• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

dexter is twitching now.

Dirtydmc

Really badly. Been here for two weeks. All the needed elements are there. Been supplimenting dailey. I don't get it. I don't think two weeks from varnyard would come out to a calcium issue when he's been getting calcium added to his food. Maybe too much? I'm getting irradiated. What am I doing wrong?

Dirtydmc

Talked to bobby tonight. He said that there are two things that will cause the thwitching. One, overheating. Two no uvb. He told me that my light was crap and to take it back. Looks like I'm pawning my ps3 that never gets used to buy the powersun.
Do not buy exoterra products. They are bullshit.

Had to pay $1300.00 for rent yesterday, that mixes with baby stuff, and a starter for my car and grocerys........ Yeah. Pawn shop here I come.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dirtydmc said:

Do you have any proof to back this up, I raised my All American on a SolarGlo and didn't have any problems. I used one on my Rhino Iguana as well.

What are your temps and how are you measuring them? You originally said your bulb was 6" away and then changed it to 12" away when someone said 6" was too close.

Dirtydmc

Well, everything else that is controlled by me is right. I've went over all the documents on care here. Talked to bobby about my setup, he days that's my only bad spot. Only wierdo thing is that Dozer didn't start till I fed him tilapia. And as soon as dexter eats some he starts too.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you willing to share pics of your enclosure and temps and humidity, and how you are measuring them?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know you're a few hours away but if you're ever down in the PDX area I'd be happy to give you some of the extra reptile stuff I have laying around. I've got some light fixtrues, hides, wood, heat bulbs, mice lol.

I understand that you're not happy with the product but it could have been that specific bulb, I too use solar glo and have not had issues with it. The overheating thing sounds like it could be a part of it, I have heard of it before but the other posts didn't lead me to believe that your temps were too high. I'm waiting for megaray to get more bulbs, I've really really been wanting to try them out.

Are your bulbs over a screen top? I have read (with beardies) the screen tops filter out any of the uvb that the bulbs produce. I'm not sure if it is 100% true or not, I can look into it more if you'd like.

Dirtydmc

james.w said:
Dirtydmc said:

Do you have any proof to back this up, I raised my All American on a SolarGlo and didn't have any problems. I used one on my Rhino Iguana as well.

What are your temps and how are you measuring them? You originally said your bulb was 6" away and then changed it to 12" away when someone said 6" was too close.
I changed what I wrote, not how far away it was. Was at work when I did the first post.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is hard to help people when they won't provide the information that is asked.

Dirtydmc

james.w said:
Are you willing to share pics of your enclosure and temps and humidity, and how you are measuring them?

55 gallon tank, wide gaped wire top, exoterra digital temp gauge, it matches my digital thermostat in my house withing .1 degree. Humidity measured by a again a exoterra hygrometer. Cypress mulch, misted three times a day. Heavy in the morning, before they are up. And at night after they bed down. zilla liquid calcium suppliments, repcal herpivit vitamins. Foods are turkey, chicken, tuna, tilapia, now.pinkys for dexter. Been trying to get them to eat fruit and behest without luck.
[attachment=3221][attachment=3220][attachment=3219][attachment=3218]Pics.

Basking temps are good. Check the acuracy of the temp gauge when the lights were off.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you have the screen top covered at all to hold in heat and humidity? I would get a calcium powder to use instead of the herptivite.

What are the temps and how are you measuring? Are you using probe style thermometers or the stick on kind? Where are the thermometers located in the cage?

I would try to get them on insects (roaches would be best), but crickets will do. Also get large rodents and cut them up, I'm still sure their calcium intake is very low.

Dirtydmc

james.w said:
Do you have the screen top covered at all to hold in heat and humidity? I would get a calcium powder to use instead of the herptivite.

What are the temps and how are you measuring? Are you using probe style thermometers or the stick on kind? Where are the thermometers located in the cage?

I would try to get them on insects (roaches would be best), but crickets will do. Also get large rodents and cut them up, I'm still sure their calcium intake is very low.

105 in the day. Probe style. Placed adjacent to the basking spot. Dozer will not take bugs. They both refused cut up rats.

Had wet towel on half the cover but the woman took it and won't replace it.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What are the wattages of the bulbs and where do your tegus bask (up on the branches or down on the substrate)? Are they housed together?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your temps are way too high, in my 8' enclosure, I only use a 160W MVB. In my 4x2x2.5, I use a 100W MVB, I even get basking temps of 95 with a basic 50W basking bulb.

Cover the top, use the MVB only, and get some calcium powder. Use the powder everyday on everything you feed.

Dirtydmc

I'll try it out tommaro. Still going to get a powersun. I have too much invested to risk it. What's wrong with liquid calcium?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
After I saw you got it for your colombian, I did a little research and it seems that it is about a 50-50 opinion on whether it works or not. The powder calcium is much more accepted for its effectiveness. I don't have any solid facts or proof, just something I believe. The herptivite doesn't have much if any calcium and on RepCal's site the say to mix it with their calcium at a 1:1 ratio. I would do this 2 times a week and use just the calcium the other days you feed.

As far as the PowerSun v. SolarGlo bulb, that is a personal opinion, if it gives you piece of mind to have the PowerSun than that is what you should use. Can you return it to where you got it and exchange it for a PowerSun and pay the difference? The SolarGlo comes with a 6 month warranty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980