• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Chewie, the argentine that thinks he's a giant.

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
This is Chewie (previously "tiny") I have had him for just under a week. He is a varnyardigan from Jam and whitey. He was born on june 29th which is roughly 9 weeks ago and is already 23" and that's being conservative. He is of great temperment. Still a lively baby but doesn't mind being handled and just hanging out but when he wants to move he wants to move. Has anyone else had such a young fell grow so fast or is this normal and I dont know it. The last pic is of his cage, about how long do i have until i have to build him his full size one. Oh he eats a small mouse (frozen) twice a week, as well as the turkey mixture, and eggs. All with his vitamin dust. Any questions or comments are appreciated.

28vcbdh.jpg

2ecenup.jpg

34r87e8.jpg

30rxhk6.jpg

Beasty

5 Year Member
THAT is some serious growth! I would suggest you upgrade his cage immediately. That looks to be about the size of my feeding bin, which is actually smaller than what I should have by now.
If you can't go the full deal right now I would go get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and cut it into 4 2x4 parts and then cut one of those into 2 @ 2x2 giving you 5 of 6 sides for a 2x2x4 enclosure for around $10! (and have it cut for free before even leaving the store!!) Get some mis-mixed paint(like $5 per gallon) and 2x2s to get the thing held together and then see about making your door- front loader is better. Get your door made, cut a hole in the top for the light and holes across the back for venting and call it a temporary cage for around $50!!! If he hibernates that will be sufficient until he wakes next year for sure. If he doesn't hibernate you are in trouble and may as well go all out now.
The up side to getting this cage built would be it'll give you some experience building a cage and if you do it well you can sell it later, likely at a profit to someone else not construction savvy and use that cash to recoup some costs of building the larger cage. That's what I would do anyway.
Good luck!

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice I've got all the tools to do it, it's just a matter of getting time to do it. I found a nice hardwood plywood at lowest that just blew everything else out of the water so i think that's what i'll go with. and i was gonna do 7x3x2 cage deffinetely with a front opening.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
This is the cage I made for Beauregard, its a little more than 4.5' long and 2' wide by 2' tall <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2xQt3b16bAWNVBqFgbgyIw?authkey=Gv1sRgCJK9nIWx3evmuwE&feat=directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2x ... directlink</a><!-- m -->

He is now longer than his basking rock. He was hatched out June 10, 2009 and I picked him up from the post office June 30, 2009. He is closing in on thw two foot mark fast! Last measurement, he was 23"

Here are a few pics from today: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RPeHL6O37q2COiG8G_17Ng?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmDksSFxNiRnwE&feat=directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RP ... directlink</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dQKGs4GKs7DoOUwLFjbugw?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmDksSFxNiRnwE&feat=directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dQ ... directlink</a><!-- m -->

...Jefroka

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
thanks richard, he has a great temperment which is the most important thing to me since i have him out for 2-3 hours a day.

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
Yeah he at a golf ball sized turkey mixture and then a handfull of my steak earlier. Eats like a mack truck. What's with the black nose, is that normal. I love it but i'm not sure if i've ever seen one on a regular before.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hey i think our tegus may be brothets lol i git mine on aug 11 and he was about 5 wks old im not sure who his parents were gotta get with bobby on that but he got that same black nose great temperment too i measured him today and he is 21 " long and still growing cant wait to get some pics up i got alot lol

simon021

5 Year Member
Thats insane growth. Here I thought mine was growing fast! 16 inches toward the end of august, and has already grown 3 more to 19 inches as of today. It's insane!

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
Just bought him a harness and leash, when i get back from the pool in a bit i'll let ya'll know how he fares. kinda skeptical, but he's not going outside without one.

AWD247

5 Year Member
Kool keep us posted, thats one of the next things on my list with my extreme, since hes getting big I want him out more, but im not risking him bolting somewhere and me not being able to get him..lol.

Let me know how it goes

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
All went well except it took my wife and i to get him in the harness. He was just in a mood where he didn't want to be confined. but once in the harness he did great, never tried to run just ambled around a bit, getting some real sun.

r29m3s.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan