• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dozer Update: 2 months

Jrock23

How long did it take you to hand feed without using tongs.. I'm still workout on trust with my gold, but i want to try hand feeding . He seems ti bite too hard on the stainless steel tongs I have, I want to use wooden tongs because of the strength of the month can maybe break it. I want to try using plastic tongs but having trouble finding them in my area, I want to hand feed but my gold is aggressive eater LOL...

Dee-Dee Idrais

I have hand fed my tegu since the day I got her. Never had any issues. I don't even own a pair of tongs. Some of us are just lucky to get the tame ones. I feel really fortunate especially since I have kids and other animals too. Rockie gets along with my cats, a parrot and even the sugar gliders. She's simply a sweet heart.

Rud3dog

I have been on the fence with this issue. I have about 12 CBB monitors and tegus and they are super tame. I have hand fed them both when they were young, but as some might know, monitors and tegus dont seem to have killer eye sight close up. Ever offered food to a monitor or tegu and you have to wave it in the air for them to find it some times? Yeah they know its there, there sense of smell with the Jacobson organ tells them that. I have seen so many of my lizards miss the actual target of the food I was feeding them. I am sure some lizards are better then others, but when or if they get 5 foot plus, do you really want to continue to chance it? And is it really worth loosing a digit. Im very sure they wouldnt mean to hurt us, but any one or any thing can make a mistake. Every thing I just said is not a scientific fact, this is from my own personal observations, and this is only my opinions that I contemplative to myself all the time.

We should start a new topic with this very question :)

snibborsirk

I've had the same experience as Rud3dog in the past with monitors and tegus missing their food when its right in front of their face - exactly why I don't hand feed once they get to be a certain size. Being bit by a hungry/excited large tegu could be brutal even if it lets go immediately. I did have one exception prob 20 yrs ago or so with my water monitor I had in high school. He was 5-6' and was the gentlest eater I've ever had. Seemed like he went out of his way to make sure his food wasn't me before gulping it down!

beantickler

Im so jealous of his affection towards you. My red is still afraid of the world... He is only nice to me when hes in the tub or right after he gets out of the tub... lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You know, the red tegu is an animal with which I have 0 experience. I'd like to know more about how they differ or overlap with Argies wrt diet, handling, etc.

On a side note, I don't begrudge buying hybrids between them, but behavioral/biological predictability becomes more complicated.

So, again, I'd like to lead about more firsthand experience and knowledge about the red.

beantickler

Well Walter I can tell you that this red is very aggressive when hes in his cage but outside hes much nicer. I haven't spent the required time with him i should... pm me so we don't hijack this thread.

thatoneguy

I've hand fed and my tegu has missed and got me, usually doesn't hold on, but one time I had to pry his mouth off, no blood that time, but wasn't pleasent. I still hand feed though

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well Walter I can tell you that this red is very aggressive when hes in his cage but outside hes much nicer. I haven't spent the required time with him i should... pm me so we don't hijack this thread.
I plan to, thanks.

Rud3dog

I've hand fed and my tegu has missed and got me, usually doesn't hold on, but one time I had to pry his mouth off, no blood that time, but wasn't pleasent. I still hand feed though

When he/she is 5 foot, do you think it will be worth taking the chance? I have seen others do it, and I always cringe knowing that one day the worse bite ever could happen even by mistake.

thatoneguy

When he/she is 5 foot, do you think it will be worth taking the chance? I have seen others do it, and I always cringe knowing that one day the worse bite ever could happen even by mistake.

I was thinking about that as well, and I would like to keep all my fingers.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe it's a very individual thing. Some lizards more careful than others. Sometimes, I pat mine and talk to them while they're eating. They NEVER harm one another when at the food bowl, nor do my two redfoot tortoises that sumemr out with themever ever get hurt as they sometimes get to eat meat as well. Even cheek to jowl, no one is hurt, so I figure then neither will I get hurt. Only difference is that I talk to them and will use a fist to gently nudge a face away while saying "Huh'!" I'll do it just to assert my presence there.So, sometimes I itneratc a little with them as they eat and other times, I slop the pigs and leave.

Dee-Dee Idrais

Good looking bugger. I am a new owner of a male tegu (after I've had my girl Rockie for a year). Ours is Dozer as well lol. He is less then 15 months old and measures at 41 inches. I wish I could figure out how to post picks and videos. My two became an instant friends and are so cute together

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dee-Dee Idrais

image.jpeg
Here they are, Rockie and Dozer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam