• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding my red tegu eggs; cooked well or slightly raw?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You have Salmonella, I have Salmonella, we all have Salmonella...sing with me!!!

Salmonella is a genus of bacteria species and we have no less than 27 species of it living in our intestinal tracts. All of us...animals too. The problem is when we get an overgrowth. That is typically an immune problem and not too much bacteria, per se. We have yeast and other bacteria in our gut that keep Salmonella overgrowth under control. Young kids, sick people, the elderly, etc have more to worry about.

For young kids, they can touch tegus, but have them wash their hands well with soap right after and don't let them crawl around where the tegu walks a lot. Only 6% of reported cases of Salmonella are from reptiles, most are from kitchen contamination with raw food. Turtles are notorious for carrying Salmonella and getting people sick. It's not that they have a lot of Salmonella, it's because people keep them in crappy little containers, the turtle poops in the water which is never cleaned, the kid plays with the turtle and doesn't wash his hands afterwards. It's the owner's issue for having a dirty habitat, not a dirty turtle.

Cooking eggs will kill Salmonella, but also denature all the good protein. As for avidin, all the veterinary reports I've read say that avidin is only an issue with monitors being fed a 100% egg diet in captivity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029