• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding my red tegu eggs; cooked well or slightly raw?

MaryMayhem

I apologize if this has been discussed already!

My tegu absolutely loves eggs... my boyfriend will usually cook a slight sunny side up - but i'm always afraid it's cooked too raw for Zelda's tummy. I remind myself that she's a tegu and "i'm sure it's fine" (she freakin' gulps it up within seconds as well) but i'm curious as to public opinion and am open to better suggestions if slimy sunny side up isn't the best.

got10

I know I am in the minority here but I only feed raw eggs . I give biotin from the pet store once a month to make up for whatever "loss " of it from the unfertilized eggs.

Neeko

The only thing I've really come across is on a raw egg she'll there can be bacteria. Something elseabout the make up of a raw egg vs a cooked egg is different too. I think Bobby mentioned this... Been years my information could be bad now. Eggs give my guys gas... ???

Dana C

Laura and James are correct. During the South American spring, eggs make up a large part of a Tegu's diet and I am fairly sure they don't scramble them before eating them. As far as bacteria go, Tegus have more than raw eggs. As for Salmonella, tegus are loaded with it. As for Avidin which is mentioned on the Varnyard web site, a tegu would have to eat a ton of eggs before calcium uptake disruption occurred. I eat raw eggs occasionally. My tegus eat raw eggs occasionally as well as scrambled. Neither them or I have become sick.

Jeremy, please tell us the source of your information and what you read.
Thannks

Diablo

5 Year Member
Dana C said:
Laura and James are correct. During the South American spring, eggs make up a large part of a Tegu's diet and I am fairly sure they don't scramble them before eating them. As far as bacteria go, Tegus have more than raw eggs. As for Salmonella, tegus are loaded with it. As for Avidin which is mentioned on the Varnyard web site, a tegu would have to eat a ton of eggs before calcium uptake disruption occurred. I eat raw eggs occasionally. My tegus eat raw eggs occasionally as well as scrambled. Neither them or I have become sick.

Thannks

This is a little off topic, but since tegus carry salmonella is there any risk in handling them and catching it? Or are you fine as long as you wash your hands after and all that.

Just do quail eggs you can cook them or leave them raw.The reason why is quails have a high body temp so the eggs don't get salmonella which is pretty cool. One side note is, quail eggs are kinda hard to find

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Diablo said:
Dana C said:

Thannks

This is a little off topic, but since tegus carry salmonella is there any risk in handling them and catching it? Or are you fine as long as you wash your hands after and all that.

There is a risk in getting salmonella from a tegu, but I would say it is a very small risk. Of course you should wash you hands before and after interaction and before and after handling the food you feed your tegu.

Diablo

5 Year Member
james.w said:
Diablo said:
Dana C said:

Thannks

There is a risk in getting salmonella from a tegu, but I would say it is a very small risk. Of course you should wash you hands before and after interaction and before and after handling the food you feed your tegu.

So it would generally be a good idea to keep a tegu away from small infants or children? I have a nepthew who is almost 2, but I'm not sure if I wanna risk giving him anything at all. In case he ever wants to see my tegu

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Generally, yes. If you want them to interact obviously you would be keeping a close eye and just make sure they don't put their hands in their mouths or near their face before you wash them.

tommylee22

I think it's more on how the eggs are processed that make the non cooked eggs bad.

My question is shell or no shell when feeding boiled eggs?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tommylee22 said:
I think it's more on how the eggs are processed that make the non cooked eggs bad.

My question is shell or no shell when feeding boiled eggs?

Can you explain the first half of your post and shell on is fine.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I have backyard free range chickens. I get eggs every day. I have read that you don't have to worry about salmonella if your chickens eat only vegetable matter, which they do. I feed them organic chicken feed (incredibly delicious eggs). Would an occasional raw egg be OK?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dubya said:
I have backyard free range chickens. I get eggs every day. I have read that you don't have to worry about salmonella if your chickens eat only vegetable matter, which they do. I feed them organic chicken feed (incredibly delicious eggs). Would an occasional raw egg be OK?

Yes it will be 100% ok.

Dana C

As far as a tegu infecting you with salmonella, the key phrase is......are you ready?..................................................................................................
Don't lick your tegu.......LOL

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Dana C said:
As far as a tegu infecting you with salmonella, the key phrase is......are you ready?..................................................................................................
Don't lick your tegu.......LOL

Damn. Too late.

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
Dana C said:

Thannks

I went by what Bobby Hill told me but now looking at all this im starting to question lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam