• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Finally got my Chacoan!

snibborsirk

image.jpeg

So after a couple months of asking, my wife finally gave in and let me get my first tegu since 2004. Unbelievably calm especially with my 3 & 5 year old kids. Hopefully he stays that way! Got him from Snakes on Sunset in case anybody is looking for a little Chacoan. Think they have a handful left and they are sexing them.

snibborsirk

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So far Jack (let my 3 year old son name him - he's obsessed with Jack Skellington!!) has shown no interest in crickets but ate a few bites of ground turkey this evening. Have a feeling I'm going to be fighting him on wanting to overwinter. Any suggestions on stimulating food for young tegus would be appreciated! He's right at 6 weeks old so I'd like him to at least grow a bit before shutting down for the winter. On a side note, I think my boxer (Duchess) has a new best friend - she is very intrigued by Jack the tegu!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No real fighting it. Provide normal conditions and accept that he'll slow down for a spell.

snibborsirk

Here's a couple of up to date pics of Jack my Chacoan. He's doing extremely well and chowing down on ground turkey, crickets, and his favorite...scrambled egg yolks. He's skittish if you try to pet him in his enclosure but is very friendly and calm as soon as you get him out. Love the pronounced "H" on the top of his head!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

On another note (Walter1 I'm sure you'll be thrilled about this!) I'm getting another hatchling from Rodney Irwin at TegusOnly. Should be here Friday by 3pm. Anxious to see the new addition once he/she is here. Supposed to be around 14-15" which is the same size as my Chacoan.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Love it on both counts! Jack is showing the change to very high contrast and is the picture of health. And, you're getting one from Rodney. Two lucky tegus. Tomorrow won't come quickly enough! Will be eager to see a pic.

snibborsirk

So I got my B&W from Tegusonly today...a little larger than expected but a beautiful tegu none the less! So far so good with the size discrepancy. Is it just me or does the "Florida" tegu look more like a supposed Chacoan than the actual Chacoan????
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Included a pic of a 7' long x 3' deep cage I picked up off craigslist today as well for next to nothing! Good day for me and the tegus!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Snibby- Outstanding. Incredible high contrast. Good match for your original and a fine set-up to boot. Congrats and thanks for the pics.

snibborsirk

Thought I would share these two pics! My dogs are absolutely intrigued by my tegus!!! Surprisingly they are very good around them too. Tegus seem to be pretty accustomed to the dogs being around all the time too. Our boxer tries to give them kisses just like she does our kids...tegus stay calm and don't seem to fear being eaten!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Snibb- Above are three pics of Snowflake just now. Her belly is a faded fire belly, whereas Rosita's belly is classic fire truck red with black bars. Hope this helps.

Your new one's a beauty. Good companion. Good luck on getting a third. For me, at least, keeping three is like keeping one as long as two males are not kept together. Any idea of sexes of your two? Your new one might be big enough to feel for the BBs.

Last edited:

snibborsirk

Love the pics - she's a good looking tegu! I'm kinda leaning towards male with the new one from Rodney. I think I'm feeling a bit of a BB on each side but am reluctant to say for sure yet. Haven't been able to keep him/her still long enough to get a good read.

snibborsirk

Here's a couple of updated pics of my two taking a quick soak. Doing well, just wish I had a little more time to handle them. Hopefully I will now that the holidays are over! It still amazes me how different the patterns can be on them!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hope that they're a pair. All the better for two really strikingly patterned argies.

snibborsirk

Here's a couple of new pics from this evening. First 2 pics are Jack the male - he's growing incredibly fast and is only slightly smaller than his older cage mate (hopefully lover!) that was twice his size just a month ago. Second 2 pics are Sallie/Sully (not sure yet) - got him/her from TegusOnly. Starting to develop the "Firebelly" too like Jack my Chacoan. Their new enclosure is coming next Friday so I'm trying to get prepped for that so it's an easy transition. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Snib- really nice going. They'd throw beautiful young. They're looking good.

snibborsirk

Just a couple updated pics of Jack my Chacoan yesterday. He was helping me get some work done at home! Still in shed but most of it has come off other than the tail. Can't complain about this guy...eats anything, friendly as can be, and treats his blue/Chacoan cross girlfriend with class!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980