• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

golden tegu questions

tegzilla

I just recently got a golden tegu.I've had him about a month,he's really skechy still but just in the cage. My question is how to get him to come out of his hide more sometimes he'll spend two days in there and won't eat.2 question he won't eat live food!! Just turkey and eggs is that normal? Oh he's only about 10 to 12 inches at most if that helps.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Tegus are individuals and it seems like yours may be a bit picky. Cut back on the eggs since he's so young. Since he doesn't seem to like live prey, you should perhaps invest in some of Zoo Med's Can O' feeders. They have crickets, mealworms, snails, grasshoppers, and shrimp. My tegu Kodo (he's a black and white Colombian, but according to the scientists they're the same species as the golds) has never been given live prey. Live prey A) fights back and can injure your tegu and B) fosters aggression because your pet has to kill and you may not want that in an animal you wish to handle regularly. It is also a pain in the ass to deal with uneaten live rodents. Try offering different foods and see what your tegu likes. Variety in diet is the key to a healthy tegu.

tegzilla

dragonmetalhead said:
Tegus are individuals and it seems like yours may be a bit picky. Cut back on the eggs since he's so young. Since he doesn't seem to like live prey, you should perhaps invest in some of Zoo Med's Can O' feeders. They have crickets, mealworms, snails, grasshoppers, and shrimp. My tegu Kodo (he's a black and white Colombian, but according to the scientists they're the same species as the golds) has never been given live prey. Live prey A) fights back and can injure your tegu and B) fosters aggression because your pet has to kill and you may not want that in an animal you wish to handle regularly. It is also a pain in the A** to deal with uneaten live rodents. Try offering different foods and see what your tegu likes. Variety in diet is the key to a healthy tegu.

dang cut back on eggs he loves eggs,and turkey.i really want see him eat a live rat eventually.any help on getting him out of his hide? no basking and eating for 3days worries me

got10

tegzilla said:
dragonmetalhead said:
Tegus are individuals and it seems like yours may be a bit picky. Cut back on the eggs since he's so young. Since he doesn't seem to like live prey, you should perhaps invest in some of Zoo Med's Can O' feeders. They have crickets, mealworms, snails, grasshoppers, and shrimp. My tegu Kodo (he's a black and white Colombian, but according to the scientists they're the same species as the golds) has never been given live prey. Live prey A) fights back and can injure your tegu and B) fosters aggression because your pet has to kill and you may not want that in an animal you wish to handle regularly. It is also a pain in the A** to deal with uneaten live rodents. Try offering different foods and see what your tegu likes. Variety in diet is the key to a healthy tegu.

dang cut back on eggs he loves eggs,and turkey.i really want see him eat a live rat eventually.any help on getting him out of his hide? no basking and eating for 3days worries me

You are going to end up with a dead pet. Have you any idea how hard a rat fights back? A rat can if given the opportunity, disembowel your lizard. It ain't that serious dude, if you find the NEED to see him eat rats ,feed it frozen. I hope you didn't get it to be a "Cool" pet. These are animals that eat whatever can basically fit in heir mouths and in all reality rodents are not a big part of a wild tegu diet. Fish ,birds ,,not (shady brook farms turkey lol)whole eggs ,frogs, fish, worms ,smaller lizards, small mammals (not just rats)insects snakes and carrion .
If I where you i would start breeding marble crawdads and roaches as well

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Post pics of your setup. If he's not coming out, it's probably wrong. I don't have an issue with feeding live but don't try it til he's an adult and feed a small mouse not a rat. Only when supervised. What are your temps, substrate, hides, everything you have carewise? Without that it's hard to diagnose the problem. Feed him out of enclosure in a feeding tub with some kind of paper towel or something laid down so he can't ingest his substrate. I'm not one of the variety fanatics but variety is definitely a plus. If you don't do variety though, whole prey items are the way to go. Turkey and eggs is nice, but not as a staple. Especially not eggs.

m3s4

I wouldn't feed live, but that's just me.

If you're going to feed eggs, you need to separate the white from the yolk and only feed the yolk - otherwise, over time, biotin deficiencies can occur.

I'd mix in the ground turkey with egg yolk and water.
(2) egg yolks, 6 oz water, 2-3 oz turkey. Blend. You can blend in crickets as well.

Make sure to supplement with good vits and calcium.

At his age he'll likely eat every day but he has to calm down to his surroundings and get comfortable and used to it all.

tegzilla

DavidRosi said:
"i really want see him eat a live rat eventually"

I feel sorry for your Tegu; I really do. If you bought him with the mindless abandon in which your only real aim is to watch that... Sell him, watch the discovery channel.

dude your way out of line,take that im better than you judgmental crap else where.dont post on my thread if your just talking crap.

m3s4 said:
I wouldn't feed live, but that's just me.

If you're going to feed eggs, you need to separate the white from the yolk and only feed the yolk - otherwise, over time, biotin deficiencies can occur.

I'd mix in the ground turkey with egg yolk and water.
(2) egg yolks, 6 oz water, 2-3 oz turkey. Blend. You can blend in crickets as well.

Make sure to supplement with good vits and calcium.

At his age he'll likely eat every day but he has to calm down to his surroundings and get comfortable and used to it all.

thanks that actually might get him use to crickets, and i give him his vitamins and calcium he has alot of space and proper temps,i think your right its just his age and size

TegusRawsome80 said:
Post pics of your setup. If he's not coming out, it's probably wrong. I don't have an issue with feeding live but don't try it til he's an adult and feed a small mouse not a rat. Only when supervised. What are your temps, substrate, hides, everything you have carewise? Without that it's hard to diagnose the problem. Feed him out of enclosure in a feeding tub with some kind of paper towel or something laid down so he can't ingest his substrate. I'm not one of the variety fanatics but variety is definitely a plus. If you don't do variety though, whole prey items are the way to go. Turkey and eggs is nice, but not as a staple. Especially not eggs.

TegusRawsome80 said:

yea he has a great setup and proper temps i give him vitamins and calcium,and i wasnt gonna give him a live mouse till he's way more grown,its just weird how NO live food at all he wont eat crickets or superworms, he loves egg turkey and chicken.

DavidRosi

dude your way out of line,take that im better than you judgmental crap else where.dont post on my thread if your just talking crap.

I don't think I'm out of line at all...I wasn't "talking crap" at all, I'm afraid; just a passing statement that maybe you have bought a Tegu with the wrong intentions.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
You cant make a statement like "i really want see him eat a live rat eventually." and not raise concern among (some) members.
Everyone Im sure, is well aware of the feeding debate so Im not even going to touch that one...
But dont act surprised when concern arises or tempers flare over the subject.
Thats not "talking crap" thats someone expressing concern over the care of another members animal.
Lets not turn this into a forum war or even worse - a live vs. prekilled debate ::shudders::
Are we not all here because we care about our Tegus?
Just do yourself and your Tegu a favor, and THOROUGHLY research both sides of the issue.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Why can't he post that? Just because all you "holier than thou" people disagree with feeding live doesn't mean you have to jump on the guy for saying he wants to. You feed your babies live crickets. Why is that any worse than feeding a live mouse. The true answer is it isn't. At all.

got10

Thelegendofcharlie said:
You cant make a statement like "i really want see him eat a live rat eventually." and not raise concern among (some) members.
Everyone Im sure, is well aware of the feeding debate so Im not even going to touch that one...
Thats not "talking crap" thats someone expressing concern over the care of another members animal.
Lets not turn this into a forum war or even worse - a live vs. prekilled debate ::shudders::
Just do yourself and your Tegu a favor, and THOROUGHLY research both sides of the issue.

I concur

tegzilla

what i really wanted out of this was info, this was my first post and day on tegu talk,and was disappointing to have one of the first replys be go watch animal planet and the mindless abandon dribble.

but i have found tons of useful info searching fourms theres some cats on here that really have useful ideas and thoughts,plus some awsome pics.

m3s4

Thelegendofcharlie said:

Exactly.

Very well said.

DavidRosi

Okay. My apologies. I don't disagree with live feeding, Tegu are not the most fragile creatures in the world; and I'm sure in time he/she would be able to sort the rat into dinner time. I just think maybe the phrasing was a little, young? but, forgive and forget. Think my problem is I love my Tegu, and think they're amazing and beautiful creatures and the thought of a rat making a mess of one disheartens me greatly.

As for your little one not making much of an appearance... It may have something to do with temperatures? I found with Kara that if she was colder than she wanted to be she'd spend a lot of time tucked away, which I presume was to keep warm... but after some more research and investments she became a lot more active. At the moment she is under most of the morning, comes out at 2 and tries to find new and exiting ways to open her viv (hence having to lock it) she uses her claws to prize it open... love her.

Good luck with yours in the future ! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980