• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

crazy Tegu

TeguLouie

Louie is going nuts right now. i fed him the day before yesterday and he had 2 fuzzy mice. then for the next two days he was huffing and would come near me. today he is climbing and jumping all over the place. looks like he is searching for something and just being spastic. im thawing his turkey meal right now so im going to feed him again and see if he calms down but i just want to make sure that he is healthy. this isnt a sign of anything right?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Why didn't you feed him the other 2 days? Chances are he really like those mice and is looking for more because he is hungry!

new2tegus

Yep, just a heads up, I was measuring his meals, and I started feeding him 2 fuzzies and once checked the weight on them realized two were half what he was use to. So I bumped him up to 4 and he seems much more content and didn't seem to be searching for food. I know he's already getting bored of the cage though, so I will start putting together the new one soon.

TeguLouie

the reason it weas so long between meals is i look at his skin and wait for just a little wrinkle on his side before offering him food, because if i dont he wont eat it. and thats usually every other day. the extra day is because he hid the entire second day and i try not to disturb him. the cage is 4x2x2. with a big hide and a log and personal swimming pool. his temps are all correct. i have his reptizoo 125w about 15 inches from the bottom, humidity is always between 60-70%, and he usually eats every other day. ill try and feed him every day agin but it was just going to waste.

also he wont let me pick him up, if i let my arm rest i his cage eventually he will crawl on me, then i just raise my arm, but definetly cant reach for him. he refuses to eat in his bin so im still feeding him in his cage.

jdpFL

Hm. I'm sure my opinion is vastly different from the rest of the keepers on here....but I believe you should pick him up anyway, and keep feeding him in a bin until he gives up and eats there. My savannah huffed and puffed like crazy at first...(hatchling)....but after a couple weeks learned that my picking him up means some dinner is on the way. I definitely do not condone unnecessarily stressing your reptiles....but when it comes to their care and well being... Sometimes you gotta do what you must. Besides...if you continue cage feeding, eventually you end up with a 3-4 foot lizard who charges you when that cage opens! Yikes! Lol. Again.. My opinion only, and everyone on this forum has one...;)

kellen.watkins

I agree you gotta do what ya gotta a lil stress is way worth a full belly I can't even get my exrtreme out she bails into her hide and I'm not gonna disturb her in her hide

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Atcually feeding in the enclosure isn't guranteed to make your tegu cage aggresive, I personally believe there is more to that, my tegus have all been fed in their enclosures at one time or another and none(expect my red) ever showed cage aggression, that's 5out of 6 tegus, the red was reaching puberty(my guess) he behaved that way regardles of were he was even toward other tegus, I say feed everyday, sometimes those lines may be there and thetegu won't Be hungry and vice versa, before they slowed down my tegus ate everyday even when that line was clearly not visible,just offer a small portion of food before the lights come on and see if he takes it when he awakes

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm with reptastic, I feed all of my reptiles in their enclosures and don't have any problems with aggression. Except my rhino iguana who has just recently started charging his food bowl when I set it in the enclosure. In my opinion the stress caused by manhandling them to move them to a feeding can cause more than just taming setbacks. Stress can cause them to not eat in or out of the enclosure.

I would say 99% of successful Varanid keepers feed in the enclosure.

jdpFL

Lmao James. 99% huh. Got any documentation on those statistics? For that matter, the very act of owning these reptiles is probably stressful to them. Perhaps we should release them all back into their natural habitats.

I was making a suggestion. Based on MY personal experience. I won't pretend to know what "everyone else does" as to feeding and husbandry. Just know what works for mine, and this forum is for sharing any knowledge and experience we all may have.

How did I know there would be this type of response....must be psychic too.

jtpowers

james.w said:
I'm with reptastic, I feed all of my reptiles in their enclosures and don't have any problems with aggression. Except my rhino iguana who has just recently started charging his food bowl when I set it in the enclosure. In my opinion the stress caused by manhandling them to move them to a feeding can cause more than just taming setbacks. Stress can cause them to not eat in or out of the enclosure.

I think the term "manhandling" creates a straw man argument. No need to manhandle if the lizard has become comfortable that good things happen when their keeper comes around, but without having to act like a cage door opening means "snap, attack, kill." Both varanids and teiids are perfectly capable of learning such basic responses and I disagree that it is unduly stressful to gently move them (often with their own conditioned assistance) into a soak, a separate feeding area, a different enclosure, or outdoors for a UV and grass exploration. In fact, I fully expect a CB to behave differently than a recent WC, and why? Simply because they feel more secure, and they have become conditioned to understand that the large mammal walking into their enclosure room is a harbinger of positive events or at least is not a predator to evoke a fight or flight response. The lack of a complete spaz attack and fractious behavior isn't necessarily a sign of a sick animal OR a "stressfully playing dead" one. In fact, I would wager that a varanid or teiid keeper who has regular, predictable, nonthreatening interaction with their lizard as part of the daily husbandry routine is far more likely to notice any symptoms of illness long before the guy who throws a rat in and leaves the room...though to be clear I am also not saying that a responsible keeper who minimizes "handling" is doing anything suboptimal, either.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jdpFL said:
Hm. I'm sure my opinion is vastly different from the rest of the keepers on here....but I believe you should pick him up anyway, and keep feeding him in a bin until he gives up and eats there. My savannah huffed and puffed like crazy at first...(hatchling)....but after a couple weeks learned that my picking him up means some dinner is on the way. I definitely do not condone unnecessarily stressing your reptiles....but when it comes to their care and well being... Sometimes you gotta do what you must. Besides...if you continue cage feeding, eventually you end up with a 3-4 foot lizard who charges you when that cage opens! Yikes! Lol. Again.. My opinion only, and everyone on this forum has one...;)

Any statistics on this. I have proof that this isn't true.

My 99% number is just an educated guess, check out varanus.nl and ask around about who feeds outside of the enclosure, especially hatchling and juvie varanids. I guarantee not one successful member there does it. Notice I say 99% of SUCCESSFUL varanid keepers, there are plenty of people that don't have a clue that feed out of the enclosure.

Why is it ok for you to state your opinion, but when I state my differing opinion I get a LMAO???
jtpowers said:
james.w said:

I think the term "manhandling" creates a straw man argument. No need to manhandle if the lizard has become comfortable that good things happen when their keeper comes around, but without having to act like a cage door opening means "snap, attack, kill." Both varanids and teiids are perfectly capable of learning such basic responses and I disagree that it is unduly stressful to gently move them (often with their own conditioned assistance) into a soak, a separate feeding area, a different enclosure, or outdoors for a UV and grass exploration. In fact, I fully expect a CB to behave differently than a recent WC, and why? Simply because they feel more secure, and they have become conditioned to understand that the large mammal walking into their enclosure room is a harbinger of positive events or at least is not a predator to evoke a fight or flight response. The lack of a complete spaz attack and fractious behavior isn't necessarily a sign of a sick animal OR a "stressfully playing dead" one. In fact, I would wager that a varanid or teiid keeper who has regular, predictable, nonthreatening interaction with their lizard as part of the daily husbandry routine is far more likely to notice any symptoms of illness long before the guy who throws a rat in and leaves the room...though to be clear I am also not saying that a responsible keeper who minimizes "handling" is doing anything suboptimal, either.

I agree the word "manhandling" can cause arguments/disagreements, but I think we are talking about two different things. When a tegu is running to hide, he is not comfortable with knowing good things happen when the keeper is around.

I don't think there is a problem with removing a lizard from it's home to feed if he doesn't contest to being picked up.

jdpFL

I guess it's just your attitude James. Maybe I'm just misreading you, but generally you come across as an expert in the field....with your "opinions." You are very quick to tell everyone else they are doing it all wrong...when truth is....this forum is just a place for folks who love their reptiles to share stories and advice. Seems you are way too preoccupied with being "right" and less concerned with sharing a love of reptiles and the hobby. Hence the "Lmao."

Point to OP was intended to be, if you "can't pick up" your hatchling...what happens when it needs a vet? Or when it's full grown? Then I went on to offer some friendly advice. I clearly stated that this was IMO...and personal experience. Would not attempt to quantify the statistics of feeding in enclosure vs feeding in a bin.

I wonder how many people are discouraged by your "opinions"....since you seem to be consistently obsessed with what temps and enclosures are being used, rather than encouraging and being helpful with the herp experience that you have. I've seen you even go as far as to demand to know where people are getting their money to fed and house their animals. VERY different attitude than simply explaining that this can get to be a very expensive hobby.

So, yeah. Lmao. That's just how I feel.

jtpowers

James, I was going to comment on the other thread today regarding harnesses that I liked your ferret leash...looks more comfy than most iguana leashes I've seen...and that you've got a beautiful looking tegu (is that your AA?) Anyway, unless that sidewalk is in his enclosure, it looks like you also feed him outside the enclosure, at least some of the time. I don't see a problem with that or with the harness, but it appears inconsistent with your statement below.

james.w said:

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jdpFL said:
....since you seem to be consistently obsessed with what temps and enclosures are being used

I think asking the enclosure conditions is a great way to start an inquiry as to what is going on with an animal. Truth be told, it should be included in the first, questionary post as a number of possibilities can be ruled out from the get-go with this information. As an example, this GU's actions could be explained by temps being way too hot and it trying to escape(so hot that burrowing isn't even an option). It could also be explained by a bored, hungry tegu. If it's just hungry or bored that's fine, we can take our time figuring that one out. If the temperature in the enclosure is dangerously hot, there's not really time to beat around the bush. This is especially important when seeking advice in a forum-like setting as answers aren't always right around the corner and giving information piecemeal just doesn't make sense if the well-fare of the animal is your priority. It also doesn't hurt to have recurring posts with actual temps, humidity, substrate, diet and lighting options so new people don't have to search quite so much to find this information. Most of us research and find out the right conditions that our animals require to thrive and do our best to meet these requirements. Unfortunately not all of the information out there is correct so really there's no harm in asking for someone to verify their husbandry stats. Being blunt when we ask for help or give advice is a good way to get the information out there without making people read a long, boring post like I just did. :p

jdpFL

I agree wholeheartedly John. Guess it's just the way it can come across with one particular poster. Maybe just a simple personality conflict, or that it's impossible to inflect too much nuance into text. I just don't like people to feel bullied or discouraged, especially by someone who is relatively new to the hobby. For example, if Varnyard were to reply with certain info, the source would just be more reliable. Years of successful experience and thriving tegus. Rather than just someone with too much time on their hands trying to berate others and discourage them from the hobby.

It still a fact that if I had a problem our question with my tegu, or any other reptile, I feel confident that I'd find the answers and help on this forum.

jtpowers

[quote='JohnMatthew' pid='93395' ]
...without making people read a long, boring post like I just did. :p

[/quote]

Nah, I think I hold the dubious distinction of doing that, especially when someone mentions UVB....but hey, the state of the available bulb market seems to get me fired up... :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you show me a post where I said someone was doing something wrong. I ask for temps, humidity and such because it helps determine what the problem may be. Usually the OP is asking why something is the way it is, these questions help me and others to answer. I would say very few people are discouraged from my "opinions" based on the number of PMs I get from members asking me questions, but you obviously don't get to see those. I did the same thing you did by stating my opinion and what works for me and others I know in the industrdiane did so after another member disagreed with your opinion as well. I am sorry if my wording was offensive or argumentative as it was not intended that way.

jdpFL said:
I guess it's just your attitude James. Maybe I'm just misreading you, but generally you come across as an expert in the field....with your "opinions." You are very quick to tell everyone else they are doing it all wrong...when truth is....this forum is just a place for folks who love their reptiles to share stories and advice. Seems you are way too preoccupied with being "right" and less concerned with sharing a love of reptiles and the hobby. Hence the "Lmao."

Point to OP was intended to be, if you "can't pick up" your hatchling...what happens when it needs a vet? Or when it's full grown? Then I went on to offer some friendly advice. I clearly stated that this was IMO...and personal experience. Would not attempt to quantify the statistics of feeding in enclosure vs feeding in a bin.

I wonder how many people are discouraged by your "opinions"....since you seem to be consistently obsessed with what temps and enclosures are being used, rather than encouraging and being helpful with the herp experience that you have. I've seen you even go as far as to demand to know where people are getting their money to fed and house their animals. VERY different attitude than simply explaining that this can get to be a very expensive hobby.

So, yeah. Lmao. That's just how I feel.

Thanks you and yes that is my AA.

You are correct in that at times I do feed my large tegu out of his enclosure and don't have to chase or manhandle him to get him out. I guess I could have stated that I generally feed in the enclosure and have no problems.

Now with my juvie sav, water, and melinus they are fed exclusively in their enclosures and with exception of me letting my water climb onto my hand are not handled or touched at all.
[/font]
jtpowers said:
James, I was going to comment on the other thread today regarding harnesses that I liked your ferret leash...looks more comfy than most iguana leashes I've seen...and that you've got a beautiful looking tegu (is that your AA?) Anyway, unless that sidewalk is in his enclosure, it looks like you also feed him outside the enclosure, at least some of the time. I don't see a problem with that or with the harness, but it appears inconsistent with your statement below.

james.w said:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980