• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

crazy Tegu

jdpFL

Thank you for the apology James. Duly noted.
And to clarify a bit, let me use an analogy. I have six children. If I were on a forum for parents, I would feel confident giving advice to new moms...not based solely on what I've read and researched about them, but from over 14 years of experience.
That is the way I feel about this forum, and others like it. I've read all the articles, done all the research. Anyone can do that. I like the aspect of being able to share from personal experience, and learning from others. I would agree however that I should have said cage feeding COULD POSSIBLY result in aggression, not that it definitely will, as that was not what I intended to say or imply. OP was regarding a tegu, which is a lot different from a savannah.
Feeding a large lizard is different than say, a ball python. Lizards are messy eaters. For me, personally, I'd rather not have bits of raw meat, fruits, etc. splattered around where my lizard has to sleep. Just seems easier to take them out. AND....I happen to have reptiles that do not appear stressed by these encounters.
I will concede that feeding in the enclosure can be fine, and works for many. I only wanted to encourage the OP to interact a little more and see what happens.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It seems you are implying I have little experience with tegus/reptiles. Please correct me if I am wrong??

jdpFL

Not trying to imply anything. Sorry for being dramatic. Just forget it.
Your post from a year ago say you are thinking about getting a tegu. You got your sav this past feb. I'm happy that you've learned so much over the past year and are willing to share that knowledge and research. Truly.
Just wish you wouldn't slam others who are trying to enjoy the forum and get answers.
I'll extend the olive branch though. I don't like when things get snotty on here, and I'm sure no one else does either. I just wanna read about tegus, share pictures, and expand my knowledge.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There's more than one way to skin a cat.. I don't think the advice people are giving necessarily clashes in this thread. Also it seems some comments are being made purely to rile feathers and I think that can stop. There are several reasons a lot of people recommend moving to a separate enclosure for feeding:

1) more interaction - they get used to being scooped up daily and moved
2) smaller chance of ingesting substrate and possibly causing an impaction
3) less likely your animal will become cage aggressive

This being said, I do not feed in a separate enclosure. I personally don't see the need and out of the limited number of tegus(3) I've raised from babies none have become cage aggressive nor have I had any impactions. These GUs of mine are quite tame and this is with minimal handling but daily interaction for their first year(minus hibernation of course). I'm not saying anybody should use my method, but it has worked well for me.

jdpFL

Well said, John. That's all I originally intended, to share what works for me. With things like temperature, types of food, vitamins, uv, etc....there are definite proven answers as to what tegus need. With handling, where to feed, leash or no leash, etc....there are a million ways to take care of your pet. And I enjoy reading about them all.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes i am new to Tegus, but other reptiles I have been keeping around 20 yrs.

And like I asked before please show me a post where I slammed someone or said someone was doing something wrong.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm sorry jdpfl, but I have been on this forum for nearly 2 years, another tegu forum for about 4.5 yrs, I have learned everything I know about tegus from bobby hill(as all my tegus came from him) and people like james.w I never seen a post were he berated anyone however when a newcomer comes along with a problem/situation james is usually one of the first to respond with very helpful advice, seems you havnt been on this forum long so I'm curious as to were you are getting this info from

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you reptastic.

And John, I as well agree with everything you have added in this thread. My first post in here was agreeing with reptastic and stating my opinion on the subject. It seems for some reason jdpFL took offense to what my opinion was since it conflicted with hers.

jdpFL

Well this thread is here for all to read, so you can re-read and see where I stated that I fully expected varying opinions on the subject. However, I expected them to be polite.

jdpFL

I do not "manhandle" any of my reptiles. Not do I cause them undue stress. So I suppose I should feel honored to be a part of the "1%" of "successful varanid keepers" who feeds outside the enclosure.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So because I used the word "manhandle" I was not polite. I never said you manhandled anything.

As far as being a successful varanid keeper, I don't think your Sav is old enough for you to consider yourself successful. I would guarantee your practices of the way you keep you Sav would get you laughed off of Monitor specific forums.

TeguLouie

so.... well i try to hold louie at least once a day when i get home from work, and try to feed him around them. his cage is all the right temps, about 105 usually on the hot side and 85 or so i the middle, and a little less on the cool side. at night as im stationed in socal it gets to about 68-70, same numbers with humidity. his mulch is cypress, hes in a 4x2x2 and has about 12-13 hours of light everyday depending on when i get home, or when my wife turns off the light. his diet is mostly ground turkey with vitamins and calcium next week im going to puree his liver and turkey together with the same supplements, he gets two fuzzies every 5 days, and on an occasion he gets a soft boiled egg. he refuses to look at mealworms or any insect at all. shows no interest in any fruit i have put in front of him. the way i get him to come to me is i open his door and either sit with my arm under his his log by the water or i put my back to the open door and wait for him to climp onto my shoulder. he likes to rest on my head. when i reach for him no matter how fast or slow i get tail whipped. doesnt hurt but makes me jump.

when in his bin he just scratches at the sides of his bin, its a black storage tub, and tries to jump out. he hates the water, when i put him in the tub he just goes to the dry side and tries to climb out.

i absolutely love my lizard and want him to grow as big and strong as i can get him. just really want to kow if anythig i am doing is wrong, or if the way he is acting all of a sudden is beacause he is scared or is it the beginning signs of some condition?

we lost him in the bathroom about 6 days ago and i ended up having to cut away a good portion of the cabinet to get him out, after that i held him for a little while to calm him down and warm him up. he seemed fine, even the next day he would come to me. but after that he really has wanted nothing to do with me, he puffs up when ever i walk by his cage, does the huffing sound when i open his door and stands up on all fours at the slightest move towards him. i will not give up, im not getting rid of him for any reason, i just want to make sure he gets the best possible care from me.

i am a first time reptile owner but have been around mostly BP snakes growing up as both my brother and sister have one.

so if anyone can just double check what i am doing and tell me what is good and bad i would greatly appreciate it.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your setup sounds spot on, so my guess would just be an acclimation issue. Just give him time, offer food everyday and spend time in the enclosure spot cleaning and moving things around to show him you aren't a threat. You didn't mention how long you have had him, but I would assume a fairly short time. As far as feeding in the enclosure since he doesn't eat insects you don't have to worry about him chasing food around ingesting substrate. Just put the food in a bowl and put down some newspaper or I used to use a lid from a large rubbermaid tub to feed on.
new2tegus said:
How about we stay on topic and stop pissing in each others sandboxes. Are we back to grade school again.

Thanks for adding your useless 2 cents, if you were so worried about it being on topic you should have stayed out of it.

new2tegus

James, no comment, but then again, you seem oblivious that quite a few people take issue with you condescending tone, or your I know everything responses. I'd be shocked if you aren't on every herp board known, and just as well liked. Please do us all a favor, log and delete....

As far what you said Louie, sounds pretty good and I know how you feel. I'd like to try the multiple foods but mine has gotten picky, and will only eat whole prey items. I'm trying to slowly trick him into getting back on turkey with adding small pieces next to his fuzzies. He took a couple bites of salmon but then walked off. He still is to timid to let me pick him up, climbing up he will do but that gives him a window to bolt.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It seems the people that take offense are those of you that try to be "know it alls" yourself. Like I said earlier I have been PMed multiple times by multiple members asking my opnion on different subjects as well as my reputation on this board. It seem there a many new members here that are distorting the words that I write and turning it into me talking down to people. It is quite difficult to put "tone" into text, but apparently you are mind readers and know how I am coming across.

herpgirl2510

I have a 3 foot 14 month old savannah she is always fed in her enclosure I use tongs with mice. I also will feed Tonka in his enclosure . When I am going to feed them I say their names and approach hands behind the bowl just in case. I have never had an issue with Tonka being aggressive he is 2 42" and about 13 - 14 pounds. Sometimes Lilo my savananh will run up but I show her the back of my hand and she stops. Once she sees only my hand she is uninterested. I think your guy is acclimating it tooks 2 months before chevy my extreme would eat anything but turkey he did not want bugs. Last week he went crazy for the first time for duias. I think one your guy settles in things will get better. The incident of him escaping was probably a bit traumatic. Feeding in or out of the enclsoure is each person's decision. I still do not think people should remove them from their hides or chase them around the tank to catch them and put them in a feeding bin.

jdpFL

I should explain the back story a bit. My snakes I fed in their enclosures. Lizards in a bin or bathtub. I'm sure feeding in the enclosure can work if you don't plan to handle them much, or you find a way to make them not associate the opening of the cage an automatic attack response. The reason I was so excited about feeding in a different location, is this: when we got our tegu I honestly thought if never be able to handle him. It may have been that he was underfed....may have had improper temps or humidity, the enclosure may have been too small...or a combination of all of these things, but he was Very aggressive. When someone got near the door of that enclosure...he rushed it, mouth open...ready for blood. He has never once acted aggressively toward us since we got him. So, all I wanted to say was that for taming purposes, it really CAN be a way to show your tegu, or savannah, that GOOD things happen when their human shows up! Ie. Dinner! :)

Sorry for all the typos, hard to write correctly from phone. Ugh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980