• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

cypress mulch or coconut bricks

angelrose

5 Year Member
does cypress mulch get mold ?

lately, I have been hearing alot about coconut bricks / fiber.

which one is better ? what is the truth ?

COWHER

5 Year Member
I use coconut for my wifes crestie and I like it but to keep it moist enough I would worry about it being too wet and your tegu could develop sores kinda like belly rot in snakes... I have used different things and around me the cypress is just way to expensive so i use Hemlock Mulch and is has been fine but if your choices are coconut or cypress I would go cypress.. just my 2 cents

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We use cypress. Only $15 for (3) 3 cubic foot (big!) bags at Agway. (6) bags per enclosure.

It doesn't mold. It is rather sharp when it dries out. I'm dumping water (1.5 gallons each) into the enclosures now.

angelrose

5 Year Member
belly rot :yik thanks COWHER.
I do use cypress mulch for my lizards and snakes as well. I go to home depot, very inexpensive (so far).

I was just wondering because lately I have been reading about coconut bricks.

DaveDragon I read somewhere again that cypress molds and I got worried. I flip it often and I have not seen mold. I remember the pics of your enclosure .....BIG. I am (well not me) working on the final enclosure. I can't wait to show you guys.

thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
I use cypress aswell and yes it can mold but it is very hard to get it to mold because it is naturally mold resistant the only time I have seen it mold is when it is flat out wet and sitting in a bag for 3 months and there were some soft ball size spots of mold. So I wouldnt worry about it.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
redtail2426 said:
I use cypress aswell and yes it can mold but it is very hard to get it to mold because it is naturally mold resistant the only time I have seen it mold is when it is flat out wet and sitting in a bag for 3 months and there were some soft ball size spots of mold. So I wouldnt worry about it.
We have bags sitting in the garage for a few months, that previously had sat outside at Agway for who knows how many months. Some of the bags were very damp & heavy. Haven't found any mold yet.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Are the bags sealed or have airholes my bags were sealed and they sat outside at a garden center for a couple months before that.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
The coconut for a tei would be terrible in every way unless it was under one inch deep, which wouldnt make any sense so I would just stik to ypress for big lizards. My tegu loves the cypress, it holds its shape really well so he has tunnels and a chamber in his enclosure.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
redtail2426 said:
Are the bags sealed or have airholes my bags were sealed and they sat outside at a garden center for a couple months before that.
It's sealed but they are in various degrees of wetness so water must be getting in.

jose2187

5 Year Member
coconut fiber dries out quick near basking areas and to keep humidity levels were they need to be, use cypress mulch

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
For tegus, everything i've read seems to recommend either Cypress Mulch or just plain dirt... I use Coco Fiber with my tarantulas, though.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've never had a problem with it.

I never use one straight substrate, however. The cypress alone is OK in my opinion. But with the coconut, you can mix it with various substrates and make something more useful to your animals than straight cypress.

I've had cypress get in my animal's eyes before, and even scratch them up a bit.

I use a mix of dirt, coco fiber, and cypress, with leaf litter on top.

It seems more natural, and again, I have never had a problem with it, whereas I have seen problems with cypress. Cypress mulch also contributes to habitat loss.

Cypress may be ok for your animals, but I would look into a mix of your own, as it is more natural and in my opinion, healthier.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Mike, thank you. I think that is really interesting and I would like to do the same.

right now I use a mix of top soil and cypress.

just so I know for sure what kind of dirt ? and leaf litter ??
just crumbled up real leafs ?

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Mike, I'm 100% with you on the leaf litter. Completely overlooked by most keepers. I also agree that cocofiber and cypress mulch alone is not great. I keep my substrate about 1 ft or more thick. Do I really need to spend $200 on coco bricks? Pass. And, as said before, cypress mulch can get splintery and irritate eyes.

Just use natural, pesticide free dirt from outside. It's got natural bacteria that breaks down waste. If you dig up the dirt in my enclosures, it's got earth worms, small centipedes and other critters working hard to keep my dirt clean. I never have to change the dirt, and my cage smells fine.

-Chris

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my opinion cypress mulch is a much better choice, it will not mold at all. Cypress trees grow in water and swamps, and are found in the southern states.

untitled-1.jpg

I am not a fan of the coconut fibers, it is very dusty when it starts to get dry.

angelrose

5 Year Member
thank you so much everybody for clearing this up for me. I understand it so much better now.

Bobby if cypress trees grow in water and swamps I guess they do not mold. nice pic.

so then a mix of dirt, cypress and leafy litter ?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
Bobby if cypress trees grow in water and swamps I guess they do not mold. nice pic.

LIVE Cypress trees live in water... and do not mold... a tree in a dead state may act differently...

So I wouldn't assume that any kind of tree that lives in water will not rot if kept near water when not alive...

So logic alone cannot support this conclusion... but experience can... as provided by our host and other experienced hobbyists/breeders... Thanks :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.