• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

cypress mulch or coconut bricks

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yea, it just rots and turns black, but I have never seen mold at all in Cypress mulch, this might be do to them living in water and building a resistance to mold.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How do you go about using leaf litter? Do you just go outside and grab piles of leaves? That is what comes to mind when I hear the term. Like in fall when all the leaves are piled up at the curb.

I am interested in the idea and have used a Cypress/clean dirt fill mixture in the past. With the leaf litter I would be concerned about mirco/ecto orgainisms coming in with it (mites?). Is there a source for clean leaf litter?

leaf%20pile.jpg

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Shiftylarry,
Do you have species that burrow? Do they like this substrate? Wouldn't centipedes bite?

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I just grab fresh oak leaves off the ground. They seem to deteriorate the slowest. I spread them out before I put them in the enclosure. Of course, the occasional critter gets in. And yes, I do have very very tiny centipedes in my dirt, but they don't like light, so they stay under the substrate. I like bugs, because they break down organic matter and I don't have to change dirt. No, I've never had mites on any of my animals. Nor have I heard anyone mention getting mites from leaf litter before, although it's certainly possible. If you're really worried, I know some people who sell the stuff.

The type of substrate I use depends largely on the animals I keep. Most of my animals are not avid burrowers, so I provide only a small amount of dirt (12 inches is small in my book) and a lot of leaf litter. My blue tongue skink for example has stubby arms and can't move a lot of dirt, but the leaf litter is very forgiving, so he can hide at will. A arid species might prefer a sandy loam as you would find at the bottom of a dry riverbed. Most desert/arid species do not live on sand, but rather the type of loam I just described.

With any animal, research the environment and look up pictures of wild animals to see what kind of habitat the live in. Bugs are welcomed guests for larger species, but may be a problem for small delicate species, so be careful. And, you want to avoid ants at all costs. Pillbugs and earthworms are your friends. If you're worried, you can always start with store bought mixtures and get earthworms from a bait shop.

My advice is give the leaf litter a trial run with your tegus. You can always take it out. I have a feeling they would enjoy it.

-Chris

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Sure olympus. Here is the floor of my pectinata's enclosure.
CageFloor.jpg

BeanSprouts.jpg

As you can tell, there is a lot of stuff. Moss, leaf litter, dirt, sand, etc. If you notice, I have not used oak leaves here, because this cage is in Georgia. Back in Northern Ca, it's very easy to find Oak. Unfortunately I don't have floor pics of the floor of the cage. But here is an example of a cage I built to accommodate dirt and leaf litter:
EdgewaterCage2.jpg

Hope that helps some.

-Chris

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great job!! You obviously have WAY too much time on your hands!!

I'm way too anal to have such random substrate. I have to pat down the substrate to keep it smooth.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Thanks Dave...I think. I'm seriously trying to breed these pectinatas, so I'm leaving "no stone unturned" so to speak.

CoexistExotics

5 Year Member
I am currently using coconut bricks (as it was recommended to me by someone), but I HATE it. I am only using it until I can afford to get new bedding. Honestly, I think it holds moisture terribly and it is obvious that the lizards have a harder time burrowing in it due to its blocky shape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.