchin' writhing and a scratchin'.

...Jefroka

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Thanks!

I've noticed lately that his torso is getting longer. He still looks like a stringy youth in a serious growth spurt, all his growth has been long ways. I'm sure at some point he'll start filling out, not that he's skinny, by no means is he, base of tail plump and fat.

I'll take more picks soon.

...jefroka

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Took some (ok, alot, lol!) pics of beauregard today. He is shedding. You can see what I mean by his growth has gone long ways, he's looks like a stringy teenager going through growth spurts! Tell me what ya think. Thanks!

Pics: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/9242009?authkey=Gv1sRgCNW50qrD673sowE#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalu ... rD673sowE#</a><!-- m -->

...Jefroka

Jefroka

5 Year Member
TEGU_JAKE said:
looking good
what are you feeding him now?

Two mixes, 1)Turkey/kidney/codliver oil, 2)Turkey/bass/steak,codliver oil and a small FT mouse 1 x week.

...Jefroka