• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Extreme bit my face

herpgirl2510

I had chevy on my lap and he was exploring he came up to my face and was flicking his tongue on my face. He is always flicking his tongue when he explores. Right before I decided I onder if he thinks my face is food he bit my cheek. It did not draw blood or really hurt it just startled me. For the first few weeks since he has been here he was not eating much> he has started to now maybe he is just eally hungry. I know he was never handledbefore so maybe because he hs never really been held. He is at least 30" should I be removing him to eat more even if he is hiding?

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Is Chevy a 2010? Aesop is and he just recently bit the HELL out of breeder-friend of mine who was watching him while we were on our honeymoon. Maybe it's tegu-puberty time? He's (Aes) has been popping his jowls a bit and went after Francis (female extreme) during a free-roam session a couple weeks ago (he NEVER did that before).

All I know for sure is that you're VERY fortunate to have that bite incident go as well as it did. My buddy wound up in the hospital with an infection that spread from his index finger (the bite spot) all the way to the top of his shoulder. 3 types of antibiotics and a 102 degree fever later and they finally sent him home...

herpgirl2510

Yes 2010. I must smell good today beaus Tonka my B&W got so excited when I put down his dish he ran over and bit my big toe. He is two so it borke the skin I will keep an eye on it. know it was an acident he does not usually run so fast to the bowl. The second before my chevy my extreme bit me I thought maybe he thinks I am food because his tongue was flicking very rapidly like when they are looking for food. He did not bite to be nasty I think he was surprised as I was.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow Thats insane, storm hasnt gone through puberty yet(i dont think) he is still well behaved, he is about 40" (give or take an inch) still no jowl popping or biting, he has been eating less the past few days and been a bit restless, i think the extremes mature much faster than the b/w's, after all blizard and sugar werent even 2 y/o when they had their first clutch, in fact blizard fathered 2 clutches before he was 2 y/o, i hope your friend is ok, btw slideboot, ya know he and aesop will be 1 y/o tomorrow

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Im thinking its what slideboot said puberty, they are just getting excited and dont know what to do and their curiosity gets the better of them

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I'll tell ya what...no matter what it is, I invested in some B.A. welding gloves the other day. Until this phase passes (hopefully), I'm not taking any chances. Francis, who is also a year old (sarge x cream) hasn't really shown any signs of this behavior. Then again, she's significantly smaller than Aesop (Francis hibernated with Bobby, Aesop stayed up all winter with me).

I think the important thing is to watch them carefully for signs of potential aggression (if that's even the right word for what they are expressing), but still maintain interaction with them (if even on a scaled-back, more cautious level). I've read a few posts here in the past about how this puberty thing happened, but with consistent interaction and patience, the tegus suddenly came around to their old, sweet selves.

Fingers crossed, eh?

And yeah, Reptastic...can you believe it's almost been a year since we got these guys? Something tells me that come next season, there'll be a red or two in my future...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know one thing i feel a bad storm brewing lol, he is getting a lil anxious and i have seen changes in his behaviour, nothing aggresive yet but i think its coming, i hope it passes fast, and Yeah i already dicussed getting a few high white b/w's next season with bobby :^D

herpgirl2510

I did not even think of puberty. He just seemed to be exploring on my lap and shoulders and his tongus started flicking fast on my jaw bone and he bit down not very hard though becuse it was a very small red mark. It did not seem like he was trying to be fresh.

Maro1

slideaboot said:
I'll tell ya what...no matter what it is, I invested in some B.A. welding gloves the other day.
Good idea. I'm not pointing fingers but I have been around a long time. Time enough to hear a lot of bad stories. I am glad it was not any worse. Just don't take this lightly. As much as we like our animals they re capable of doing serious damage to soft skinned humans. I always hate to see people with these animals close to their faces or kids. Everyone's animal is always safe and predictable to them. But the truth is familiarity brings about complacency. I love Tegus, snakes and anything that moves, but I trust none of them too far. Animals like this need no reason to bite. Sometimes they do it just for the hell of it.

Take care

herpgirl2510

I know my toe is a bit swollen. I do not even allow my son to handle my tegus. He has an afrian fat tailed gecko and a bearded dragon. I have been bit by several reptiles this seemed like he smelled something

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Ah I remember those days. My tegu went through this defensive/slight aggression stage toward the end of last year. She would become defensive every time I approached her and was a bit of a pain to work with. She never really lunged at me but she defiantly did her huffing and puffing more often then before. This year when she came out of hibernation she was an angel. I think it's just a phase and will pass. My tegu is an 09 baby.

Maro1

herpgirl2510 said:
I do not even allow my son to handle my tegus. He has an afrian fat tailed gecko and a bearded dragon.

Glad to hear it and Glad you weren't hurt seriously!

herpgirl2510

I would think ifit was aggression he would have lunged when he bit. He opened his mouth and closed it on my cheek he is about 30" and it did not even hurt much. Needless to say he will not be going anywhere near my face again.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Maro1 said:
slideaboot said:
I'll tell ya what...no matter what it is, I invested in some B.A. welding gloves the other day.
Good idea. I'm not pointing fingers but I have been around a long time. Time enough to hear a lot of bad stories. I am glad it was not any worse. Just don't take this lightly. As much as we like our animals they re capable of doing serious damage to soft skinned humans. I always hate to see people with these animals close to their faces or kids. Everyone's animal is always safe and predictable to them. But the truth is familiarity brings about complacency. I love Tegus, snakes and anything that moves, but I trust none of them too far. Animals like this need no reason to bite. Sometimes they do it just for the hell of it.

Take care

I completely agree.

herpgirl2510

Your right I should know better than to let him near my face. I have always carried tonka on my shoulders so I let my guard down and let hey near my face.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I myself got bit in the face by a green iguana when i was in my teens,and he was on my chest and as i turned my head he came up out of know were and bit me on the side of the face.I'm alot more carefull now then back then.I guess the good thing is no scaring.

new2tegus

I'd agree with slide and everyone else who mentioned it, they are still predators, and will have those instincts, those are things that can't be bred out, or tamed. My green I carried around on my shoulder, he never gave me any reason to think he would bite me, never did either. You got lucky, and I'm glad you are okay and it turned out well. He's still young, or another idea, did you eat recently, anything he might be interested in, meats? He could've smelled that on you, near your mouth, on your breath. Lizards have a great sense of smell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me