• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

dexter is twitching now.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use herpivite as well but I also use a calcium supplement. The multivitamin has worked really well with Gary and Rango. I do not trust the calcium levels enough to only use that though.
I second ditching the other bulb and just using an MVB, I use a solar glo 160 wattt in each enclosure and its enough to maintain a 105-110*F basking spot which I measure with a digital probe thermometer. I am very please with the solar glo's I have used but I have seen positive reviews for the power sun. I am waiting for mega ray to be available so I cant try that out.

Dirtydmc

james.w said:
After I saw you got it for your colombian, I did a little research and it seems that it is about a 50-50 opinion on whether it works or not. The powder calcium is much more accepted for its effectiveness. I don't have any solid facts or proof, just something I believe. The herptivite doesn't have much if any calcium and on RepCal's site the say to mix it with their calcium at a 1:1 ratio. I would do this 2 times a week and use just the calcium the other days you feed.

As far as the PowerSun v. SolarGlo bulb, that is a personal opinion, if it gives you piece of mind to have the PowerSun than that is what you should use. Can you return it to where you got it and exchange it for a PowerSun and pay the difference? The SolarGlo comes with a 6 month warranty.

Makes sence, I've been using the herpivite since I got Dozer. I'm tional go both ways, what you two say and what bobby says. Maybe my thermometer is failing after ambient temps.

Dirtydmc

I put mulitple thermometers directly on the main basking spot this morning after taking away the smaller light. 110 degrees. Dexter had to have been too hot. Dozer as of this morning isn't twitching. He is shedding pretty good though. Bout to head to the shed Nd look for stuff to block up the top of the tank. Next payday im getting the stuff to build the adult enclosure.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Now make sure you cool side is good.

You can use aluminum foil if nothing else. If you have some wood lying around it would work best.

Dirtydmc

[attachment=3222]
Cold side right now is about 88 degrees. It's 80 outside right now.

I put a extra uvb bulb I have in the small fixture. Measured temps to make sure it was ok. It's not.putting off heat enough to raise temps.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cool side is a bit high. Can you move the basking spot to the end of the enclosure? If it is a coil type UVB, keep an eye on their eyes, those bulbs have been known to cause problems.

Dirtydmc

Moved the light over. Now I'm spending time adjusting the height of the branches they bask on. Is 112 pushing it?

Kebechet

112 for a basking spot is fine. If you get the cool side of the cage about 10-15 degrees cooler, I would say you're fine. I've discovered that Link likes a wide temp gradient. This may be the same with other Tegus as well, especially if they've been too hot and need to cool down.

Dirtydmc

They both go the hide throughout the day. Had to go in it today for maintinence. It is much cooler in there. The cypress is moist and cool too. The temp is too high above the hide though. Will mess around with the tank more to.bring it down. What a pain in the tail. Hardest animal I've ever owned.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To be honest, get them out of the aquarium and into a proper enclosure and it will get much easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980